Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WHERE TO SKI

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Where to go?
2 girls complete beginners never skied before. can only go on the 2oth of feb 2017 for 4 or 5 nights.
some people have said that is not long enough, as it will take us a while to learn, i don't mind though we just want to go more for the fun of trying something new.
where is a good place to go recomendations please
need somewhere good for beginers
somewhere that looks nice
maybe other stuff to do apart from skiing to
somewhere easy to get to like could get train from airport or easy transfer (traveling from the uk)
not too expensive

or there good recommended companys you can book short ski breaks through, that people have used before or do it your self advice.

i think it would be so much fun, hopefully its not that hard to learn

thanks

Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most places in France are easy to get to from the UK as there are dedicated transfer companies that will take you from e.g. Chambery, Geneva or Toulouse (for Andorra), so you want somewhere pretty with easy skiing. Most ski resorts are in outstandingly beautiful areas (one of the big appeals of it!) even if some of the purpose built villages aren't the prettiest. So that leaves easy skiing, lots of blue runs. Val Morel is ideal in this respect as well as being a very pretty village, maybe not the cheapest though. Pas de la Casa or Soldeu in Andorra should be a bit cheaper, Soldeu is smaller and prettier than Pas but Pas has better après. Avoriaz (near Geneva) is great for beginners and has lots of self catering accommodation (far cheaper than a hotel).

Your main problem if you go with a package company (e.g. Crystal, Inghams, Neilson etc) is they mostly do 7 day packages. They make it easier to book a full package, flights, transfers, accommodation etc but you lose flexibility. It really isn't that much more bother to do everything yourself though and you'll save money this way.

Quote:
i think it would be so much fun, hopefully its not that hard to learn

It's amazing fun and you should definitely give it a go, you would benefit a lot from having a few lessons at an indoor slope in the UK though, this would give you a headstart when you get to the proper slopes and maximise your enjoyment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Definitely agree with lessons before you go.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@newonskis, Depends a bit on where you live and where is easy to fly to. France tends ot be very busy at that time as it is in the middle of the main French holidays , you might be better with Austria via Salzburg or Innsbruck if possible.

http://www.austrian-adventures.com/

Belongs to a forum member and comes highly recommended though I have never been, but is in the kind of area which would be good for a short trip.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get yourself to a snowdome or a dry slope for a few hours and get a feel for it then if you enjoy you will have a little experience and you can explore a bit more when you go on your holiday.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd second Austria, prettier and cheaper and less crowded. A number of resorts are also quite close for train transfer from Munich which throws up more flight options.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Where abouts are you in the UK? It determines your proximity to a dry slope or snow dome, and a bit to your nearest airport.

I would strongly echo lessons, before and probably there too. Flying somewhere to fall down a lot seems expensive to me!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks for advice. I do live near a place that does indoor ski lessons, and the person I am traveling with is near a snow dome so we will be able to take an indoor lesson before and hopefully learn some basics. I will have a look at the resorts mentioned and hope to take a lesson when there to. Austria mentioned a lot so i will have a look at that link.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@newonskis, This will sound strange but it depends if you smoke or not. I for one could not even think about going to a bar or restaurant that people are smoking in.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@newonskis, (thanks @T Bar, for the recommendation wink

It is a pretty busy time over the whole of Europe so it could be a little harder to find mid-week short stays than normal.
I don't see why a short break is not worth it in regards of learning to ski.

You would need to take private lessons as the group lessons would have already started but a couple of hours together should nail the nursery slope, with luck the next two hours may get you up the mountain!
When I do private lessons the difference in the learning speed between groups and private is massive! You are limited by the speed of the weakest member of the group (which can sometimes be a little frustrating!)

As @T Bar suggested, it is a nice short transfer to Ski Amadé from Salzburg (about 40 minutes) but there are also bus and train options too. The early flights from Stansted also make it possible to get on the slope by the afternoon.
I had some learners one year that did just that.... flew in, got here, then we buzzed down to the slopes and I did a 2 hour lesson in the afternoon!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Where do you live; makes a difference re flights.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The first ski trip my wife and I ever did was shortly after a morning's tuition in Milton Keynes fridge. We got the basics there (starting to parallel turn) and then had three mornings (two hours a time) of private lessons with ESF in Les Houches over a long weekend (three full days of skiing). I can't recommend private tuition enough as it means you move at your pace and not the slowest member of the group.

In my opinion anyone saying that 4 or 5 nights is not long enough to learn is talking utter rubbish. You may not be the best skier by the end of it but you will have learnt (and more importantly practiced) enough to ensure you can ski most pistes anywhere and have a great (and safe) time on the mountain.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Seefeld in Austria is good for beginners - not too expensive to get there, very cute Austrian village and a selection of areas to try. The Geigenbuehel hill is ideal if you've never set food on snow before, Gschwandkopf has some cruise-y blues for when you're a bit more confident and the Rosshuette has slightly more challenging terrain and gorgeous views.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have only ever been for two or three nights at a time due to family and work commitments, and while I'm proof that that doesn't turn you into an excellent skier, I always have fun! I find France easy - Geneva and then book a transfer to a nearby resort. I book flights separately and hotel on booking.com or a similar site. When price is important, it's handy to find resorts who give cheaper lift passes to beginners or even have free beginners areas, as you don't need to pay for access to hundreds of km of piste when you can hardly stand up! We have done Seefeld and I can second that as a suggestion - easy train ride from Innsbruck, and beginners area. The only thing is I find the flights there are more expensive and less frequent than Geneva.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy