Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 day trip to innsbruck

Poster: A snowHead
I can make a short trip to innsbruck.

Any recommendations for a two day trip? I am intermediate skier. I like cruisey reds.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stick around Innsbruck.
A day at the glacier, a day at Axamer Lizum, great times Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hmmmm. never done a glacier. Sounds great!

is one easier to get to from the airport? Basically, fly in one morning, ski, sleep, ski, fly back to london.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Patscherkofel and Nordkette are both local public transport from the main station.
Axamer Lizum etc. probably the same.
Stubai (or one of the other villages in that valley) are a little further by bus/tram, also from the main station.

Zillertal is also easily doable by train. Probably 40 minutes.

It's a strange place, being a city centre but you still see people clomping about in ski boots running from the bakery in the station to catch the bus.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
from the piste maps, nordkette and patscherkofel seem a bit limited.

Stubai and Axa look lovely for a day each. Is this correct?

Can one go straight from the airport via a bus or train?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
oh. zillertal is massive too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bus F goes from airport to main station. Most buses and trams go from there to various satellite ski villages, although Nordkette is accessed via a funicular on the other side of the town. No idea if any buses go directly from the airport to ski areas.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No point going to Nordkette for anything other than offpiste, park or igloo parties!

Get a hotel near the main train station (Hauptbahnhof), fly in, take bus F from airport to HBF (~15ins) and dump stuff at hotel, back to HBF and jump on a bus to Axamer Lizum. Next day either take a bus to Schlick2000 or Stubai Glacier or hop on a train to Kitzbühel. Come back, grab stuff from hotel, bus F back to airport, and home.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nobody ever mentions Igls. Is it not good?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think Igls is Patcherkofel?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@andy,
Is that the one where you get the tram thing up to it? Mrs M went up it in the summer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stubaital is the tram (or bus), but the tram only goes as far as Schlick 2000
patscherkofel is by bus
nordkette is by funiculary thing then cable car I think
axamer lizum is presumably by bus
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
musher wrote:
@andy,
Is that the one where you get the tram thing up to it? Mrs M went up it in the summer.

No the tram goes up to Fulpmes in Stubaital. Igls is the village at the bottom of Patscherköfel (name of the mountain and ski area).

It's not one of my favourites tbh: it gets less snow than other nearby areas, what does fall often gets quickly blown away by the wind, and many of the pistes are often shaded and icy (possibly why lots of racers like it). On the plus side though, it's the ugliest mountain in the area so when you're on it you only have prettier peaks to look at wink

In fairness there's also some nice hiking in summer off the back towards Glungezer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
anyone know what the conditions are like? it seems like an in and out this weekend looks feasible.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@amps, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127917 wink

Snowed night before last and looking out the window seems on the cusp of doing so again now. Just got the cast off so more info tomorrow Smile
ski holidays
Worth it for a quick trip from London this weekend? Is there already enough snow around?

If not, I can come next weekend.
ski holidays
Where do you get reliable snow reports? I am using onthesnow but it says a lot of Ax is closed
latest report
bergfex.com is usually pretty reliable for Austria
snow report
amps wrote:
Where do you get reliable snow reports? I am using onthesnow but it says a lot of Ax is closed

Reports of what's fallen? Webcams. A resort can measure 50cm in one spot and claim that as what's fallen, but the distribution of snow is nowhere near equal even from one side of the piste to the other. Webcams for all resorts along with reasonably reliable (for 1-3 days ahead) forecasts on Bergfex though.

For what lifts/pistes are open check the interactive maps on resort websites and play with the display options: http://www.axamer-lizum.at/de/winter/pistenplan.html

Yes several lifts and pistes are closed, but most of what is closed is actually (offpiste) skiroutes. There is plenty open to have fun for a day though.
latest report
amps wrote:
Worth it for a quick trip from London this weekend? Is there already enough snow around?

If not, I can come next weekend.

It should snow today and Saturday... Depends if you like your snow fresh and powdery or rather groomed with sunny weather. Skiing was good at Axamer last weekend (this is what looked like at the bottom: https://www.facebook.com/pg/FallLineSkiingMagazine/videos/?ref=page_internal), but as per the thread I linked to I injured myself so haven't skied since.

I have no better info than what's in that thread, other than to say there is still snow down here in the city and more coming tonight.
snow report
I did exactly this trip to Innsbruck two years ago, and skied Patscherkofel and Axamer Lizums. Both are great for cruisey reds and the bus connections were really easy from central Innsbruck - had a great time.

If you're renting kit, I can highly recommend Die Börse on Leopoldstrasse - we had great service from them regarding advice, quality kit and drop-off and pick-up to and from our hotel. If you're heading off piste they'll happily give you tips for where conditions are best.

I'd head back to the city for your drinks afterwards though, as the quick buses stop very soon after the last lift.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy