Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains or winter tyres

Poster: A snowHead
mooney058 wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, in what sense is that a sanity check? Based on what?
I was making the point that a good set of winter tyres IS pretty expensive for the OP. Far more than most good quality jackets and if you go for really good tyres then you are into Bogner territory.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski3 wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, I think that's entirely reasonable.

Not everyone needs, is in a position to or wants to get a "special" set of tyres for one trip. It's completely within the constraints of the prevailing laws for that destination to proceed equipped as OP has indicated, with existing setup and carry chains.

I think we are agreeing with each other. That was precisely my point.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mooney058, that's not a very good analogy, drinking and driving, and no I wouldn't condone that. That would prevent you making reasoned decisions which is clearly not the case here.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mooney058 wrote:
billb wrote:
For a single trip where you are driving to and from resort only I don't think it's worth the expense of winter tyres. I've driven both RWD and FWD cars in snow using chains on driven wheels without issue albeit very slowly. With FWD the chains are assisting the steering as well and the chains hold you back when descending. Not comfortable but, in my experience, they work. If you are driving more extensively then, yes, winter tyres would be worth it.

if one is doing a single trip - does is make sense having googles and ski jacket/trousers or one can use a track suit and regular gloves? When skiing slowly and carefully it would work, right?

A good ski jacket cost the same as a set of good 15-16-17 inch winter tyres.

Well, at the risk of thread drift if a friend came to me and asked what he absolutely needed for what might be a one-off skiing trip in March/April then I'd say 'Borrow whatever kit you can. If you can't borrow a ski jacket then you might well be OK with whatever jacket you can find. track suit bottoms are hardly ideal but might be fine if it's warm. Equally you can get by without ski gloves if you have something else that is toughish and reasonably warm. Goggles? Well, you might well get away without needing them. Take sunglasses and be prepared to buy some in resort (same for other kit).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@foxtrotzulu, yes I totally agree with you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Surely it depends on which resort @diggerdave, is driving to as to how necessary winter tyres are. Some resorts are quite easily accessed from well cleared auto-routes and others require nerves of steel to drive up in slippery conditions. We regularly drive to the Swiss Alps but because of the nature of the last 15 Kms or so I would never contemplate having anything other than a decent set of snow tyres on my car in the winter. The road has about 25 hairpins mostly with 500 m drops if you get it wrong plus it crosses a 500m cliff with passing spots every 50m because it is not wide enough for two cars to pass. The gradient exceeds 10% in several places, I know them all intimately through cycling the road in the summer.
Several work colleagues have tried the drive with and without winter tyres and generally seem to arrive as nervous wrecks usually phoning me up when they get there to ask if they can raid the wine cellar to calm the nerves. For what it's worth we drive an A3 with Michelin Alpina winter tyres just occasionally the car bottoms out on deep snow but this is very rare on the main roads as the Swiss are so efficient at clearing them. A 4x4 would avoid this for sure but I couldn't be doing with driving one around all year.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I'd rather run RWD and winters than 4wd and summers.

+1. Our car has 4wd and I'd still not be happy in Jan / Feb without winter tyres.
OP is talking about late March... OK odds are in your favour by then.
On the other hand - Flaine. That's a long drive at altitude with LOTS of hairpins. Honestly, I'd want winters for that even in March.
And SUVs are not clever on summer tyres - weight and height are not your friends when you are trying to get round a downhill hairpin.

BTW - you don't need somewhere to keep four wheels (although that is what we do). Tyre dealers will generally hold your tyres over winter/summer and swap them onto your one set of wheels for a reasonable fee.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The OP is driving to Flaine at the end of March. The road up to Flaine is as good as you'll get in the Alps - two lane all the way with some tight hairpins but always crash barriers. I've driven up and down it 14 times mostly in February usually in a Volvo estate but once (in 1981) in a Triumph 2500, always on summer tyres. The first four occasions were in cars without ABS. I've needed chains two or three times only. The road is cleared quickly after a snowfall. I take it easy and let the French speed past me presumably on winter tyres.

I should add that cars have moved on considerably in that time period and I think there is now a tendency to expect to drive the same way all year round due to the cosseting effect of modern cars with ABS and various other brake assist systems, excellent though these are. Look how close people drive on the motorway - crazy. There is no doubt that winter tyres will sometimes keep you out of trouble where summer tyres might not, but you still need to drive according to conditions. Many an AWD SUV with winters tyres has slid off the road or collided with another vehicle. It is increments in protective equipment and systems that have no doubt helped with vehicle safety. For this thread I guess it is a question of what is considered a minimum specification to drive up a particular mountain road in early Spring.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well put @billb, I found that route as you've described it.

You made a very important point about approach to any road conditions and how you moderate pace and progress in tackling any risks you meet.

Some of the posts on tyre threads immediately go to complete and utter failure if you don't comply with their views, if that were the case regarding grip you'd surely get no crashes on completely dry tarmac with the grippiest tyres you could possibly imagine. We all can see that's not the case though.

And for those that smuggly drive around on "winter" tyres assuming you are in any way safe from black ice, you may be alarmed to know that for all rubber tread, ie not metal studded, there is almost no difference in any general use tyres. That limit is also comically slow at around 15kmh. If you drive with any normal dry pace and an approach that doesn't acknowledge the true hazard in front of you, physics is not going to save you.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For a one week holiday in France summers and chains are fine. For more than that get winter tyres. Sorry if thats to straight forward.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin wrote:
For a one week holiday in France summers and chains are fine. For more than that get winter tyres. Sorry if thats to straight forward.

That's what I would do. Can you switch the Merc to 2wd?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@billb, Sorry missed the bit about Flaine. As@boredsurfin, says for one week summer tyres and chains should be fine.
The winter tyres are on my wife's car who regularly needs to drive snowy places in the NW such as Oldham 24/7. In fact they were needed this last weekend, nothing smug about that @ski3, just common sense.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The thing is, some have stated on this thread that winters may cost upwards of £ 400..., if this is the case then they are running vehicles in the upper brackets, and therefore should be able to afford the correct tyres to go with their fat alloys and expensive ski holidays. My 350hp Impreza hatch's winter tyres cost under £400, Nokian wr a3, 245 18 40, and will last for 5 seasons if my last ones are anything to go by, and I earn under the national average.
It must be terrible running a car that needs £ 600/1000 of tyres, poor dears, I feel for you...not. Really? Just get smaller steel wheels, like anyone who lives in the mountains.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rareperk, I've no problems with what you've said for that environment at all, eminently sensible for the terrain you've described. None either with your described use in this country, they are both a sensible illustration without any overriding alarm as to understanding the conditions you face.

What I'm amused by is the portrayal of some types of tyre (not your own observations) as so vastly capable that they can even offer safety when confronted with black ice, which I'd like to see the proponents demonstrate.

I think any reasonable discussion without the sensationalist overtones can only serve to help others looking at these threads.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheapest rims + winters ~£140 a corner:
https://cars.tyreleader.co.uk/tyre-pack/28751/alloy-222643/?mm%5B%5D=&si=153&c=0&v=0&season%5B%5D=W&sa=&t=&mount=0&sort=prix&p=1&

Bump up to £182 for Nokian WR SUV3.
latest report
In the uk you can get away with winter tyres just on the front assuming fwd. That's because when it snows everyone drives at 10mph so no concerns about losing the back end. Just be aware that the handbrake might not work on steep snowy slopes.

If driving on the continent however you will need them on each corner as noone slows down !
latest report
Had a rip in one of the winters on our Skoda superb last week before leaving, and got a Michelin replacement at ATS for £ 62.... Peanuts compared with Tarentiese lift pass costs.
snow conditions
Putting winter compound tyres on just one axle only is really bad advice for the average driver, because there will be very little warning, at speed in an icy situation, before the summer pair break away. This can easily happen when there is no snow, even in wet conditions when pressing on
snow conditions
Who drives at speed in the UK in snow or icy conditions?
snow report
ski3 wrote:
@Rareperk, I've no problems with what you've said for that environment at all, eminently sensible for the terrain you've described. None either with your described use in this country, they are both a sensible illustration without any overriding alarm as to understanding the conditions you face.

What I'm amused by is the portrayal of some types of tyre (not your own observations) as so vastly capable that they can even offer safety when confronted with black ice, which I'd like to see the proponents demonstrate.

I think any reasonable discussion without the sensationalist overtones can only serve to help others looking at these threads.

A good winter tyre will and should behave much better even on blackmice than a 255 wide summer tyre. I know as I have tried it. I know as I am a car enthusiast and I follow the topic. I know because I have seen such accidents in person with grave consquences. 255 wide summer tyre is ok on summer or even dry cold road. Are you suggesting thrat that dry or warm conditions are guaranteed on a way to/from Flaine end-March?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 17-01-17 0:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@ski3, sorry but you have to be tired of living to drive in the Alps in winter on summer tyres. The difference in performance below 7C is dramatic even without snow, and in slightly snowy conditions chains are useless and summer tyres less than useless.
ski holidays
@mooney058, you certainly known alot!

@Steilhang, you're making the assumption that I'm driving around as you describe, that may or may not be true.

This thread started with the question of if you needed to carry chains for those roads marked as requiring such is France, to which I answered yes.

By offering such emphatic absolute answers you effectively don't contribute to any further ongoing discussion. Reasoned opinion can be seen for what it is, an open discussion of various elements relating to a serious subject.
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
Who drives at speed in the UK in snow or icy conditions?

It's got nothing to do with snow or ice. No one in the tyre trade would recommend putting winter tyres on one axle only. It would be unwise in normal conditions.
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:

Not even for one week - half a year or even more are ok on summer tyres in the Alps - from end of Spring to autumn.

What difference is it if the OP drives there once, twice or more often? Is it a statistical excercise - one week is OK but 2-3 weeks not? Or is it that car equipment should be suitable to road conditions of the season when a person driving a car is in the said place? Not even Noza can 'predict' weather that far in advance for a specific location. Your suggestion - is not even an educated guess, it is a random opinion based on a hope that it will be OK, but how can you be certain about it?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 17-01-17 10:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
ski3 wrote:
@mooney058, you certainly known alot!

@Steilhang, you're making the assumption that I'm driving around as you describe, that may or may not be true.

This thread started with the question of if you needed to carry chains for those roads marked as requiring such is France, to which I answered yes.

By offering such emphatic absolute answers you effectively don't contribute to any further ongoing discussion. Reasoned opinion can be seen for what it is, an open discussion of various elements relating to a serious subject.
I'm not making any assumptions. I'm saying that it is unsafe to use summer tyres below 7°C, and they are almost unusable on any kind of snow. That's all.
ski holidays
Perhaps it's better to look at it the other way 'round?: In my case, it was the annual drive down to the Alps which swung things in favour of getting a set of winter tyres. They're still very useful in the wet and cold of a British winter, as they tend to be more resistant to aquaplaning anyway, and you're all sorted for the annual ski trip as well. You don't wear your summers out while the winters are on, so the overall cost is mainly in the charge to swap.

I appreciate that it's easy for me to recommend fitting winter tyres because the reader pays the cost: but there there are no downsides outside of cost. But I'd never recommend to someone that they will always be OK on summer tyres in an Alpine winter trip because the downside is somewhere between considerable inconvenience and death. Of course, a really bad outcome is highly unlikely, and what we experienced two years ago is more probable: driving 'round Lake Geneva it was very slushy, especially between the lanes. When cars moved lanes some were skidding, and these conditions were persisting all the way 'round Geneva to Bourg en Bresse. Cars with winter tyres on coped OK but these are exactly the conditions where summers would be lethal and chains/snowsocks impractical, and where winter tyres come into their own.

Oh, and do not ever mix winter and summer tyres. It's a lethal combination. Any tyre manufacturer (I used to work for Pirelli) will tell you that, as will any dealer. Have an accident with this combination on and and you are very likely to have your insurer repudiate their liability completely.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 17-01-17 11:22; edited 4 times in total
latest report
We bought Goodyear winter tyres for our Christmas ski trip and it was worth making the purchase for this trip alone. Encountered black ice on the motorway on the drive back through northern France. Drove past a large pile up on both carriageways probably caused by the icy conditions. We stopped at a service station just afterwards and the road surface was so slippery we were struggling to stand up in normal shoes. Since getting back we've had a few cm of snow and many cold mornings so it has been nice having the tyres for local driving too.

Some of the online sites have very reasonable prices. We used blackcircles and the tyres were delivered to a local garage for the fitting.
ski holidays
Traction Control: Oh, and remember that on a lot of cars you have to disengage your normal stability control and/or engage traction control when you are on snow or chains. Best time to research this is before you go and try it out so you know what buttons to press or menus to select. Most Owner's manuals will give the details, or ask your garage. In my BMW I have to disable DSC and enable DTC by pressing the car-with-wavy-lines button (this is not the same as the 'comfort' vs 'sport' settings and the manual is quite confusing in it's use of acronyms). On a previous A3 there was a similar button to push. Worth checking for your car ..... (this is also worth checking when you collect a hire car for skiing, with the added problem of the manual not being in English, of course).

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 17-01-17 11:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LaForet, I was recently told that you should only disable it to get moving and then turn back on again. Does anyone know if this is correct?
snow report
Whatever your vehicle's Owner's Manual or dealer says ... here's the extract from mine:

'When driving with snow chains, activate Dynamic Traction Control briefly if necessary' and '..it is best to activate DTC for a short time: When driving in slush or on uncleared, snow-covered roads / If the vehicle has to be rocked out of, or stared in deep snow or on a loose surface. / Driving with snow chains.'

It also gives a short summary of what disabling the usual Dynamic Stability Control means in terms of degraded cornering performance i.e. enabling DTC focuses the car on getting the best forwards grip but removes the usual priority given to preventing oversteer on cornering. The manual stresses that you must alter your driving to acknowledge that the electronics aren't helping you any more re cornering controls. My car has 328BHP to the rear axle so in normal circumstances, the DSC is intervening to stop an oversteer spin if I get it wrong - but with DTC on that's not there. Although I'd be mad to be driving energetically on snow or with chains.

I interpret 'for a short time' to mean while the conditions persist that made me engage traction control in the first place. And that once these conditions are removed, you go back to 'normal' stability control.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 17-01-17 11:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@LaForet, Yep that's my way of interpreting it, I just drive with it on tbph no issues, just drive slowly as you would expect in those conditions and you are fine.
snow conditions
Quote:

The OP is driving to Flaine at the end of March. The road up to Flaine is as good as you'll get in the Alps - two lane all the way with some tight hairpins but always crash barriers.

While that's certainly true, the main roads in Flaine itself don't get cleared too often and were compacted snow and ice on my last visit last Feb. Flaine is sort of car free, but unless you're staying out of town you will need to use those roads to get yourself, or at least your stuff, to/from your accommodation. When I did it there were French cars (presumably with summer tyres) sliding all over the road in Flaine Foret. One was blocking the road until it slipped backwards and gently collided with a parked van, leaving enough room to squeeze through! I was glad of winter tyres and chains just for the final couple of hundred yards to the apartment.
latest report
Quote:

I'm saying that it is unsafe to use summer tyres below 7°C

Oh come on that's rubbish - I'd say the percentage of people in the UK who use winter/all-season tyres is tiny and yet millions of people drive perfectly safely in temperatures below 7c each year. I didn't see a single crash on my way to work today

By all means say it is safer to use winter tyres in temp below 7c
ski holidays
If you're finding your tyres "unusable" in the UK it may be a training issue. Here's what the Association of British Insurers say about winter tyres (my italics):

"Many motorists fit their vehicles with winter tyres to make driving easier in extreme weather conditions.
Most motor insurers do not charge additional premiums for vehicles fitted with winter tyres,
provided that the tyres are roadworthy and have been fitted in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions."

The reason they don't give you a discount is that ordinary tyres are manifestly usable in the UK, which is why we don't have winter wheels laws. Next time a sales guy tries to sell you a tracking device, ask your insurer for a discount... that's the quick way to tell if any of these things actually affect your risk.
--
I find stability/ traction control makes winter driving much safer. It lets you steer in all conditions; you can hammer the brakes in an emergency; you get an early indication from the yellow light of traction issues.

I'm sure reading the manual is a good idea, but I never turn this off.

If you're driving on black ice I'd say that not much short of studs or grit would help.
latest report
Winter tyres are significantly more resistant to aquaplaning in the wet. This feature is attractive in any British winter, irrespective of ambient temperature. But it's probably not enough on its own to swing most owners. Last year's average UK winter daytime temperature was 5.5°C and winter tyres begin to be better than summers under 7°C, so again, on its own, this may not be enough to persuade someone to switch (although if you commute by car in the Rush Hour, then you do hit 80 or so days a year when the temperate is significantly less than the average). However, if you take all these benefits as a UK car driver and add that you are going to drive in Alpine conditions where winter tyres are really useful, then I'd argue that it greatly increases the case for having them, as I recommended to the OP.

Chain manufacturers only make chains and so they don't make much reference to winter tyres - why would they? If you're looking at their website or their product from a retailer you're already close to buying. Web or publicity material isn't going to ask you 'Have you considered winter tyres?' - "I'm going to the Alps and need chains ..." begs the response "Yes sir/madam, of course. And we have plenty to choose from." not "Well, although we only sell snow chains you really should consider the case for winter tyres first, before you spend any money with us."

And re insurers. I don't think you can infer anything. I've worked for a motor insurer and discussed this. Currently UK customers buy winters of their own volition at their own cost, so why give a discount? And why break ranks for what's only a small part of the market? Calculating premiums is a complex and very esoteric actuarial discipline, dominated by post-doctorate statisticians and actuaries. It is very hard to calculate what discount to give as it's hard to know how much the claims levels would reduce. And fraud is a massive problem - people could simply claim they have winter tyres on when they haven't. So I can see why they don't bother. This does not mean that winters aren't worth it for a UK car owner.

Re stability and traction control. Apologies - I don't want to get people confused - My car has two completely different modes that you have to choose between i.e. either stability (the default) or traction (has to be selected). The two are mutually-exclusive. Using the stability default in snow or with chains has the system working against you, so the recommendation is to switch it to traction. But go back to the default as soon as you're on tarmac again. Again, see what your Owner's Manual says about snow and chains. In some cars, there is no such choice and there's 'just' a traction system (this isn't meant as a criticism) and in some there's a specific 'snow' setting for the kinematics (love that word ...).

So if you're reading this as someone driving their car to the Alps even once a year, I think that the scales tip strongly in favour of having a winter set. While your winters are on, your summers aren't, so the 'cost' is primarily that of switching-over (say £100/year, if that) and possibly storage. The capital cost of the tyres is a Red Herring if, as you should, you amortise the cost of both winter and summer tyres across their combined lifetime. For those who change their car within 3-4 years, this could mean that they don't have to get a new summer set before they change cars. (I appreciate that if it's not new, or you do a high mileage, then this may be less compelling financially, if you still have to replace the summers before you change cars).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 17-01-17 20:36; edited 8 times in total
snow conditions
But, @philwig**, summer tyres do decrease in effectiveness, let's say below 7C. Chains are only really useful in quite thick (? >5mm?) snow, by which point summer tyres are probably only useful as a home made skid pan.

Stability and traction control in snow above whatever depth is the limit tend to result in an immobilised car as the car is just not smart enough to arrive at a solution within its safety constraints. Or has exited the highway sideways and upside down*

(*probably not so very probable but eminently possible)

** apologies if misunderstood, thread tl:dr completely
ski holidays
If you read the thread you'll find no one suggesting otherwise.

It's minus one out there in the UK right now, and yet there are no cars sideways or upside down.

<laughs>You're crazy people
ski holidays
Three weeks ago I was in front of a Boxster coming off the A27 roundabout at Lewes and he spun 3 times on the exit to the DC - fortunately no one hurt. Temp was 4.5C and tarmac wet. I was going slightly faster than him but rock solid on my winters. Yesterday saw a car in the field by A27 eastbound by Hove - he'd spun and gone through the fencing: fortunately had the space to stop. Temp was around 4C and wet tarmac again. So there are plenty of accidents out there. I think it's reasonable to look at it scientifically and make a fact-based judgement. I don't see any link at all between your or my level of accident observations and whether I should get winter tyres or not.
snow report
I drove my Boxster approx 5 yards in the snow in the 3 years I had it. Up to top of drive and back onto it. Hopeless. XC90 on summer tyres also hopeless. Jeep Grand cherokee on winters, awesome, drove up to Val D in a foot of fresh no bother. Current 1.6 Golf of mrs endo on winters is great in Peak District, we run winters all the time. Off to Val on fri in RWD merc, but just put new winters on the back , again have run winters all the time for 12 months, with no problem. I have some summers tucked away in the garage for both cars, but never felt the need to swap back. Winters have lasted fine.
ski holidays
@LaForet, the Boxster driver was presumably being enthusiastic with the loud pedal. Powerful engine, lots of torque at the wheels, lost the back. You need to know how to drive it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy