Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Down jacket for resort

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys... can anyone recommend me a good warm down jacket for use in the resort in evenings (not skiing).

Temps are looking to get to -20 so recommendations should be able to hold up to these temps.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm selling a montane down jacket in size L which I've used in similar resort temps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mikee_j,
Exactly what fill you want is very personal - do you want to be warm standing around in -20 or tolerable walking briskly between bars? Warmer will be more expensive and bulkier and less use for other things.

Take a look at the Rab and Mountain Equipment websites. Both built their reputations on down jackets, decent VFM, British companies with a big range. See where your budget and tolerance for bulk gets you in their model range.

FWIW I have a light weight jacket and a light to mid weight jacket - I would get little use of a really warm one.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a full RAB down jacket, it saved my life dug in on the Caingorm summit in a Feb storm with 117mph gusts and was great for Canada in -29C. Also brilliant for watching the night slalom races in Austria. When it's not so cold though I prefer a belay style jacket, synthetic with a water resistant outer, better for damp conditions.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Down-Jacket-Reviews/Buying-Advice

I have an 800 fill Montane down jacket. If I say so myself it's quite stylish and reasonably long. It's very warm for UK frosty days... -20 is on another level.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice. Something to keep me warm bar hopping is the priority, not standing outside for hours.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have a look at Alpkit. UK company, quality kit without paying the highest prices.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For bar hopping etc you can't go wrong with the Rab microlight alpine jacket if you're particularly after down insulation, it's light enough not to keep you too warm back in the UK too.

There was another thread a few weeks ago with some good info on for you where someone was after something similar but couldn't decide between down insulation and synthetic insulation.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Have a look at Alpkit. UK company, quality kit without paying the highest prices.

their down jacket is very good value for money and would do a good job. A bit less attractive than the Rab and ME equivalents I would say.

Quote:

For bar hopping etc you can't go wrong with the Rab microlight alpine jacket if you're particularly after down insulation, it's light enough not to keep you too warm back in the UK too.

Really good jacket and you would get a lot of use out of it but not super warm - good for scurrying between bars!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For bar hopping, any down jacket from a brand that uses ethical down (i.e. not all the high street barnds do, most of the outdoor brands have got on board with it).

Walk into GoOutdoors and pick what you fancy?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having just looked at the go outdoors webiste, I'd be getting one of these:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mountain-equipment-dewline-hooded-jacket-p392340

Bargain!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For hanging out this is DWRed and recycled http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-bivy-down-jacket/28322.html?dwvar_28322_color=GLSB&cgid=collections-recycled-down-mens#start=1
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for RAB - my son has a deceptively lightweight one, which is slightly lower at the back than the front, and he loves it. Very warm without being heavy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pics of mine http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=129460
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mikee_j wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Something to keep me warm bar hopping is the priority, not standing outside for hours.

That would be a T-shirt and a brisk paced walk then.
ski holidays
Although I picked up a decent heavyweight Marmot down jacket of ebay for a measly £35 the other month.

Toasty while watching my lad play footie.
ski holidays
Jord92 wrote:

There was another thread a few weeks ago with some good info on for you where someone was after something similar but couldn't decide between down insulation and synthetic insulation.

This one?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127354&highlight=

Still some Mountsin Hardware puffas in SportPursuit although its seems they dont always have everything lidted on their site.
snow report
I have a marmot which I'm very happy with (as I got it in a sale at half price)... If I were buying agin I'd go with an Alpkit one - i've no experience with their down clothes, but everything else i've bought from them has been great quality and more than worth the price.
ski holidays
Do you want down or synthetic, does snow proofness matter? If likely to get damp or to be an outer layer, consider synthetic.
For practicality and warmth - and good value - take a look at the Snugpak range, several levels of warmth and design, often used by military, door persons, etc. Good tough warm kit IMHO, not too heavy. Also serves as outer foul weather later ( mine's seen a lot of Cairngorm miles in its time, also serves as general winter walking our standing around jacket).
Look up on EBay, Snugpak, also under "softie". New's probably around £120(?), I just picked one up for around £30 in vgc.
ski holidays
Quote:

to be an outer layer, consider synthetic

@Grizzler, IME, if it's an outer layer for cold conditions, you don't get better than down.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

to be an outer layer, consider synthetic

@Grizzler, IME, if it's an outer layer for cold conditions, you don't get better than down.

Agreed.

Though it's all down to individual preference I guess.

Aside from the warmth, the light weight and compressibility of down is fantastic. Very satisfying being able to jam the warmest garment you own into a stuff sack you don't notice in a pack.
ski holidays
I have a down gillet that fits nicely under my ski jacket for night time perambulation around ski resorts.
ski holidays
@jjams82, I suspect (!) the thermal properties are down (sic!!) to physics but personal preference down to ... personal preference snowHead I love my Arc'teryx Atom as a mid layer, bet performing item I have ever bought. But I also love my 14 year old MH Down parka, which is not as toasty as it used to be but is still terrific.
snow report
ster wrote:
Jord92 wrote:

This one?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127354&highlight=

I was thinking of this one http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2981743&highlight=microlight#2981743
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@jjams82, I suspect (!) the thermal properties are down (sic!!) to physics but personal preference down to ... personal preference snowHead

Yeah that's true...

I guess some people prefer not to be as warm:D
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy