Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes: 5weeks!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've done it... I'm off... 5 whole weeks in Les Deux Alpes booked for me (30 something lady complete with husky) from 25th of February!!!
Its only now I though it might be sensible to ask some questions Smile

I'll be kicking around for a good few of those weeks on my own, although visitors expected for some Wink Anyone know of any local clubs (no not of the music/drink variety... suspect I can track those down just fine myself) that might welcome a straggler?

Any hints and tips from anyone whos done a bit of skibumm-ery alone before?

Are there dog friendly pubs/cafes anyone would recomend? I'm driving out there so will have access to local areas too...

Probably I'll take a few lessons as it be nice to have something to work on ... anyone in particular recomended? Or any groups that ski together? (mostly competant skier, can get down most things providing you dont point me at a mogul field and expect speed)

I was looking at lift passes and it looks like it'll be cheeper to go for the half season one than pay week by week... anyone know of any difficulties with this or should it be pretty straight forward ? (minimal-not-even-school-girl-french-we-did-german)

Any non-skiing must do's in the area in winter?

Anyone based there this season?!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@skibumwithknobson, Welcome to snowHead and L2A Smile Worth looking at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127403 will answer some questions. I'm here most of the time including the summer, have some mates in a similar position too, message me a bit closer. This is France you're almost out of place without a dog. Half season pass definitely the cheapest. Other possibility is 20 non consecutive days depending on how much you intend to ski.

Non-skiing stuff. Annecy is beautiful, lake and old town, a little over 2 hours. Grenoble is a big but interesting city, only 1¼ hours. Chambéry is nice too 1¾ hours. Vienne is a nice small city with lots of Roman history 2¾ hours. Lyon is a very large city with loads of history and gastronomy 2½ hours. Closer is Vizille Château and Museum of the Révolution, less than an hour.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Claude!

Thanks for the answer Smile
Getting closer now... counting down the days!
Have a few other questions which you may/ may not have a clue about Wink

The apartment I've got doesnt have internet or anything... in the UK you can buy a dongle for pay as you go net... is there anything similar ?? Dont fancy a month with phone on roaming charges!

I quite fancy trying out some ski mountaineering... am I likely to be able to find lessons which involve kit hire ? Or is it a case of hiring seperately?

Ace to hear from you, will definitely look you up again just before I head over Wink

-G
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many bars and restaurants welcome dogs in France, you dont see them so often in bars in ski resorts but I guess that is because not too many visitors take their dogs on skiing holidays! I am sure you can buy a dongle which will work, a friend of ours has one for his boat in Turkey pretty much on a "payment top up basis".

Five weeks in a ski resort and with your dog - wow, have a wonderful time.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skibumwithknobson, Sure you can buy from Orange probably. Many bars have free wifi too. Not too sure on ski mountaineering. Here probably Damien Albert (Google him) or down in La Grave, you should get one or two free days there with a half season pass. I'll also ask a mate who is an instructor here who's into mountaineering too.

Yes give me a shout. I'm back in UK for a week in February not sure of dates yet. A mate did the same last year drove over with his dog and rented another friends apartment for 6 weeks. He had a great time and extended it going home via Italy and Spain.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@skibumwithknobson, Bumped into Ian today he's an instructor with European Ski School. Do you mean touring with perhaps a bit of climbing required? He's into touring (I've got the gear too) and would happily take you on his day off. For gear probably Ski Extreme, I'll pop in and ask them, I know the owner and her ski man.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another friend told me yesterday there are only 2 places here hire touring gear. One is Venosc Sports and the other is in L2A 1800. Not certain which one it us up there. Could be difficult I think.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
you can get a 4g dongle from the tourist office in L2A, its the Tourist office by The Jandri Lift. Its 45 euro for a week, but allows 10 devices on it. We used it in January with 10 devices, and it is very fast, our lot were streaming movies, watching footy and general surfing with ease. You have to leave card details ( pay by card only no cash and they take a 150 euro deposit, so you return the dongle ).

Don't know if they do a deal for a longer hire period, but worth asking
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Go offpiste shredding with the dog. They love it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey..how'd I miss these posts!! Thanks all!

Yeah sort of slightly more extreme ski touring from what I can gather? But since I've never done ski touring I should probably start with that Wink I've got a few weeks so hopefully find a day or two where I can hire some kit and find a friendly face to take me. If your mate Ian is feeling generous with his time that'd be ace!

Cheers @Timbobaggins ... I'll see if they can do anything for a longer period!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skibumwithknobson, I've done a little gentle touring and have the gear, I might do a bit next week. Happy to help to begin with. Ian goes quite a bit on Saturdays which is his day off. I should be here when you arrive, probably going back to UK for a few days the following week. We can meet up for a drink if you want, I'll send you a PM.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy