Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon XT12 Bindings Adjustment

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

After a little bit of advice.

I have a set of Salomon XT12 bindings. I have set the toe and heel pieces to my correct boot length of 305mm. When I put the boot in the bindings the forward pressure indicator is not sitting in the designated zone. Does anyone know how to adjust the bindings so the forward pressure is correct?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ignore the BSL scale on the heel as most of the time it's inaccurate (ie when set to the BSL the forward pressure is not right, just as you've experienced).

Set the toe to your BSL (or wherever you want to position your boot on the ski, ie a bit forward for hardpack/ice or a bit back for powder/slush etc).

Position the heel so that when the boot is installed the forward pressure is correct.

From a safety point of view that bindings can be anywhere on the ski so long as the forward pressure is correct.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi

Thanks so much for the response.

As I have done exactly as you suggest and the forward pressure is now absolutely spot on. Set the BSL on the toe piece to 305mm and moved the heel piece back one notch and all is well. Seems a bit counter intuitive to move the back piece to a length that is not actually your BSL but it has certainly worked a treat.

Regards
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Griggs, yep, it's poor design & totally misleading to have the heel scale marked in BSL's. Far better for the heel to have an alpha scale or 1,2,3,4 etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi

One final question, do I need to do any height or other adjustments on the toe piece? Think it is all auto on this binding but just wanted to check.

Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lots of info in this Doc

http://salomontechnician.com/uploads/salomon_tech_manual_15-16.pdf
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One thing to remember is that each 'notch' in the heel piece of the binding rail represents BSLs of maybe 5-6mm. (Mine do anyway, maybe yours more, or less). But then in the heel binding is a lardy great spring which pushes the heel piece forwards into your boot.

Since you've got that wiggle room in the notch - it's plainly obvious that with the heel piece pushing against the back of your boot, that it's going to push the binding hard into the rear end of the notch, as the spring is pushing hard against both solid surfaces.

What this means is that if your BSL is already the same as the measurement at the back of the notch, the binding has nowhere to move and ends up with excessive forward pressure. This worsens of course with a higher DIN, too.

So if your BSL is at the high extreme of the notch in the rail, it's common to have to go one notch up to give the binding that bit of space.

I hope this makes sense.

I use rail bindings and always have to go one notch up in the rail. As Jon says it would be better to list the measurements only on the toe piece side of the rail, and leave the heel binding adjustment to what the forward pressure indicator tells you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi

Many thanks for all your replies. Your explanation above makes perfect sense and explains exactly why I've needed to push the heel binding back one notch.

I have now dialed in my DIN setting and then rechecked the forward pressure and it is still bang on the money.

Bring on Serre Chevalier next weekend !!

Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@albob I have read the manual in detail - still slightly unclear whether the XT12 bindings have automatic toe wing and height adjustments. Some of the translation on the manual is not great. I believe that they are automatic on both counts but if anyone could confirm I'd be grateful.

Regards
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The XT toe is the Z Series toe which has auto toe height and toe wing adjustment.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks so much @spyderjon, !!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy