Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow-sure, beginner ski resorts in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am planning a trip to Europe in the second half of January 2018 and will be doing 8 days skiing in Austria. My girlfriend and I have never skied before and have not seen snow either.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good areas that will be real snow-sure (not snow machines) and good for beginners?

Or would it be the case that at this time of year being Winter that it is highly likely there will be natural snow at every ski resort?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It would be extremely unusual not to have good natural snow by that point in the season. But also most resorts will have been cannon snowing the pistes anyway to get a good base down. It doesn't really matter in terms of the skiing, it just looks much prettier when everything is white, not just the pistes.

Given its your first week, almost anywhere will be fine, you want somewhere with good nursery slopes that are handy to get to and a few blue runs to progress onto at the end of the week. Going somewhere with a big linked ski area isn't important at all.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

(not snow machines)

Machine snow is so darn good these days it is indistinguishable from the real thing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Its not just for skiing on though. We havent seen snow before we really want to see a town covered in snow. Not just artificial slopes and no snow any where else.

Thanks for the heads up though its good to know that machine snow is good!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's pretty rare that the mountain towns aren't coverered by mid Jan. At the moment in the Amade region we are clearing inches of snow off the car every morning at the valley bottom Toofy Grin snowHead As said above, the resorts here have invested heavily in state of the art snow making equipment, I have been piste skiing since the second week in November with no problems. The other advantage with the Amade or the Super Salzburg ski pass is that they cover you for approx 45 or 61 resorts respectively so if you have a car you can chase the snow.

Hope the trip works out and have fun Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We will be travelling via Eurail so our decision will also be heavily influenced by closeness of train station to the ski resort. So unfortunately car is not an option...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Radstadt, Schladming, Kaltenbach (Zillertal),...
The latter of those has the station almost next door to the ski lifts.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tim432 wrote:
We will be travelling via Eurail so our decision will also be heavily influenced by closeness of train station to the ski resort. So unfortunately car is not an option...

Crucial information, that narrows it down a bit . In week 1 of skiing you don't need to be "chasing the snow" anyway, learning on the nursery slopes and then cruising the blues. get yourselves booked into ski school for the week.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also the Salbach / Hinterglem resort complex is huge, very busy Apres and much nightlife there if you like to party hard.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Eurocity and Intercity and express trains all stop at the stations in Dorfgastein, Bad Gastein and Bad Hofgastein. All of which have loads of inexpensive B&B's and I think Bad Gastein has a youth hostel right next to the train station.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy