Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the downside to shorter than recommended Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I'm an intermediate skier (or like to think i am) , 200lb , 183cm and I bought these http://www.skis.com/Rossignol-Zenith-Z5-TPI2-Skis-with-Axial2-120-Bindings/83793P,default,pd.html

second hand. They are the 162cm long versions. Would I still be able to ski with these? What are the pitfalls of using a shorter ski? As these have a larger area footprint, is that negated? Any help from you lovely lot greatly appreciated!

J Very Happy Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You sacrifice considerable stability at speed on such a short pair. "Intermediate" skier means many different things to different people, so you may even feel it at slower speeds.. "squirrelly" might be the word that describes it.
You might also need to get advice from far more expert skiers than I about how high/low to set the bindings as (I think) the potential tortional force required to release them if you fall may be greater on a "normal" DIN sitting than if the skis were longer...? Or maybe give your height and weight I am talking b*llocks... Very Happy
If it were me, I'd go 10cm longer at least.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jim, wot Perty says. It's not much fun with a squirel on each foot ... and you aren't exactly skinny are you?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You are maybe a bit heavy and tall for a 162 ski. I am a female 135 lbs and have 163 Rossi Zenith 6.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm also 70 in a couple of weeks..... And no great shakes as a skier. wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stability at speed and speed itself? Also float in powder? I am a similar size and weight to you and have always had 178cm+ skis - currently on a 187cm pair.

I am sure you could ski on them fine however. You might get some funny looks in the lift queues...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jimphizacklea@gmail.com,
It is easy to be seduced into thinking shorter ski = easier to turn, but for a chap of your heft they are miles too short. I am a trundly old bloke skier, over 2 stones lighter than you, and my skis are about 180cm. Some would consider those too short for me.

You may have a hard time doing anything other than turn on those.

Still, I could be completely wrong!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oops, so as others have pointed out, squirrelly is what you are likely to get when trying to go quick and straight, or in big sweeping turns.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FWIW If you take a mono-ski that's too short (I took a 165 instead of 185 - different times ), I found there was a tendency to over-rotate on your turns.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Eeeek. Hmm. Maybe I've made an error here. I like long sweeping fast stretches so "squirrelly" fills me with dread! Plus the bindings will need to be set correctly... So looking at everything here, wasn't such a good impulse purchase after all. Thanks for the politeness on the heftiness Very Happy Very Happy NehNeh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just to say my Dad is 68yrs old, 86kg (190pounds) and 183cm, he now skis on 168cm ski's to make his turns easier, he skis absolutely fine on them but never gets up to much speed these days and definitely struggles with stability on sections of the piste he needs to whizz (read wobbly legs). I'd say 162cm is too short and would make any kind of speed horrible and probably cause some falls. At 183cm, and an 'intermediate' I wouldn't ski anything shorter than 171cm's, although ideally 177cm's especially if you aim to improve.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm very similar height and kg as OP but experimented last season with different skis.

I've been running some old twin tips in recent years as I've brought my children along through their learning curve. These I run a bit short from ideal at 169 cm but they are only really limited in deep soft and off piste where I have to consciously keep the tips in mind so I don't bury them. On piste they are fine, any suggested instability just doesn't materialise as you wind the speed up. In short they work over a much wider range than people would have you believe.

Further to that, we rented for my son (12yrs and 58kg) some 150cm twin tips with 85mm waste. As they had very adjustable hire bindings on them I had a run on those, mainly to see if they would extend their performance into the size he's going to be over the next few years (this is with a view to buy them, which he did) and they didn't have any problems of stability even though they are technically way too short for me. Gliding was slightly slower as you'd expect, but turning and carving they just didn't have a problem. No stability issues whatsoever. We ran all of the skis through a speed trap that was set up and even that didn't phase them, not that much slower either at 55mph.
The biggest compromise I see you may have is keeping the tips up in soft powder. Outside that, can't really see you'd have much of a problem. You'll soon find out if you try them, but hire of something else is a reasonable contingency if you find them unworkable.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well you may find that they ski just like a slalom ski. My SLs are the standard 165 cm although they are a fairly heavy and stiff ski which gives a bit more stability at speed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK so I've sourced another set of ski's for me (I'll take them both) but you all know what you're talking about so here's, the make and model and more importantly length! Very Happy Very Happy

Rossignol Alias 74 - 176cm

Thoughts?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jimphizacklea@gmail.com,

I'm 200lb 182 cm, so very similar build to you. I've been skiing 163cm very happily for a few years now, Yes, it probably is time to go longer (any excuse for n+1), albeit I do worry about dealing with the mogul fields that I enjoy atm. While I do fall behind 'the lads' on the Reds, I make up for it on the blacks!

Really, they're not as bad as some would make out.

AR
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy