Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

learn Snowboarding before skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Is that difficult? who here has tried it before? how soon could you go on blue or above?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hamed, I don't think learning snowboarding has got anything to do with whether or not you have learned to ski before. The two are so different that knowing how to do one will not help you with the other. I think.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lots of people do snowboarding first. Fast, young, brave, beginners can do reds well within a week.
Even I, being old and cowardly, could do an EASY blue without too much falling over!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having about 100+ days snowboarding has definately helped me to learn how to ski, maybe not at first whilst learning the basics but as soon as they were in place I found my knowledge of how snow 'works' gave me a big headstart over other newbies

At first though some of the techniques I learned snowboarding had to be un-learned, for the first few lessons I was trying to snowbaord on skis, with fairly predictably bad results
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you want both learn boarding first - it may be supposedly 'easier' (I certainly don't find it so but I'm willing to accept that for some people it really is easy to pick up) but you spend a lot of time falling on your ass - if you can already ski the temptation to give up is incredible! aj xx
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sssshhhh, let me whisper this question quietly: For those who can ski and board which do you prefer and why?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I tried snowboarding on my very first ski trip, and it was tough. I found standing on a board sideways very awkward, and as a result there was a lot of falling. I could barely finish one run on the bunny slope. I decided to try skiing instead for now and had gone skiing twice so far. I'll stick to skiing at least for my very first season, but may try snowboarding again in the future. I found skiing a lot easier, but that's probably b/c I rollerblade/ice skate.

Another thing to consider is that if you have never gone on a chair lift before, it might be easier with the skis because you have a reduced chance of falling once you get off the lift for your very first time.

However, if you skateboard, I think snowboarding would be easier for you.

Anyhow, if you choose to try snowboarding first, expect your butt to be sore after the first day, unless you're going to a resort where there is a lot of powder snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
manifest, Sorry to change link direction again but have you been to the Burton store in NY SoHo area. It's soooo cheap compared to UK prices! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saxabar, you mean it's cheaper than buying online, from US retailers? I guess I could stop by the store, but not really interested in snowboarding right now.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Getting stuff sent from the States involved border crossing taxes. Unfortunately our government has a few things to say about that - plus you don't get to try stuff on.

Now all skiers want to be freestylers like Tanner Hall don't you all wear our kit anyway? wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saxabar wrote:

Now all skiers want to be freestylers like Tanner Hall don't you all wear our kit anyway? wink

rolling eyes Mad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I learned skiing when I was a kid and now I am learning snowboarding. For me the difference is how you fall down.

With ski it is really frustrating, your gear is all over the place and it is a pain to get up.

With a snowboard you just get up and try again. And I think even the falling is more fun ! It is really a bit like skateboarding in that way.

My girlfriend just started to snowboard too after being a good skier for a long time (she is from the south of germany) and now she is addicted to boarding after just 4 days on the board.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I skied for 6 years before snowboarding, I found both hard to learn ( I'm not a natural at anything ).

I've now been snowboarding for 8 years, although there were a few years were I did both.

I prefer snowboarding as I like the feel of carving the board especially in powder, however if the piste was too hard or icy I'd definitely be back on skis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I learned skiing first (snowboards weren't around then) Embarassed and learned to snowplough and get around very quickly but progressing to steeper slopes took a while.

With snowboarding I found it difficult to stay on my feet at all initially and it took ages to get the confidence to turn but after that the learning curve was way quicker than skiing. Off piste is way easier (but maybe that's not such a good thing if you have no mountain knowledge). Tracks were easy to cope with on skis but on a snowboard they were a nightmare.

I find skiing and snowboarding very different (the concept of edges is the same and that's were it ends). Get a big dump of snow and it's the snowboard for me every time but when the conditions are hard packed I have a better time on skis.

Which do I prefer? SNOWBOARDING of course!!!

Meg Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For now I prefer skiing, but I am getting the buzz off the learning process, the thrill of doing your first 'proper' turn and all that

For the last 12 years I have snowboarded, and loved it and to be honest always looked at skiing as second rate. But decided this year to learn to ski with my girlfriend so we would be at the same level and enjoyed it more than I ever thought I would. Not sure there was anywhere left for me to go with boarding, my carving was about as good as I was going to be and I was never one for the 'big air' stuff. With skiing I have many happy years of learning ahead of me, all that 'first red' and 'first moguls' ...cant wait. If I carry on boarding I dont have any of that

If I was a few years younger I would carry on with both, however my legs are telling me to stick with skiing. I can fall over more going down one tricky piste on a snowboard than I did during the whole week learning to ski!

So I am going to say I prefer skiing Saxobar, and I never thought I would say that.
snow report
Shocked Shocked Monkfish, I'm sorry .. your banned... go away and never come back.... Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

deep down inside... all your life you just really wanted to wear a one piece fluro pink romper suit Razz Laughing

just kidding... what ever floats your boat... thats what it's all about .. maybe one day when no one is looking .. I might try ski-ing

hmmm..... nahhhhhh !! Laughing
snow report
Going off my own experience, if you have only skied try boarding, and if you have only boarded try skiing, but give it a good shot, get a few hours in on the dry slope and decide that for your holiday you are going to ski/board ...dont try for 10 mins fall over and sulk

thats just my experience and def no regrets
snow conditions
Monkfish, That's a good idea. I live in Cardiff and outgrew their dry slopes sometime ago. Now I can learn skiing!!!
snow report
pam w wrote:
lots of people do snowboarding first. Fast, young, brave, beginners can do reds well within a week.
Even I, being old and cowardly, could do an EASY blue without too much falling over!

Not me! I was on my ar$e for 4 days solid
ski holidays
I had skied for 15 years before trying snowboarding . I had a 1 hour lesson with an instructor , then was able to tackle blues and pomas. The thing which helped me most was 'vision'. Looking into the distance to your destination and letting the board run . Once i got out of the habit of bending my waist forward as in skiing , and the hips thrust position of frontside it all came together. No, im not a teenager, nearer 40 than 30, no i cant skateboard . But i do windsurf and mountain bike , for me it is definatly the quickest sport i have progressed with. Given the choice , SNowboarding first , unless its really icy, then it would have to be skis. But get decent lessons , they are great value if you can group togther 3-4 people of a similar standard ,(ESF) . Do a coupole of hours say 10-12am then practise what you have learned in the afternoons.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy