Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stansted airport

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone been through early morning of late? How busy is it in departures? We have a 7.30am ish flight, hand baggage only but just wondering whether security is particularly busy or not. I haven't been through Stansted for a while but it didn't used to be quite so mad as Luton.
thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flew up to Scotland last year from Stansted at a similar time with only hand luggage. Was busyish, as in there were plenty of people about but no out of the ordinary waiting times or queues for anything.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's hit and miss. If security is super busy, spend £5 each on speedy security which is on the left by the front of the terminal. Queues can be horrendous.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last flew from Stansted in November, early flight, about 20 minutes to get through security then.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Flew out at 06.45 last Friday. Never seen security so quiet - got through in a few minutes with queues non-existent. It was almost like a small, provincial airport experience Toofy Grin

We did queue for about 10 mins, however, for the Ryanair bag drop - which wouldn't be an issue with only hand luggage of course.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok sounds like not as horrendous as that other small provincial airport at Luton has been of late then.
Fingers crossed.🤞
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I remember the first time I flew from Stansted we parked outside the shed, walked across the wet grass and climbed aboard while the crew cried "contact!".
We only had to go through customs at Antwerp. But that was in 1978.

In the early 90's it was pretty good, with the new terminal.
You could park outside and take your granny to the check in desk, see her off, then walk outside hop in your car, and back home.

In those days you only need to check in 30 mins before the flight. No security to worry about as you browsed the Sunglasses Hut.

Of course its a different game now.
I'm going through there in a few days and I'll allow a full two hours to get from the front door of departures and the gate.

I'm not sure if I should spend an extra £5 each on the "Fast Track", when 50% of flyers already get it.

I know its going to be a nightmare with a long Q at the desk,
a long Q to put the skis through.
A long stressy Q at Security.
Push and shove on the train.

But I think its still better than Luton.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@t44tomo, I don't think it's possible for another airport to be half as bad a Luton. Worst experience I've ever had at an airport.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Done 2 early morning departures from Stansted but always gone Fast Track. Last time it was golden ticket, as the queues in "normal track" were large and painful . . . previous trip there was nothing in it. But since got them with Valet Parking would probably do again if not.

Went thru' security (with boots) and had a joke & laugh with the 'em both times.

Luton is a dump - avoid! Went fast track in Luton one time to be insulted and held up for 10min. . .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Early evening rather than morning but this thread might have some useful info for you

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2964692&highlight=stansted+airport#2964692
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
t44tomo, go with Legend's suggestion: pay your fiver for Speedy Security and sail through past the ghastly queues.
You'll start your journey so much more relaxed.
Early morning can be the worst time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hullo, happened across this thread, before possibly starting up a new thread. My family and I (family of 5) are flying from Stansted in April for our annual ski holiday, and I was checking up on car parking.

Cost for the week seems ok at the moment, but I'm trying to make a choice between Short Term Economy and the Mid Stay. Difference is £10. (£49 vs £59)

The short term economy, seems a new area - and it suggest it is 10 minute walk to the terminal. (a squint at Google maps suggest 0.6mile, a km or about 12minutes)

The mid stay, is 5 mins on a bus and 10minutes between buses.

I was initially interested in the Short Stay - (loading 3 kids, wife and suitcases, snowboards and rucksacks onto a bus can be a little testing)... but having looked closer, think the walk (also laden with bags, and our 4 year old - who is a good walker to be fair) may be 'too hard'.

Anyone have any experience of that Short Stay car park (it says 'blue zone' - economy) and what the walk to terminal is ACTUALLY like ?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Personally with skiing luggage I'd go for the mid-stay and the bus. The walk from the further short stay car park is fine with hand luggage, but I don't remember there being any trolleys there that you could easily carry multiple bags with.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't know if anyone knows when the best time to book your parking at Stanstead, but I booked in December for my half term trip only to discover today that it's now ( 2 weeks before the trip) 10% cheaper than it was to book 7 weeks in advance. It's not much and they charge £7.50 to cancel the booking so there's no point me going down that route, but it would probably be the difference between Short Term Economy and Short Term Premium.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use the short stay for business trips with a wheeled case as hand luggage. If I had anything bigger, I'd use the mid stay and take the bus as it drops you at the door halfway down the terminal next to the check-in and bag drop area, and therefore much closer to security than where you walk in at the furthest away end when you come in from the car park. The walk from the blue zone is about 10 minutes without luggage, plus 5 minutes more inside the terminal to get to security.

The buses are frequent, and rarely full. Especially with 3 kids, it will be much easier by bus.
latest report
@Richie_S, I've used both of the parks you mention and they are both fine. With kids, clutter and a plane to catch short stay might be a walk too far.

Another option (at the cost of £3) is to drive up to the front of the airport, deposit bags and rest of family and then drive down the ramp and pay your £3. Turn left at the roundabout and you are in the short stay park. Then hot foot it to the terminal (<10mins slow walk and meet then at check in)
ski holidays
Mad as
latest report
Quote:

But I think its still better than Luton.

Being repeatedly kicked in the balls is preferable to going through Luton.
snow report
Thanks for that feedback on the parking - I think we'll bus it.

As far as Luton or Stansted, I haven't flown through Stansted for 5 or more years, preferring Luton (might be in the minority there) as it is a short 20 minutes drive from us. I can't say I've had a problem there thou. Security can be a bit busy, but no worse I feel than some others. Luton was also the first place I've seen to provide a clear drinking water refill area after Security. Drives me nuts that I have to chuck away water and then pay for a new bottle 50 yds later.
ski holidays
I used Short Term Economy (Blue Zone) early morning in early January. It is indeed about 10 minutes walk but very easy. Much better than paying to be nearer the terminal or waiting for a bus in the freezing cold. My kids are much older though
ski holidays
I pre-booked Blue Economy Short Stay in early December.
The instructions for use were as normal; drive up to barrier, camera reads number plate and automatically issues a ticket for pre-bookings (don't press button for a ticket) any problems then press the call for assistance button.
I drove up to the barrier but no ticket was automatically issued. Furthermore, there was no 'call for assistance button' on the entry machine! In the end I pressed the button for a ticket.
On my return I contacted the car park operator regarding their incorrect user instructions for this car park and they showed no interest. I think this car park was originally a staff car park and they haven't changed the entry machines to match those in all the other Stansted car parks.
The walk to the terminal was a little further than I expected (maybe because it was raining!). In future I'll stick to Mid-Stay. I can see no real benefit with Blue Short-stay.
latest report
I pre-booked Blue Economy Short Stay in early December.
The instructions for use were as normal; drive up to barrier, camera reads number plate and automatically issues a ticket for pre-bookings (don't press button for a ticket) any problems then press the call for assistance button.
I drove up to the barrier but no ticket was automatically issued. Furthermore, there was no 'call for assistance button' on the entry machine! In the end I pressed the button for a ticket.
On my return I contacted the car park operator regarding their incorrect user instructions for this car park and they showed no interest. I think this car park was originally a staff car park and they haven't changed the entry machines to match those in all the other Stansted car parks.
The walk to the terminal was a little further than I expected (maybe because it was raining!). In future I'll stick to Mid-Stay. I can see no real benefit with Blue Short-stay.
snow report
@richie_s, personally with all that gear I'd just do meet and greet. It was only £65 ish (search on the web for deals).

We are going through Stanstead with Ryan air on the first flight out on Friday before half term (10th Feb). I'll try and report back. Been through stanstead in summer hols although it wasn't an early flight and was a breeze.
snow report
Heading out tomorrow via Stansted, meet n greet was on offer on Monday for £52 - was an easy choice! Worth watching prices - seems they change day-to-day.
snow report
In contrast to @Mr Marmot, I used the blue park in late November and drove up, took the ticket, strolled to the terminal (<10 mins), did my trip, came back, drove out, went home. Couldn't have been more straight forward.

The advantage over mid-stay is that you have control over your own destiny.
snow report
DJL wrote:
you have control over your own destiny.

Did you miss the bit where he said he had a wife and three kids?
ski holidays
@maggi, ha! Very true.

As it stands, I've booked the mid stay, and will,deal with the bus. Tbh, my biggest challenge with the bus was the myriad inconsiderate other passenger who would rather try to push pass, or generally be bloody minded when I am trying to load or unload 6 bags of kit whilst my wife tries to shepherd 3 young uns on to the bus. Such events make you consider your own actions when travelling alone on business and encounter a family traveling.
ski holidays
@Richie_S, well, good luck! I would have used the meet and greet in your situation.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The £20 saved will be spent on a medicinal beer or two to soothe my shattered nerves....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy