Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

decent warm snowboarding gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Any suggestions , i suffer from cold hands so need some very warm gloves , anybody got some decent recommendations that have them in stock
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd be very interested to know too.
No problem with ski gloves, from cheapy nylons, Decathlon leathers or full Hestras, but all are too big a fit in the fingers (length and diameter) and generally too big and bulky to use for boarding - have to take them off (silks under, so then get wet) every run to redo or ratchet bindings. (Small female hands in my case.)

To the OP - as a backstop, do try under 'silks'. Decathlon do excellent ones in a range of sizes for around £5 and even if wet they do retain heat.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could look at these:

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/black-diamond-guide-gloves/?backlink=eyJ1cmwiOiJcL2JyYW5kc1wvYmxhY2stZGlhbW9uZFwvZ2xvdmVzXC8/cGlkPTEwMDA0Jl8kamE9dHNpZDo2MDc5N3xjaWQ6MjE3NjIxMDI3fGFnaWQ6MTM5MDE0OTYwNjd8dGlkOmF1ZC0xNTM0ODU3MzI5NDc6a3dkLTc0MDUzMzU4OXxjcmlkOjE2NjcxMzE3Njg3M3xudzpnfHJuZDo4Nzc2NTIyMjM2MzkyNjAzODI3fGR2YzpjfGFkcDoxdDMmZ2NsaWQ9Q08yWnFwdU52ZEVDRmMtNkd3b2RWMkFGcmcjMDYwNGJiMGU0MmUzZmFjZGVmMmU1NjQyMzRmNzEiLCJoYXNoIjoiOGUyNzdiNWI5NTkwYjBmYjY5YjMxNGFkNDRmY2VlNjYifQ==
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
my wife got the women's version of these, and loves them:

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/black-diamond-legend-gloves/?searchparam=black--diamond&listtype=search&pgNr=2&backlink=eyJ1cmwiOiJcL3NcL2JsYWNrLS1kaWFtb25kXC9yZWNvbW1lbmRlZC11c2UtLXNraWluZ1wvMlwvI2JkZTZkZjdhYWFjZWY0NWM5NzI5ZmE0M2NkNWMyNjgzIiwiaGFzaCI6IjRmM2YyMTdhZDczNjg2MDMzYWQ1YTM1N2EwNWQzMzQyIn0=
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use the Level Fly and have never had cold hands, they're very good and also come with some mild wrist protection. Removable inners so always dry over night.

Not sure if this is the cheapest place to get them as haven't searched around but these are them:

https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Level-Fly+Gloves-301708489-black/?cr=GBP&_$ja=tsid:46445&adword=Google%2FUK%2FPRODUKTERWEITERUNG%2FLevel%2F301708489&gclid=CjwKEAiA79zDBRCgyf2FgeiY-CESJABzr0BM2CiEG6xpOumICtYv_LkyERUWfyz5cCEj6NyIMx2fHRoCx1Lw_wcB

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 12-01-17 18:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If I was a boarder then I'd probably go for mitts. Was going to get a pair for skiing but it just felt a bit odd with the pole. Benefit of mittens is that the fingers stay in contact so give each other warmth...at least I think that's the science behind it.

MyOutdoor Researchgloves are pretty decent but I did get cold fingers a bit in Austria last week, however it was -20 and they were a bit wet because I kept rolling around in the snow!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I bought a couple pairs of these as I was so impressed with them for the price (at the time, £12)... Can't recommend them highly enough for the money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Gloves-German-BUNDESWEHR-Combat-Army-Flectarn-M-L-XL-Uniform-Clothing-/281975228464?var=&hash=item41a7088830:m:mxoO4C1ZmfrOiMnsua9CJJw

German army winter gloves. Full leather palms (including between fingers and over the tips of the fingers), leather punching area (for when some fool cuts in on you in a lift queue), breathable membrane (some sellers claim goretex, but whatever it is it works), and tough as hell.

I've used them for 3 weeks now, boarding so plenty of hand to ground contact, in a variety of conditions from sleet and wet snow to perfect bluebird days, no damage to speak of and never yet had cold, wet, or sweatty hands. If you really suffer, liners fit well in them too, though i've never needed them myself.

The look of them might not be to your taste, but if you are ok with that then consider what sort of money you'd be spending to get similar spec and quality in a dedicated ski/board glove.

Link is just an example, there may well be surplus shops selling them for less (as was the case when I bought mine).

I love 'em. They also do a mitt version for similar money.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I use the Level Fly and have never had cold hands, they're very good and also come with some mild wrist protection. Removable inners so always dry over night.

They are incredibly warm! Interesting you say mild wrist protection, I agree it feels like they aren't 'proper' wrist guards, but the video/blurb on the Level website uses the wrist protection as a huge selling point, implying its far superior to 'proper' wrist guards.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just finished a few weeks at minus 10 through minus 30 with a pair of these:
http://rab.equipment/uk/accessories-equipment/gloves/alliance-mitt
There are glove equivalents, although those will be less warm. These were fine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jjams82, Or the old British army arctic extreme cold weather mitts, leather palm, goretex, etc. Used them a lot up in cold mountains, arctic, Scotland etc.
Line with wool undermitts, silk inners etc. Well toasty - if you like mitts!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/SSkinco901T&Locale=en_GB

drops mike
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've still got three pairs of Level Fly snowboarding 'gauntlets' from over two decades of boarding (the older pairs repaired as spares).

It took Canada's -25C to persuade me to slip on my silk/satin undergloves, that's how warm they are.

The velcro wears out first (stops gripping), that's how well made they are.

I've never noticed the Biomex wrist protection, but I'm persuaded it would help in the event of a bad landing.

The Level Fly's removable liner not only improves warmth, but makes them quick to dry overnight (after a slushy day).

The snowboarder's glove is a key part of the equipment - not just a fashion item.

Check out the best:
http://www.levelgloves.com
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah I described it as mild as it doesn't wrap around your wrist and feel restrictive though it definitely protects them, I broke a scaphoid on my first trip and so used some sort of wrist protection since. I've had my flys for 5 seasons now and still going strong, they're really good!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've always worn wrist guards and when looking for new gloves last year the Biomex system looks good (I hope it works, definitely more comfortable than conventional wrist guards). The gloves seem very well made, so no complaints at all!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Funnily enough, I must confess, that I almost prefer my first pair of Level snowboard gloves - once they had new velcro sewn on to the straps. I think they were over-engineered and had extra heavy duty palm-side protection. Later models are not so well protected (or rather, are more economically protected). This first pair is bright orange, with black palms and finger tip protection.

The Gortex outer is clearly pretty durable.

Incidentally, those prone to cold hands may also need a battery powered, heated glove liner in any case. No doubt there are other threads on that topic.
snow conditions
Yep. Another shout for Levels here.
snow report
Yep, Level make a great glove, had several pairs, but layering is the way to go for warmth, and make sure you separate your inner glove liners from the outer glove at night to dry out. Got a pair of Dakine gauntlets for really heavy days which are really good too but more bulky.

Mates swear by mitts, but I'm not a fan as I like my fingers free. You might want to have a look at the Dakine or Burton Lobster gloves too, a mitt but the thumb and forefinger are separated out so you've got more function when dealing with buckles etc.
snow report
Mitts, a pair of liners (silk if you can get them, but I have used my karrimor running gloves) and then if really cold you can add a set of disposable hand warmers.
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Yep, Level make a great glove, had several pairs, but layering is the way to go for warmth, and make sure you separate your inner glove liners from the outer glove at night to dry out. Got a pair of Dakine gauntlets for really heavy days which are really good too but more bulky.

Mates swear by mitts, but I'm not a fan as I like my fingers free. You might want to have a look at the Dakine or Burton Lobster gloves too, a mitt but the thumb and forefinger are separated out so you've got more function when dealing with buckles etc.

I've got a pair of Flys with the wrist guards built in, and a pair of Levels gauntlet Lobsters for when it gets cold. They do work well, you hardly notice the difference between them and gloves when in use.
snow report
latest report
Hestra 3 finger mitts are seriously good, warm and expensive
https://jamhill.co.uk/product/hestra/hestra-3-finger-army-leather-gtx-gloves?id=16861&gclid=CjwKEAiAkuLDBRCRguCgvITww0YSJAAHrpf-x4wLSVOtXcN6MXYBLLq_2pzhzv5kEPokM7QCeufVaRoCwoLw_wcB
latest report
Ive spoken to some acquaintances who are sponsored boarders i.e thsy spend all year riding and they all used to use gardening type looking gloves , old army gloves , until they got so good they get sponsored and now they recommend Celtek , so although they a bit " teenagerish " ill give them a try .
https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Celtek-Maya+Overcuff+Gloves-302717862-kilim/?sizetype=US+Fashion

By the way i've got some snow shepherds for just messing about and they are great
latest report
For years now I've sworn by Burton AK guide gloves, leather, gore tex, perfect for as cold as i've experienced in Europe, Canada and NZ.
OP - I'm guessing from your selections you're female...now I don't mean to patronise, and at the risk of mansplaining...
The female human body is far more effective (than the male) at staying alive by reducing blood flow to the extremities in cold weather... it could well be that to keep your hands and feet warm a down gillet would be as or more effective than the most expensive gloves you can find.
snow conditions
I would strongly suggest moving from gloves to mittens - I did it last year and my hands are warm & waterproof all the time.

I have two pairs, Transform and Burton; Transform have an inbuilt inner glove, but the Burtons have a separate thin waterproof microfibre glove so you can still mess with your phone when you need to.
ski holidays
Without reading everything above, I'll say that wearing 2 pairs of gloves is a winner. Get a thin pair of skin tight running gloves, and then put them in (ideally) mitts, or a pair of decent fleece lined gloves. I have Burton Ak's, and use hilly inners.

-20 didn't phase them......
snow conditions
ronaldothefrog wrote:
Hestra 3 finger mitts are seriously good, warm and expensive
https://jamhill.co.uk/product/hestra/hestra-3-finger-army-leather-gtx-gloves?id=16861&gclid=CjwKEAiAkuLDBRCRguCgvITww0YSJAAHrpf-x4wLSVOtXcN6MXYBLLq_2pzhzv5kEPokM7QCeufVaRoCwoLw_wcB

I have the same as these. It was -20 in Val a couple of weeks ago and my hands were toasty.

One of the best things I have ever bought.

Expensive and worth every penny.
snow report
I wear elasticated fingerless 'mechanic' type work gloves under inexpensive generic 'ordinary' gloves, the two pairs less than a tenner.

If you need to fiddle, carry your board, swig a snifter etc without the outers, you're hands are still protected to some degree. Never had cold hands at more than thirty under.
snow report
 ColinKint
ColinKint
Winter sport like snowboarding is unthinkable without agood pair of Gloves. Choosing the right pair of gloves may seem straightforward but purchasing a wrong model may cause numbness of your finger and thus ruining your skiing day in the mountain. Two important factors come into play when it is about choosing the right model of snowboard gloves. These two factors are warmth and dexterity.

MOD - spam link removed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chivdog wrote:
my wife got the women's version of these, and loves them:

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/black-diamond-legend-gloves/?searchparam=black--diamond&listtype=search&pgNr=2&backlink=eyJ1cmwiOiJcL3NcL2JsYWNrLS1kaWFtb25kXC9yZWNvbW1lbmRlZC11c2UtLXNraWluZ1wvMlwvI2JkZTZkZjdhYWFjZWY0NWM5NzI5ZmE0M2NkNWMyNjgzIiwiaGFzaCI6IjRmM2YyMTdhZDczNjg2MDMzYWQ1YTM1N2EwNWQzMzQyIn0=

Have been using them for almost 3 years now, actually the best gloves I've ever had Smile.
ski holidays
Quote:

Ive spoken to some acquaintances who are sponsored boarders i.e thsy spend all year riding and they all used to use gardening type looking gloves , old army gloves

Theres a brand of those type of gloves called kinco which are very popular with the lifties and ski bums in Canada. Available for $20 at the hardware store. Plenty of them swear by them over the expensive fancy expensive gloves.

I definitely think a pair of liners helps, but the biggest difference imo is an extra clothing layer. Was skiing in Canada at -25 this winter, first day had loads of layers on, regular pair of ski gloves and merino glove liners. Hands, feet, and body never felt cold. Next day decided I could get away with one less layer - body and feet were fine but hands were cold. I know that as we get cold our blood is taken away from extremities to keep core warm, but that day made me realise just how much of an effect that has. Now I know my gloves with a pair of liners (neither of them anything special) are good enough for -25, so if my hands ever feel cold it's because I've not layered up enough on my body rather than gloves fault.
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

Ive spoken to some acquaintances who are sponsored boarders i.e thsy spend all year riding and they all used to use gardening type looking gloves , old army gloves

Theres a brand of those type of gloves called kinco which are very popular with the lifties and ski bums in Canada. Available for $20 at the hardware store. Plenty of them swear by them over the expensive fancy expensive gloves.

I definitely think a pair of liners helps, but the biggest difference imo is an extra clothing layer. Was skiing in Canada at -25 this winter, first day had loads of layers on, regular pair of ski gloves and merino glove liners. Hands, feet, and body never felt cold. Next day decided I could get away with one less layer - body and feet were fine but hands were cold. I know that as we get cold our blood is taken away from extremities to keep core warm, but that day made me realise just how much of an effect that has. Now I know my gloves with a pair of liners (neither of them anything special) are good enough for -25, so if my hands ever feel cold it's because I've not layered up enough on my body rather than gloves fault.

I suffer from poor circulation and have tried many different combinations and brands of glove, with varying success. However, to echo the poster above , the MAIN time my hands get cold is after lunch or any time when I've eaten. The digestive process causes the blood to be drawn to the core causing the cold ..
snow conditions
@boarder2020, Kinco are awesome. Use them for the nutcrackers here. Prefer AK tech leather for warmer days, but wouldn't put AK gloves anywhere near a rope tow.

Kinco do a few different models, warmer, burlier etc. 94HK is the usual insulated one, but 901 has tougher construction (worth it for nutcrackers).

Just load them up with snow seal and abuse them. They last forever, and probably the warmest gloves I've ever used. No clever membranes but seem to stay dry. Think I paid about 50 bux for mine (25 english pesos).
ski holidays
Hestra split https://en-gb.hestragloves.com/products/31462-100-army-leather-gore-tex-3-finger-black
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
Hestra split https://en-gb.hestragloves.com/products/31462-100-army-leather-gore-tex-3-finger-black

I've got a pair of these and they're fantastic. They look like they're getting wet when it's a bit slushy but your hands actually remain dry.
snow conditions
Kinco 901 come with warning

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING

What's that about? Come across it before when buying in the US but is it possible to get cancer from the dyes? Or is that why the lifties seem stoned all the time? Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy