Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maurienne Valley

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be reporting from Valfrejus, La Norma, Val Cenis and Bonneval sur Arc this next week, if we get through snowmagedden. Anyone out there now?
We are following that up with a side trip to Val d'Isere to see the lad, who is currently chopping vegetables in a hotel there.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@cstreat, Reports are that Val Cenis has been fantastic all over above mid mountain since late November - well above average depths apparently for this time of year- and that the pistes back down to resort have been reasonable. This current snow looks like it is sorting things out down into resort so look forward to the reports as not out until 18/2.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is about 20cm in the village at Valloire right now, quite dense too. I haven't been out yet as I'm feeling pretty rotten but the sun is just breaking through so I might give it a go before blizzard conditions resume.
The bottom of the unpisted piste looks great.

PS the new snow sculpture webcam gives a good idea of village conditions http://pv.viewsurf.com/674/Valloire-Sculptures
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dont forget Aussois
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Half way out now, plenty of wet snow from Troyes to Dijon
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
La Norma has 20 cm of fresh powdery snow this evening
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@cstreat, from the top of the top lift (La Norma ?) head left about 10m and look over the edge. Committing but easily skiable.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@altis, thank you, and good to hear from you again. I missed last season due to having Lyme disease, so I am now lacking some confidence and also stamina! I hope to get back to old levels by the end of the week, ending up in Bessans, and having 2 days at Bonneval. It's bright and sunny today
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@cstreat,
Quote:

ending up in Bessans, and having 2 days at Bonneval. It's bright and sunny today

Sking in Bessans or staying in Bessans? An attractive bit to stay in but most of the skiing is x country with a couple of beginner lifts. good skiing at Val Cenis and Bonneval though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just staying there! La Norma was uncrowded and good snow above the tree line, with plenty of untracked off piste. I found it hard packed in the trees on piste, suffering from the early season ice and snow making. It was noticeably cold high up in the shade, and minus 14 at the top of the telecabin. Shattered after first day!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowing lightly tonight, all the way up the valley....went to Termingnon to buy cheese and a towel!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Today was still and sunny, a couple of cms of snow overnight. The slopes were great up top, with plenty of untracked off piste. On the lower pistes, there are some nasty patches of packed ice ( my Line Prophet 98's did not like at all!) but La Norma is so quiet and uncrowded it gets my vote for a few days skiing. It's snowing lightly now, and set to continue tomorrow, so we will do Val Cenis or here tomorrow, then Val Frejus, and then 2 days at Bonneval. Will probably give Aussois a miss, as the sun will probably bring out the crowds, and I suspect that it had very little snow before this week, being so sunny. Still, it looked inviting across the valley today, bathed in sunshine... It's just that I hate crowds!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@altis, I had a look where I think you suggested; I think I need bigger balls perhaps Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@cstreat, look at Thursday, 1 Jan 2015:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2649230

and Friday, 12 April 2013:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2285904
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@cstreat,
Quote:

so we will do Val Cenis

Check out this route down to the lake (if it's safe) from the top of the TS Arcellins

... requires a short skin/hike back along the road to the Col de Mont Cenis
from our trip in 2014 with Simon Christie http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2491903&highlight=maurienne#2491903
ski holidays
A couple of the MGS afternoon groups were skiing off the back down to the lake last week but I suspect the conditions will be substantially different to what sounded from the descriptions as almost hard spring like conditions. I assume much deeper and nicer now after the recent snowfalls. There is also some nice stuff off the top of the Plan Cardinal chair, basically head straight on under the ropes, traverse across into a selection of bowls that then drop into the trees. You need a guide or to know the area well as you need to avoid coming out above the cliffs that overlook the valley above Val Cenis
ski holidays
A couple of the MGS afternoon groups were skiing off the back down to the lake last week but I suspect the conditions will be substantially different to what sounded from the descriptions as almost hard spring like conditions. I assume much deeper and nicer now after the recent snowfalls. There is also some nice stuff off the top of the Plan Cardinal chair, basically head straight on under the ropes, traverse across into a selection of bowls that then drop into the trees. You need a guide or to know the area well as you need to avoid coming out above the cliffs that overlook the valley above Val Cenis
latest report
Valfrejus today, a late start, sunny but very cold, with the best snow in the shade on the windy side. On the sunny slopes the off piste was windswept, hard and crusty, not good for 51 year old Lyme knees. The return down the valley was shut, so it was rather limited. Took a wrong turn back, and ended up walking back from lower lift
snow report
Fantastic day at Val Cenis today, starting from Termingnon. Again, lower slopes were very icy in places, but it was all so empty and beautiful that it is hard to understand why anyone would visit a resort in the famous next door Valley. Great off piste higher up, plenty of untracked, and almost powdery in the trees. Very shocked to see the ironically named chalet de Flambeau burnt down on one end, on new years Eve. We have stayed there, and it literally exploded.
snow report
@cstreat, said
Quote:
but it was all so empty and beautiful that it is hard to understand why anyone would visit a resort in the famous next door Valley

Exactly: I've been twice, and that was exactly how I felt Toofy Grin - 1st time was during Parisian half term and there were no real crowds, plus most seemed to be family skiers so the off-piste was pretty much intact

...best to keep it a secret spot, so you'll need to downplay your reporting snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
@geoffers, I think it's my 6 th visit over 8 years, and up to 2 years ago it had definitely got more crowded. That's why we are based at La Norma this time, which is really quiet, and has emptied out mid week for some reason. Unfortunately the accommodation here at the Balcons, although cheap, is dirty and tatty... I'll be doing a trip report with photos when I return. La Norma itself is great.
Yesterday Val Cenis was at it's best; possibly due to the cold snap in France and perceived lack of snow.
Off to Bonneval today, my Maurienne favourite.
8 cm of snow forecast for Sunday Very Happy
snow report
Great snow at Bonneval today, still and cloudless. Plenty of nice untracked off piste in morning, cheered from top lift after spectacular fall on top unpisted black. Before lunch saw maximum of 5 people, got crowded after lunch as we saw over 25 people!!
latest report
@cstreat, are you using the Eski-mo pass or just paying for individual days?
ski holidays
Eskimo pass from La Norma, then individual days in Val Cenis, Bonneval and finally Val d'Isere, probably taking out a loan for the latter! My first visit to the Alps was there some years ago, on a budget, so it remains to be seen how punchy I get at prices, queues, crowds and double barreled Tarquins ; all the things that don't exist in the Maurienne!! The Maurienne has excelled this week, despite tatty accommodation, and will be hard to beat. For some reason, we have gone out to bars, played pool, and drunk too much, which we have NEVER done before....late life crisis? Maybe due to being ill last year, makes one realise life's for living.
snow report
cstreat wrote:
Before lunch saw maximum of 5 people, got crowded after lunch as we saw over 25 people!!

Pretty normal day at Bonneval then Cool
ski holidays
More sunshine today at La Norma, still with plenty of untracked off piste. At altitude the pistes are good, but I haven't enjoyed the returns to village which are hardpacked with artificial guff on top. It's a toss up between Val Cenis and Bonneval again tomorrow... Decisions decisions
ski holidays
cstreat wrote:
More sunshine today at La Norma, still with plenty of untracked off piste. At altitude the pistes are good, but I haven't enjoyed the returns to village which are hardpacked with artificial guff on top. It's a toss up between Val Cenis and Bonneval again tomorrow... Decisions decisions

It's been very windy up high in Valloire today and the pistes are wind scoured and hard packed, no fun on a board save for where the blown powder has settled on the odd sheltered run. Pistes pretty deserted by 1400.

Same conditions up the valley?
snow report
Wind did pick up this pm, but plenty of soft snow to be found on shady faces, just that they tended to be bloody cold. It's much more sheltered in La Norma, Val Cenis and Bonneval, than Valfrejus, so maybe Valloire is similarly exposed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BoardieK, probably worth a visit higher up the valley if you are able....pistes probably not brilliant for boarding, but I can't understand why boarders seem to ignore the accessible offpiste, and prefer to scratch down the piste; there is some lovely soft snow about
snow conditions
Most of the off piste here is so wind scoured that last weekends compressed tracks are standing several cm proud of the untouched "powder". I don't think I've seen anyone offpiste for the last 3 days except a few taking it very slowly.

Probably time to take the motorhome up the valley, thanks.
snow report
Val Cenis was relatively crowded with locals today, with a bitter wind through the Col. As a result the pistes and environs on that side were really not nice at all...however, on the sheltered side above Ranova restaurant ( probably one of the best quality / priced eating spots around) the snow was still great, although largely skied out.
That's me finished in the Maurienne as I am shattered... Lyme disease never really goes away, so we are having a rest tomorrow before heading to Espace Killy on Monday. The predicted snowfall is no longer predicted!!
ski holidays
Drove through Aussois on the way back, very warm, 4C, snow melting on verges and looking patchy were windswept in fields.
snow conditions
Today was forecast to be the windiest day of the week, and cloudy; guess what!
latest report
Not really relevant, but went to Val d'Isere yesterday, and found Espace Killy very crowded ( like the M25), very expensive, skied out, and really rather tatty....let's hope the crowds stay away from the Maurienne
latest report
@cstreat, I've been reading your updates on the Maurienne, to see what the snow and general conditions were like.

A few friend's are arriving there Saturday on my recommendation so thanks for taking the time to update us.

As you've indicated, it's a nice area to visit. We've been in March for the last two years and plan to be back again this year too. We also found, as you, how uncrowded it can be with some really nice skiing. Also more manageable cost make it a bit more relaxed when paying for our family.
snow report
The pistes were a bit softer today, even up high. No queues, restaurants in Valmeinier a quarter full at lunch time.
snow report
Not too shabby in the Maurienne today, but the snowpack still needs a lot of respect - saw a potentially very serious skier-triggered slab which fortunately ended well for the skier...

latest report
2 more top days to finish 5 days of coaching in the Maurienne last week:

Thursday was bit grey but quite acceptable, if a bit breezy:

Friday was an 'all-time' powder day - first turns to last turns, with a perfect weather window that closed just as we drove down the hill!

snow report
First day in Val Cenis today. The sight on arrival yesterday of a rising snow line on the non skiing south side of the valley certainly did not look encouraging but a blue bird day skiing what were actually very good pistes has brightened things up no end. The depths on mid and upper mountain actually look better than the last couple of years despite the valley not looking white. Whilst fresh is in short supply there is basically ski everywhere terrain within the bounds of the ski area although some areas are notably roped off where we were skiing last year. The kids were complaining that skiing back to resort was limited to all the pistes with only a small amount of the usual meadows to avoid the crowds. I reminded them of memories skiing here in the late 80s/ early 90s here when snow making was limited and it was combat skiing like Scotland in the more sketchy years. Happy to report the early death of the French and European season as referred to by some on here appears to be 'fake news'.
snow report
A bit of snow, rain and sleet overnight at 1500m in Valloire. It was just below freezing at 11pm last night but the ground isn't hard frozen now. Started snowing moderately heavy at 7.30 and about 2cm has settled since though it has just stopped.

No wind in village, going up now.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy