Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2017 Airbags - Current Picks

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So are there any new airbag packs out this season which are the pick of the current bunch? The Ortovox has caught my eye as well as the Arcteryx - are there others to consider and what are the downsides of these?

Are spare canisters available/affordable for the Ortovox for practice?

What is the current situation with flying with compressed gas and electric?

Cheers Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@capability, A full answer to your questions would takes pages Toofy Grin

The Arcteryx is brand new this season, and as such unproven under consumer use. The Jetforce packs, either Black Diamond or Pieps, have been out for 2 years (and subject to one recall). You can fly with either electric pack, as both are within the battery limits, and in theory even carry them as cabin bags, but I think hold baggage is the better option, to avoid random security check issues (which are nothing to do with the airlines).

Their have not been any changes to the compressed gas regulations, and there are some minor points regarding the Scott Alpride dual canister packs.

In terms of replacement availability, you are most likely to find the ABS cartridges, as they are the most common.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have to say, as a new airbag owner discovering the fruits of the airlines, if I could have afforded a Jetforce thing I'd have got one of those, and would advise others to, if they can afford it. Airlines are STILL paranoid about compressed gas on the plane and depending on who you speak to, you get anywhere between an educated yes-with-limitations through to a no-idea-what-you're-talking-about-so-I'll-say-no. The ability to cut out the compressed gas problem, get as many free refills as you like, never be in a place where you can't get a refill etc... it's pretty attractive.

I have a Scott Alpride 32 which I think is a really well made backpack, and the perk of the pre-filled cartridges is that you can buy them off the shelf. Replacement cartridges for ABS are easy enough but people have reported difficulty in finding somewhere which fills them. I like the Scott as a backpack as well as an airbag, it's very comfortable and adjustable. That said the Ortovox Free Rider airbags are also really nicely designed backpacks. The Scott comes in a bit cheaper, from the prices I found.

So I've not regrets with my Scott, but if I'd had nigh on double budget I'd have definitely gone electric.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have an Ortovox Ascent 22. It lives at my apartment, so the flying thing didn't bother me, but that said, Easyjet were fine with me flying with it. I emailed them, got confirmation back and wrapped that confirmation email around the canister in my hold luggage. I read somewhere that EJ are now allowing the units in the cabin, provided they are disabled.

Canisters are exchange for a full unit and are approx €40 for a swap with your empty. That said, the Ascent has a psuedo activation/demo mode. Without the canister attached, you can prime the trigger and pull the handle. It takes quite a bit of force to fire the pin and it's good to feel how much pull is required. This is good as I was initially worried about leaving the handle out of its pocket between danger periods. I now take the handle out when it's an off piste day and leave it out, so I can't forget, and can't regret deciding this run wasn't risky enough to have the handle ready.

It's really comfortable and has more than enough room for all that I want to carry. I'm only interested in lift served off piste, so taking 30 litres of survival kit wasn't a factor for me. You can cram a lot in there though and the shovel and probe are held nicely in place, with straps and pockets for them. The shovel can only go in so that the blade is not going to puncture the inflated bag as you get tumbled.

Very, very light, very well thought out and a good design made from strong fabric. Recommended.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy