Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from Munich to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
We'll be driving from Munich to St Anton on February 4th. A few quick questions:
Is there a website or a phone number that gives the traffic situation on Autobahns 8 and 95? I remember 95 being less aglomerated, but needing to get off before Garmisch (and around it) so we don't get stuck amongst weekenders from Munich.
Is the Fernpass open?
I seem to remember (vaguely) that from somepoint after Innsbruck up to the Arlberg tunnel there is no need for an Austrian road sticker (in acount that here is no alternative free road)?
Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
daddy, check the parking restrictions and cost in St Anton, which may make the rail option more attractive. But obviously you may have specific reasons not to take the train.

St Anton is a classic rail destination ... part of the spirit of the resort. No parking hassles or costs. The classic station buffet (though I've not been there since they moved the station and re-aligned the rail tracks - is there a new station buffet?) is worth a pilgrimage!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 30-01-06 13:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sugardaddy,

You will need a vignette if you travel on the motorway in Austria. If you drive ON the sideraods it will take ages to drive up from Innnsbruck .

Parking in St Anton is restrictive & no overnight parking is allowed.

I,d take the train Very Happy

David Goldsmith,

THere is a small coffee/bar shop.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sugardaddy,

You will need a vignette if you travel on the motorway in Austria. If you drive ON the sideraods it will take ages to drive up from Innnsbruck .

I,d take the train Very Happy

David Goldsmith,

THere is a small coffee/bar shop.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote="stanton"]sugardaddy,

Where can you put your car then? Do you know how much is day parking?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If your staying at a Hotel or B&B check theynhave parking . Theres parking on the edge of town by Nasserein. There is a car park under the Tennis hall
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton, I'm not planning to go to St Anton soon but just wondering what the policy is in general as may be going to Bad Gastein next month. I was in Spain (La Molina) earlier in the year and they had loads of free parking, does it really depend on supply and demand?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I dont know the answer to that.

When I used to take my car I allways had parking at my accomodation.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have free parking at our hotel. There are 4 of us travelling and we'll be driving for a day to Isghl to meet some other friends.
stanton, not that it's a big deal, but i seem to remember that there is no need for a vignette if there isn't an alternative road (which i think is the case at least from Imst to the Arlberg tunnel)
Peter Ross, ithink they are trying to limit the number of people that do not sleep in St A but still want to ski there.
Actually the more important query was the first one about the traffic reports?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry to sound ignorant but what is a Vignette ???
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When driving in Austria you need to buy a toll sticker called a "vignette" ( pic here, different colour each year http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/pages/resshp/anwendg/1056862.html ) and it is now a legal requirement to have your lights switched on at all times while driving (came into effect Nov 2005).

Vignette prices

"Toll fees:
Yearly Sticker:
Passenger Car: € 72,60
Motorcycles: € 29,00

2-Month-Sticker:
Passenger Car: € 21,80
Motorcycles: € 10,90

10-day-Sticker:
Passenger Car: € 7,60
Motorcycles: € 4,30"

http://cms1.austria.info/xxl/_site/en/_area/408021/_subArea/412086/_subArea2/408195/

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 31-01-06 20:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
... and it is now a legal requirement to have your lights switched on at all times while driving ...

... but not while skiing ... until next week.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sugardaddy, here's a website in German with traffic news. http://www.br-online.de/news/verkehr/
The fastest way from Munich to the Arlberg is Munich->Garmisch->Fernpass->Imst->Landeck->St.Anton. The stretch between Imst and Landeck is motorway, and you need a Vignette to use it. You can do it on country roads between Imst and Landeck as well, but calculate at least one hour longer. I do the journey from just south of Munich in about 2.15, now that they have built a bypass around Farchant, and also a bypass around Nassereith on the other side of the Fernpass. But that's if, and only if, I hit the Fernpass before all the Dutch busses Evil or Very Mad That means you have to get out of Munich (if travelling on a weekend) before 6.30 AM, or late in the evening. If you get stuck in traffic on Fernpass it usually takes about an hour longer.

I have never know the Fernpass to be closed. To get to the Fernpass you have to drive through Garmisch. There's no other way.

Have fun

Mike
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Lawrie, thanks. I'm having a small dispute with one other member of our party who favours driving via Autobahn 8 and then 93 as this is the route suggested by the tourist office (which seems to me as a good reason to expect a lot of traffic).Our flight lands at 10 am so realistic departure from airport around noon. We'll not be taking any side roads!
DB, good to know about the lights!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sugardaddy,

You can drive the old road from IMst To St Anton ie. through Landeck & then through all the villages up to St Anton.

Really I would just pay the €7.50 for the vignette. You can buy them at German Gas stations near the border.

Also dont forget if the sideroads are closed you may have to divert on to the main highway & you will require the vignette.
snow conditions
sugardaddy, I wouldn't go the A8 route. It takes you from Munich to Kufstein to Innsbruck and then on to Imst etc. It's about 80Km further, and getting past Innsbruck can be slow sometimes. I guess by midday most of the Dutch busses will have managed to get over the Fernpass and will also have removed their snow chains again Smile Should be OK.
ski holidays
stanton, I've already said, it's not about saving money, just checking my memory, really
Mike Lawrie, thanks.
ski holidays
DB Thanks for the info.

Just one mor thing where do you by your Vignette.
ski holidays
Super Eagle wrote:
DB Thanks for the info.

Just one mor thing where do you by your Vignette.

Petrol/Service stations near to the Austria/German border and within Austria sell them.
ski holidays
Cheers DB.
latest report
Oh and before I forget the local radio here advised people not to attach the Vignette to your car window when it is stone cold. It's likely not to stick properly and fall off when the car warms up. Make sure the heater has been on the windscreen for a while (the windscreen internal surface temperature should be above 5 Deg C but don't ask me how you would measure that).
latest report
If you're hiring a car then you can get a 911 997S from Avis....veeeery veeeery tempting. Was going to get one for our Italy trip, but they don't let you take them to Italy because of the "accident danger". Boo Sad
snow report
magriggs, yes!!! 4 people, + kit for a week and 2 pairs of skis in a 911! The only way travel confortably snowHead
latest report
sugardaddy, not forgetting the 130Km/H speed limit in Austria. Ok, the Austrian police probably won't be able to catch you, but if they do then you can find out what a friendly bunch the Austrian Police are...
The 70 Km stretch down to Garmisch is fun though Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I am assuming it is an easy drive from munich to st anton...if it snows, are chains mandatory?
ski holidays
amuzsi, the drive from Munich to St.Anton is easy enough, but you should always have snow chains with you. Having said that I have only ever had to use snow chains twice in the twenty years I've been here, and once was only because the Swiss police refused to let me up the Julier pass without them!
snow conditions
thanks for the head's up about the chains...I am assuming that I can rent them from car rental place?
snow report
Mike & all,
A very good thread, have learned alot. And have some maybe stupid questions. We are landing in Münich airport Friday March 17th at this I guesss wery bad hour 16:00 local time. Would you still recommend A95 to Garmisch? How is the navigation - Is there signs from the Airport with Garmisch/A95 on them Blush , I now the airport is to the north which means queeing through Münich ?

And we had the idea of going to Ischgl. The 911 sounds great, can't find that option on www.avis.de though, any idea about the price?. To be honest I'd preferred a Jeep Cherokee or another Jeep in case of snow. Have a Jeep Cherokee and though its not a racer its normally fast enough for me. And in Norway the police is hunting us down as on drugs.

Not to sound to opportunist, but we had the idea we should just drive and look for a b&b when we arrive Ischgl in early evening. Blunt stupid not to book in advance or...? The bavarian schools winter holiday should be over and a few weeks to easter made us think that it will be easy or at least doable ??

Sorry for the many questions, haven't been skiing in the alps for a weeeeery long time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Diverjan, the road signs are good. You will not be entering Munich, as you can drive on the "rings" around the city. However , you can get traffic jams on the rings too. I would not reccomend staying in Isghl, but rather getting a BB in one of the villages close by as the parking is right by the lifts.
latest report
Thanks daddy, how was St.Anton?
Jan
snow report
Is it possible (via public transport) to get to Ishgl from St Anton? We'll be flying out on the 18th of March for a week.
ski holidays
Diverjan, to get to the Garmischer Autobahn you do have to come in to Munich to the 'middle ring', since the outer ring doesn't yet go all the way round. Probably never will do for that matter. The traffic is bad, but not as bad as (e.g) the M25 at midnight! Best way through is to just follow the signs coming in from the Airport, they take you onto the Nürnberger Autobahn all the way to the middle ring and then right past the BMW building and the Olympia Park and direct to the A95 autobahn. I guess it should take about 45 minutes from the airport to the start of the A95.
Doig B&B in Ischgl shouldn't be a problem although you might not get a place in Ischgl itself. I always do this when I go to StAnton for the weekend. Just turn up at the tourist office in the evening and take a look what's going. I usually manage to find something in Pettneu or worst case in Flirsch.

prog99, Ischgl to St.Anton by road is a long way! I'm not sure whether any public transport covers it, but if it did it would probably take about 1.5 hours to do the journey. The Paznaun Valley can be VERY slow going, and you have to go almost all the way back to Landeck before joining the main road to St.Anton.
snow report
Thanks Mike, I suspect that there will be more than enough to keep us occupied in St Anton anyway!
ski holidays
I am driving from Munich to Obertauern this weekend, had forgotten about the Vignette. Is it the same price for a van (9 Seater) as for a car. Also any idea where the best place is to stopa and buy food as we will be self catering and thse shops will be closed by the time we arrive. Thanks in advance.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
I am driving from Munich to Obertauern this weekend, had forgotten about the Vignette. Is it the same price for a van (9 Seater) as for a car. Also any idea where the best place is to stopa and buy food as we will be self catering and thse shops will be closed by the time we arrive. Thanks in advance.

The "car" vignette is anything up to 3.5 Ton. Our 7 seater is around 2 ton so I doubt a 9 seater will weigh over 3.5. Check at point of purchase to be sure.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy