Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fitting Booster Strap to Salomon Xmax

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So recently got a pair of booster straps for Christmas and decided to get round to fitting them on the boots. I have a pair of Salomon Xmax 120's and it is safe to say they are not booster friendly and a bit of googling did not seem to bring up any solid way forward.

It seems that some of the upper cuff needs to be dremel-ed a bit (marked red in images below) to lower the cuff height to get the strap to sit on the inner liner - which I have no problem doing. The only thing is what are the downsides of doing this?

I'm of the impression that the stiffness is generated from the spine connection of the cuff to the lower section of the boot and the flex is lowered mainly by three modifications:
- removing one of the rivets from the spine
- lowering the v cut on the boot lower at the cuff connection point
- modifying the base of the cuff to allow for more forward movement (if the cuff is trapped in forward movement by the boot lower)

So picture 1 is the highest point I can place the booster to effectively sit on the inner liner.
Picture 2 and 3 illustrate the section of boot that needs to be removed to lower the cuff height to allow for the strap to sit on the liner as opposed to outside on the cuff.
Will this affect the stiffness of the boot and lower its flexibility? Would any boot fitters strongly advise against this?

The inner cuff is soft enough to be wrapped by the booster onto the liner - so not looking to remove this at present unless somewhere here suggests to do so as well as it becomes redundant post modification.

Thanks!

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got XPros which are a similar boot in terms of the shell and had the same booster strap fitted by lockwoods last season . . .to be honest all they did was remove the existing Velcro strap (which is riveted on by a plate at the back of the boot) and replace it with the new booster and existing plate for a neat finish . . .I also had an additional salomon shims fitted behind the cuff as I'd put on a bit of holiday weight and wanted to stiffen the flex slightly . . .

To be honest I wear the booster on the outside of the cuff as per your top picture (and was advised that they can be used inside or outside the cuff), and I can really crank them up but still be comfy all day (don't loosen them at lunch etc) . . .they can be positioned behind the liner but only at the top. Personally I wouldn't be chopping bits off boots unless you've got a spare pair if it goes wrong . . .alternatively get some shims first to alleviate the material loss . . or contact solutions4feet for advice . . .?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Belch, what lockwoods did for you is exactly what one of the high street stores is suggesting to do. I feel the more 'radical' install will allow the product to be installed as intended. Did you feel any difference with it installed over the cuff vs the stock powerstrap?

Hopefully one of the bootfitters on here will pick this up and offer some advice.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Much more feel over stock strap and with the ratchet you can tighten up any play in the fit at the top of the boot. Straps give you a bit of bounce but are much more comfy and secure feeling...weirdly I had these refitted as one of the original pair 'crinkled' after a couple of outings and had to be replaced. Why not put them on 'loose' without riveting and try them over the cuff in one of the fridges before you chop shells...?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@extremerob, I had the straps replaced on my s-labs after the orginal failed, and they sit over the shell, as fitted by SOLE in Chamonix. Does what it need to do. I would be wary of cutting plastic.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Belch, like the idea of trying them at one of the indoors.

@under a new name, Yeah I am wary which is why I stopped myself and sought some advice. Hearing that SOLE didn't modify the cuff is making me rethink any modifications.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've used the Booster straps for years and never had to modify a boot shell.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@extremerob, I've had these on my XPros for the last 4 years (after the originals' clips gave up).. no need to alter the shell. With them on the outside you still get the bounce your are after Happy.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
if you cut that much plastic out your boot chances are you will just fold your shin over the top of it, either do the booster up first and let the shell go over it, or accept that it will clip the shell when done up

no power strap was ever designed to go over the shell when they invented them, but the manufacturers decided it was a nice place to put their logo so modified all the shells so it went on the outside... the fact that the top of the boot is inside your trouser (normally) doesn't seem to matter to the marketing department
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CEM, didn't really think about loosing shin support but thanks for pointing that out! That would no be fun!

In trying to get the Powerstrap to sit under the cuff I've seen the following modification done which I feel is going to significantly impact the bootamd act as a point of crack prorogation further down the cuff.

Think I'll stick to over the cuff

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stick it over the cuff - crank it up, ski and keep your boots intact. . .would be very surprised if you don't notice a difference straightaway . . .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy