Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any one been to Soll or areas linked up to it?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at places to go in early march. Probably booking week before but doing a bit of research of possible areas.

Last year I was in Mayrhofen which I enjoyed but was looking at Soll and the ski area looks pretty big. Just wondered if anyone has been there and what they thought.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went there three years ago and had a great week. Lots of places to play and pretty easy to get around. Not sure what use I am though, I generally enjoy wherever we go Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is it fairly steep or flat or is it a bit of all that like Mayrhofen
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I haven't been to Mayrhofen, so I can't offer you a comparison I'm afraid. We're a group of boarders (with one skier) and I can't remember it being particularly flat. I don't remember it being particularly steep either, though, just that there seemed to be plenty to go at and I don't remember going to an area within the larger area that we didn't enjoy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cool, I just like a bit of variety and not really steep as it tends to get all mogally by lunch by lazy skiiers.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm not a boarder, but the Ski Welt is a great area. Soll is long red runs so I would think you would be OK there (no flat bit that I remember). Quite lively at night as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm a skier and just back from Söll, and have been to the SkiWelt about 5 times now, and Mayrhofen three times. The whole SkiWelt area is great, with mainly reds and blues, but there are some excellent black runs as well when the conditions allow. Off-piste last week was variable - there had been a big dump of snow at the start of the week, but it hadn't packed down so the off-piste was light and fluffy but with nothing of substance between the surface and the rocks and roots below. Still lots of fun to be had.

Last week there was a lot of fresh snow, but no moguls to speak of as it was quiet. Early March should have good coverage, though the valley runs at the end of the day may be getting a bit soft as the villages are all pretty low. The main pistes are all above 1100 metres, up to ~1800, so should be fine.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is food cheap? Not sure on half-board or b&b
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are several places to eat in Söll that I'd recommend - the Schulhaus on the main street does American plus pizzas and pasta at ~€10-12 per person (and has a small no-smoking area to the right of the entrance), the Postwirt has typical Austrian fare for about €10-15 each, the excellent Whiskey Mühle has a whole no-smoking bar where you can get simple stuff like a steak baguette or a burger for €8-10 washed down with Brew Dog beer or a range of other liquids, and then at the top end there's the Auf da Mühle steak house above the Whiskey Mühle where a 400g fillet will set you back about €35 but is well worth it.

We were in an apartment, but ate out on most nights.

Beers are around €4 to 4.50 depending on location - apres at the end of the valley run in Moonlight (large no-smoking bar at the rear) or in the HexenAlm or Hexenbar was OK, and as we were central in the village we tended to ski down to the roundabout and then walk 100m rather than taking the bus, which stopped surprisingly early at 1645. On a board, this would be less likely, and you'd probably walk most of it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow, this is great information thank you. I was just heading out before so sorry for such short reply.

Halfboard is an extra £100 but I figure with food that cheap there is probably not much in it.

Sounds like a nice place to go and I loved the Austrian way. Clean, effecient and friendly.

We are going to try book something a week before we go so all this really helps.

Thanks for you time
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As mentionned above, Soll/the SkiWelt is full of long reds and steepish blues. Not many flats at all that I can remember and as said above as well, not too steep. It's not very challenging terrain at all. But it's a fun place nonetheless. Apres is great as well.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I want fun and mellow. Want to be carving about looking for little bumps to hop off etc
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We were in Hopfgarten last year and we're in Soll on 4th March this year. Ski welt is a great place with plenty to keep you occupied for a week. Lots and lots of reds with a few blues and blacks thrown in. Nice and wide in the main and plenty of off piste to the side or between runs to play around in.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Funny, just talking about this earlier today ......

Been to Soll once, for a week about five seasons gone, and would go back only if it was free ...... after Grandvalira quite possibly the worst area I've been to. My mate's a bit of an 'Austro-phobe' and he'd pass as well.

Might be big however generally very 'samey' and, yes, we did all of it, several times. Westendorf is ok, nicest of the terrain, with a long red that takes you to the back of beyond, but the lifts were mostly older and slow.

There's one section where all you seem to see are chairs shooting off in various directions, including a 'double quad', like some giant theme park in the mountains. Not my idea of why I'm there. And then there's that crappy, glacially fast, little two man bubble chair thing up near Elmau ....... you could hear us laughing in Brixen ......

Apres' full of post pubescent Brits chucking up everywhere, and staff smoking behind the bar counter. Nice. Beer's ok though, even the low cost plain label stuff reserved for locals & seasonaires, although it will mostly certainly 'clean' you out.

The Vialattea is a much better option.

Obviously JMO, your results may vary, and you did ask .......
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It is low and flat.
snow report
Thanks for the honesty, this is why I love posting on here. You get a good amount of info.

BCjohnny are you a boarder or skier? Also where is the place you live going, just as a contrast?
snow report
Boarder mate ...... twenty odd years going on now, with a couple out due to injury.

I've had some of the best times in some of the less 'fashionable' places, a few of them just downright derided on here. It's often what you make it. I'm off to a very much maligned area in around ten days, completely by choice, and definitely looking forward to it .......

The SkiWelt is like being on a conveyor belt inside of some great big machine, and some areas of the towns, St Johann for instance, are fairly industrial. No, I don't want 'chocolate box' kitsch, just prefer not to be in a snowier version of what I see back home.

If you can stretch to it some of my favourite areas are in AB & BC, for the terrain, infrastructure, attitude and vibe. JMO
ski holidays
Yeah I have risen in NZ, Japan, USA and now Europe so I get what you saying.

Where are you off to?
snow conditions
I don't think the options are Soll or BC or japan, soll of the cheaper options for skiing/snowboarding. I've been there a few times, the village is nice with good food options, Salvenstahl for apres and have a simmel. Its Fairly Laid back, because it is a real village prices are pretty normal. most people speak english.

do not attempt to go down the run to the valley in the evening it will be icy and dangerous.

Soll has night skiing which is good

Late feb, early march should be good but it is a low level resort. you are close enough to scheffau which is slightly higher

they got snow earier than the last few years. so signs of the season seem to be good.

there is a small group of locals that are dedicated snowboarders and the snow park seem to be good.

I quiet like it, are there better places to go ? yes but not at this price point
snow report
Yeah, I am just sizing up my options. I am trying to avoid the club 18-30 type ski places where its boarding for the masses.

My friend is keen on la plagne, end of the day I want to pay £500 ish all in or less

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 21-01-17 19:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
have you looked at Poland? it is cheaper and they are meant to be into Snowboarding there
ski holidays
Been to Soll and Scheffau four times and loved it. Big area with varying difficulty runs. lovely town and it's Austria!! whats not to like.

Go there and enjoy.
snow conditions
KernowRed wrote:
I am trying to avoid the club 18-30 type ski places where its boarding for the masses.

You've pretty much just described Soll.
ski holidays
Ski Welt is a big area but not the highest. I much prefer Westendorf to Soll as there is a great long run at the back of the mountain called Ki West. At the bottom you can take a 5 minute shuttle bus and link in to Kitzbuhel for the day. The tree lined "back bowl is also great if it's snowing. The village of Westendorf is small and yet there always seems to be some lively apres around too.
latest report
Pampovo is looking cheapest all in I can find t the moment.

Not sure what the snow will be like in March though so will have to see.

Looks pretty mellow, maybe all a bit samey though. I know it's more of a beginners resort.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy