Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why isn't Zeb Roche famous here?

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone else skied with Zeb Roche? He is a wonderful mountainguide and also parapente (paragliding) instructor and extreme skier.

I don't understand why nobody has heard of him here. He and his partner Claire have climbed the highest peak in all 7 continents (including Antarctica) and tandem-parapented off the top of each. They did Everest 3 years ago, taking off from about 20 metres below the summit. Some climbers slightly lower down thought they were hallucinating when Zeb and Claire flew past.
Zeb was at one time the youngesat person to climb Everest (17, I think) but a younger Sherper did it since. In fact Zeb is climbing Everest at this moment, leading a group of clients!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never heard of him. But that doesn't mean anything really!

Where's he based, snowball?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
He lives in the Maurienne Valley (near Val Cenis) - the newish 4th valley of the 3 Valleys is at the bottom end, but there are about 8 small to medium resorts, including Val Frejus.
He also guides in Verbier (where I met him) and the Dolomites.
However he's already about booked-up for next season, I think.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball, I think you're way above my standard! I've only just got as far as my first adventure off piste, let alone discussing the merits of various guides!!

We skied the Maurienne this year, lovely small resorts - perhaps in a few years time I'll be good enough to be off and away with Zeb...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Who on earth is Jef Wickes?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sherlock Chalets is lurking around - he might be able to tell you nkib
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mark Hunter,

My real name is NKOB (New Kid On the Block) but I messed up the registration and can't use the original one, so I had to register as In and not On.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
New Kid In The Block, have you asked? I haven't exercised my divine powers in a while... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mark, don't encourage him, he's stalking Ice.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
N K O B, I did wonder. Strange question to ask earlier though, maybe you're a little confused owing to recent.....er.....events..... Razz
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alan Craggs,

Can you change it for me?

AND I'm not interested in Ice any more, it's Ski Bunny who is my pin-up now.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alan Craggs,
It's Done!!!

Many Thanks
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hope that doesn't confuse anyone Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alan Craggs, certainly confused me (easily done), but good for us workers to work out what has been going on during the day while you layabouts lounge about posting.
I think NKO(T)B used to be called NKI(T)B. You changed him (Halleluyah!), but all his posts were renamed, making much of this thread wonderful nonsense. Soooper.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We aim to please Jonpim snowHead
snow report
............well i'm confused?
snow report
........so am I Confused Struggled for years to understand basic French.But "snowheadspeak" baffles me most evenings Wink
ski holidays
Hell's teeth! KNOB(sic) has made it over here to make a little off-piste nocturnal emission - and the Ice Queen wasn't interested in him in the first place, he's a juvenile with shaky hands and a sticky keyboard.
KNOB(sic): keep Wickes in the cess-pool he belongs in.
snow report
Masque

Yes I'm here now!!

Razz Razz Razz
snow conditions
NKOB, does this poster offer help in anyway?
ski holidays
Mark Hunter,

That's great thanks.
Ski Bunny's the one with long ears.
ski holidays
NKOB, don't forget to take care how you mount the picture on your bedroom wall NehNeh
snow report
I'll be sure to use the right tool Embarassed
ski holidays
Arp, arp Laughing
latest report
I'm more worried about the 'glue' the little onanist intends using
snow report
Snowball- I have heard of him; he's got quite an impressive CV. Here's a link to his site. One of the guys a normally ski with uses him as a guide in Val Cenis.

PS Your footnote reminds me of a technique that was employed to route find when heavy fog descended on our party whilst skiing one of the north faces of Stuben, near St Anton. That was a very interesting day.
snow conditions
Kit, if you mean throwing snoballs, how did that work? Surely you couldn't see them either.
snow conditions
Snowball-It didn’t! We wanted to be certain that we had skied around this particular cliff so we threw snowballs in front of us to see or hear where they landed. Suffice to say, it didn’t work and we made a very slow descent down the mountain. You may laugh, but the snowball technique is suggested in Eric Langmuir's Mountaincraft and Leadership book- I wonder if he's still alive!

We will be better prepared next time- skiing with a tethered sledge, made of a backpack and a few avalanche shovels, in front of the leading skier. Thinking about it, the snowball idea may have worked if we had formed it on a bit of rope; with that secured to an avalanche probe, we could have fished for the slope. The ideas are coming thick and fast now; I may be on a patent winner here.

Anyone else got any better ideas? Won't steal them, honest. And no smart alec ones about maps, compasses, dead-reckoning, altimeters, GPS’s, or roping together etc
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kit -
Cut a tip off a dead pair of skis (paint it black to be more visible). Drill the cut edge and and attach a small ball of strong string.
In fog simply put the ski on the ground and pay out the string till the ski is only just visible. If you attached the string to your jacket you could even do short turns down the mountain, watching the ski ahead of you.
snow report
Good one, but I think our ideas would flounder in deep snow. Now, snaring a chamois with some of it's favourite yum and then using it as a pathfinder might be a goer. If we tied it on a length of rope and formed a line behind so it couldn't run back up the slope; and encouraged it to go down the slope by growling at it, or licking our lips, that might work. I will keep some chamois snowshoes in my pack for such an eventuality.

I think I've bored enough people with my indulgence now. Back to Zeb.
ski holidays
I'm not so sure, I think a bit of ski with nobody on it might float.
(I'm not sure anyone has anything else to say about Zeb, but Pathfinder Chamoix would be news. But how would you catch one in a fog without going over a cliff (which was what you were trying to avoid)? Perhaps a Pathfinder Marmot (kept hibernating in the bakpack) would be more practical (though slow).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy