Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season in Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

Just looking to pick some of your lovely powdery brains about a season in the Alps Very Happy I am looking at doing the 2017/2018 season and I am pretty flexible and open to any location but for some reason I keep thinking Chamonix (don’t know why…just do! Stupid brain) NehNeh

Have any of you done a season there (or somewhere else you would recommend) and if so I am just trying to find the best way to go about finding work / accommodation.

Financially I wouldn’t NEED to work but I’d rather not spend all my savings as I am going to be unemployed at the end of the season, so I would like to get a job to cover at least food/drinking costs and it would be a good way to meet friends as well I think.

Trying to think of the kind of jobs that would allow a decent amount of time on the slopes over the season and not be too full on or stressful, I feel like a housekeeping position or cleaner in a hostel would be ideal and quite sociable.

Anyone know any places offering this kind of work or even work for board would be cool, then I could cover my food and drink myself ? Oh and I would be with my bf so if it was a position for us both and shared accommodation even better Wink

Cheers x
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks so much DP that's some great info. I wasn't aware of Chamonix not being near the lifts, but as i said in my OP i am open to all resorts, might start investigating a few others now like the 3 valleys.

I have read quite a bit about being a chalet host, it's defo an option i will consider. We both have full driving licenses.

Any thoughts on maybe like working in a cafe (i will be a trained barista by then) that like closes in the afternoon so you have a few hrs on the slopes and evenings free?

Clutching at straws here i think haha

Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whatever happened to DPs post? Shocked

@ape_escape, another snowhead did this a couple of years ago and wrote a report:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=99772

There's further info including costs further down in the thread.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks s much Gamsbock. haha i dunno they must have removed it. Not sure why had some good info.... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think you are probably right on work ideas, essentially the more you get paid, the less you get to ski. Anti-social hours also help.

Chamonix not really any better or worse logistically from many places. Sure, it's quite a large, spread out town, and the skiing is not - for good topological and terrain reasons as well joined up: but the benefits outweight the compromises if you are liking the off piste.

A car is a good plan.

I cannot think of any cafes that close in the afternoon. Much more likely to find bar work that doesn't open until lunchtime. So sleep management more of an issue.

Biggest problem you are likely to have is that very many people turn up for a season and never leave...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah @underanewname i have read that. I would love to see Chamonix but starting to think it may not be the right fit for a winter season. I am a snowboarder and i am not advanced by any stretch of the imagination...

Have you been to the Espace Killy ski area?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ape_escape, Espace Killy very fine but maybe look at Morzine/Avoriaz/Flaine/Les Carroz/3Vs for France as a first season. No idea re Austria, Italy, etc.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chamonix is great for the season if you mainly go off-piste. But if you're not that experienced you're not going to get the best out of it. Mind you if you're out for the season you're likely to get good quite quickly. I was amazed at how my skiing came on the first time I spent a whole season out there! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gämsbock wrote:
Whatever happened to DPs post? Shocked

I tried to edit it and deleted it by accident, and couldn't be arsed to write it again!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In brief:

- Best thing to do as a boyfriend/girlfriend duo is to try and run a chalet. They often recruit couples to run the chalets... this will involve everything - cooking, cleaning, welcoming guests, etc. The chalet companies often have individuals they send over as required to help out in the chalet, but the day to day running, cooking and interaction with guests is often performed by a couple. (You will usually not live in the chalet, they'll put you in a cheaper flat or house elsewhere).

- To apply for a job you don't NEED, but would benefit from, an alpine cooking course. Google it, there are plenty. 2 of my friends did the course, bought the necessary equipment, and took on a nice chalet in Meribel the following winter. Being able to drive is also a pretty staple requirement - you will be expected to do the shopping, in some resorts you may have to organise transfers from the chalet to the lift for the guests, and then there's going to be hospital trips, ski rentals etc that the guests need. So you both need to drive, realistically.

- Chamonix - don't turn it down straight away. One thing people often fail to think about is the life outside skiing. Sure, Chamonix is really an area that benefits the "free skiers" best - IE off piste skiing all day. Also, a problem with it is that since the lifts are all on the edges of the town (with the exception of the Aiguille, but there's no pistes up there); by the time you factor in catching the bus, riding the bus, getting the gondola up the mountain... you'll add an hour to your day in travel; so you'll essentially lose an hour of skiing compared to working in a ski-in ski-out area. HOWEVER on the flip side, the social life in Chamonix is, IMO, one of the best in France. Due to being a proper town, there are so many more bars, restaurants, late night haunts etc. A night out in Chamonix can be a lot more epic than a night out in many if not most French resorts, and certainly you can also do a week's worth of night outs and not have to go to all the same places. So, bearing in mind that you'll normally be finished by about 9 / 9.30pm, you might like to consider that there's a bit more of a social scene happening in Chamonix Centre.

- Do remember that once you ski regularly, you'll improve quickly. And once your ability and confidence get there, you might be glad of the bigger selection of off-piste that Chamonix offers. With skiing on the glacier, and easy bus links to Courmayeur and St Gervais, there's a lot of skiing to get done out of Chamonix so I wouldn't say it's a no-go just yet...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Short on time so may add more info later but...

Did two seasons in Chamonix, the place is great for a season. I just stumbled across work through the season (mostly unloading lorries) as did my flat mates (transfer work to ski teching in shops). Get out early and get networking, it may cost a little drinking in bars but speak to everyone and before you know it you'll have your finger on where there may be work going.

Chamonix will really improve your riding too. The pistes are challenging and will keep you going until you are ready for off piste...which will be before the end of the season.

Love the place, not like a ski resort more of an extreme sport loving town!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
manicpb wrote:

Love the place, not like a ski resort more of an extreme sport loving town!

+1
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How does an "Alpine" cooking course vary from any other cooking and is that why my marmot stew is always vile? Is there a better way?

I catch and hang my own marmots so I don't think freshness is the issue.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The only thing that springs to my mind is the timing. At altitude water boils at a lower temperature so boiling stuff takes a bit longer. Try doing a 4 minute boiled egg in Val Thorens after which you'll be drinking not eating it Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name,
Baking at altitude requires completely different recipes.

I don't believe that marmot stuff for one minute.
latest report
@under a new name, it isn't what it sounds like. It's not just (or even really) about the altitude per se.

The 'alpine cooking course' is just the name for 'how to be a ski resort chalet chef'. There's a certain character to the types of meals served in traditional ski chalets (obviously varies by country, my friends did theirs for France). So they're taught certain dishes, but also learn about presentation, wine choice, even down to how to choose suitable crockery. Whilst many chalets are run by operating companies who employ hosts, others are owned independently and the hosts are employed directly by the owner - so the hosts need to learn everything.

So it's not just about the changes in practice above. It's basically the 101 on how to cater for chalet guests.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy