Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What real world differences could I expect between these skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm looking to buy a set of new skis, took a look in Decathlon and they have the skis below, the descriptions are in the links next to each picture.

What I'm after are a set for improving my carving on piste. I've been skiing for about 30 years (usually a week a year) I'd describe my skill level as a good intermediate, 5' 10" and around 12 stone. So question is, what real world differences could I expect between all of these skis, rather than snob badge values? Any other advice welcome. Smile (Sorry lots of pictures, hope they don't use too much of your broadband allowance ) Embarassed

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/x-drive-83-skis-id_8371811.html

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/salomon-x-pro-sw-skis-id_8377510.html

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/boost-700-piste-skis-id_8343473.html

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/vantage-x-75c-skis-id_8372183.html

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/pursuit-400-carbon-skis-id_8371498.html

[/img]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're looking at pure piste then less likely is the first one being about 10mm wider than the others listed.

From the remaining skis, there's not so much in difference between them and most likely it'll come down to preference but think they'd all fulfill what your asking.

Just looking at the specs versus the price then I'd favour either of the last two as a good balance for the question you've asked.

They'll have perhaps a slightly different feel from each manufacturer. I've a friend similar stats to you and he favours the Atomic for piste skiing and sticks to them for the feel they give. Another is generally heavier by at least a couple of stone and prefers Salomon for their characteristics.
Another favours Rossignol with both him and the Atomic user being ex instructors, as above the last two in your list look like good options to me.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many thanks. Interesting what you say about the Salomons. I have only had to return a set of hire skis once and they were Salomons for the very reason of being too stiff for me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought the Atomics, done a few sessions in the Hemel fridge and a week in Bormio. Well pleased with them. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@king key,
You will find that the lime green ones will make you more attractive to women.
And the red ones are the fastest, especialy if you have red poles.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@DrLawn,
I've got 2 pairs of lime green ones. I was thinking all the girls were after me because I was a ski god Embarassed
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DrLawn wrote:
@king key,
You will find that the lime green ones will make you more attractive to women.
And the red ones are the fastest, especially if you have red poles.
Good job I went for the red ones then or I'd be beating the snow bunnies off with the sticks all week. Razz

Do matching red boots make them faster?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bought a pair of the red (Rossi) ones as they were cheaper than hiring for two weeks at the beginning of January because the forecast was rocks and stones and I didn't want to ruin what I considered my best skis and was prepared to trash the red ones.
What I actually bought was a brilliant pair of piste skis which gave nice nimble controllable short radius turns enabling me to miss the stones and rocks that would have trashed my 88mm skis.
Don't get me wrong I still love my 88mm and love using them in the right conditions but when the conditions are wrong these have brought joy back to skiing,and at £180 they have paid for themselves already.
@king key, I hope you enjoy the red ones as much as I have but you really need white boots, lime green salopettes and blue jacket to make you go faster
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought the Rossi Pursuit 400 from Decathlon and have just skied two days in Chamonix on them - they were really good on piste and also very manageable just off the side where the snow was still relatively packed by lots of people before us. I'm a fair bit bigger than you (6' 3" and 16 stone) but probably a similar level at good intermediate. For the money I'm not sure you could go wrong, I'm really pleased with them and off to give them more stick this weekend Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Do matching red boots make them faster?

Of course. Everyone knows that!

Only orange are faster.
Obviously.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy