Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cry for Help...Food in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Night 4 in Chantillon, Aosta Valley, Italy. Here for 8 nights.

Great skiing so far (albeit above 1800/2000m) at Courmayeur plus the unheard of (in UK) areas of Torgnon and Chamois. Only me, Mrs MA and five others on the pistes of Chamois today - virtually our own private ski area!

Anyway, I digress. We ski loads in Austria and France, where we understand everything on the menu and love all the local mountain food specialities...but we are really struggling for evening meals here in Italy Confused .

It's not a British abroad thing - we'd really love to try stuff and embrace the local food but:
- Next to no speaks English - we're in a proper mountain town, not a tourist hotspot. I can get by in French & German...but not Italian.
- Our phrasebook menu guide is rubbish - hardly anything on any menus is in there.
- Pasta dishes don't seem to be a main course...what's with this prima and secondi pianti lark??

Help!! Any tips or pointers on anything?? We've already had to resort to 2 pizzas in 4 nights... Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pasta is normally a starter. And you may have an even smaller starter before that as an appetiser. Prima and second pianti is first and second plate, so would probably be the appetiser then the pasta dish. Then you would have a main course.

I actually speak very little Italian, but I understand a fair bit of written Italian (I work across all manner of languages). You're correct that English is not widely spoken in Aosta valley when you get away from the main tourist areas, but French is reasonably common.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just order anything - it's Italy so it's probably good. Don't be surprised if your main courase of meat is just meat with some garnish though. You'll have had your carbs and salad earlier.

Failing that Google Translate
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some local dishes for you to try (I'm vegetarian so I've only tried the first one):

Risotto all valdostana, made with fontina, toma and Parmigiano Reggiano cheeses and rice.

Seupa de grip, barley soup made with seasonal vegetables and potatoes, seasoned with onions and salt pork.

Polenta all rascard, corn meal chilled and sliced, then layered with a thick beef and sausage ragout and Fontina cheese.

Capriolo all valdostana, venison and vegetables stewed in an herb flavored cream and grappa sauce.

Carbondale, a beef stew made with salt preserved beef, onions and red wine and served with polenta.

Jamon de bosses, a ham spiced with herbs and dried beef.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mountainaddict, download google translate and the Italian dictionary while you're in the hotel. You can use it offline if you don't have a data connection.

Can't really help with the translation without seeing some of it though. If you take a photo and post it up, we'll probably be able to decipher it between us!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A little help from Wikipedia!!

Formal meal structure

Aperitivo
The aperitivo opens a meal, and it is similar to an appetizer. Most people gather around standing up and have alcoholic/non-alcoholic drinks such as wine, prosecco, spritz , vermouth, gingerino . Occasionally small amounts of food are consumed, such as olives, crisps, nuts, cheese, sauce dips, little quiches or similar snacks.
Antipasto
The antipasto is a slightly heavier starter. It is usually cold and lighter than the first course. Examples of foods eaten are salumi (such as salame, mortadella, prosciutto, bresaola and other charcuterie products), cheeses, sandwich-like foods (panino, bruschetta, tramezzino, crostino), vegetables, cold salmon or prawn cocktails; more elaborate dishes are occasionally prepared.
Primo
A primo is the first course. It consists of hot food and is usually heavier than the antipasto, but lighter than the second course. Non-meat dishes are the staple of any primo: examples are risotto, pasta, soup and broth, gnocchi, polenta, crespelle, casseroles, or lasagne.
Secondo
This course may include different meats and types of fish, including turkey, sausage, pork, steak, stew, beef, zampone, salt cod, stockfish, salmon, lobster, lamb, chicken, or a roast. The primo or the secondo may be considered more important depending on the locality and the situation.
Contorno (side dish)
A contorno is a side dish and it's commonly served alongside a secondo. These usually consist of vegetables, raw or cooked, hot or cold. They are usually served in a separate dish, not on the same plate as the meat.[2]
Insalata
If the contorno contained many leafy vegetables, the salad might be omitted. Otherwise, a fresh garden salad would be served at this point.
Formaggi e frutta
An entire course is dedicated to local cheeses and fresh seasonal fruit. The cheeses will be whatever is typical of the region (see List of Italian cheeses).
Dolce
Next follows the dolce, or dessert. Frequent dishes include tiramisu, zuppa inglese, panna cotta, cake or pie, panettone or pandoro (the last two are mainly served at Christmas time) and the Colomba Pasquale (an Easter cake). A gelato or a sorbetto can be eaten too. Though there are nationwide desserts, popular across Italy, many regions and cities have local specialities. In Naples, for instance, zeppole and rum baba are popular; in Sicily, cassata and cannoli are commonly consumed; mostarda, on the other hand, is more of a Northern dish.
Caffè
Coffee is often drank at the end of a meal, even after the digestivo. Italians, unlike many countries, do not have milky coffees or drinks after meals (such as cappucino or caffè macchiato), but strong coffee such as espresso, which is often drunk very quickly in small cups at very high temperatures.
Digestivo
The digestivo, also called ammazzacaffè if served after the coffee, is the drink to conclude the meal. Drinks such as grappa, amaro, limoncello or other fruit/herbal drinks are drunk. Digestivo indicates that the drinks served at this time are meant to ease digestion of a long meal.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^ and therein lies the explanation of how the Italians can spend the entire day eating and none of it skiing Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mountainaddict, If you see Cotoletta alla Milanese on the menu then that's the same as Wienerschnitzel (in fact some people reckon that the Wienerschitzel originated from the Italian version).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@letsgetpiste, Excellent description, often I will only have the antipasto and the pasta course (incidently this is why there is no point in comparing the price of spag bol in Italy and France where it often the main course). My favourite pasta course is spaghetti vongole or a bit behind simply spaghetti aglio et olio, but some of the ravioli dishes filled simply with beetroot ot spinach are equally delicious.[

b]@mountainaddict[/b], It took me months working in Rome to figure out Italian menus. Unlike the Britsh or French custom the Italian menus are not written as a meat dish accompanied by a sauce but often given completely different name. I remember one evening just having a meal of Capon. Relax and enjoy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Google Goggles, It scans text and translates.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You're getting plenty good advice here, so I'll just mention that "prima and secondi pianti" would more or less mean "first and second plants"

Pianti = plants
Piatti = plates/dishes/courses

Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@MountainAddict : do not ever visit China!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scrumpy, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I do be?I've That You have just revealed one of those hidden gem secrets....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good advice so far but if all else fails... Stick a pin in the menu and order whatever it falls on. It's Italy; It will be good.
snow report
Scrumpy wrote:
@MountainAddict : do not ever visit China!

Happy

At least they have pictures Happy

Mind you. Getting about on the train etc can be a nightmare. Hmmm what queue to join Happy
snow conditions
@mountainaddict,
If you speak French, go for it. You stand a good chance of being understood.

Polenta alla valdostana is delicious. Plenty of fontina cheese in it.
ski holidays
SkiingDad wrote:
@mountainaddict,
If you speak French, go for it. You stand a good chance of being understood.

Polenta alla valdostana is delicious. Plenty of fontina cheese in it.

First part - +1 the AO valley is very French speaking.
Second part - only the top few cm, the bottom half of the dish is sometimes/often/usually plain polenta and fairly tasteless. In my experience, anyway. Smile
snow conditions
vfr4 wrote:
You're getting plenty good advice here, so I'll just mention that "prima and secondi pianti" would more or less mean "first and second plants"

Pianti = plants
Piatti = plates/dishes/courses

Very Happy

Maybe it was a vegetarian restaurant Very Happy (If so, it would be the only one in Italy!)
ski holidays
Quote:

Polenta alla valdostana is delicious.

Oooh no! Polenta is one of the few utterly repulsive things to come out of Italy.
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Quote:

Oooh no! Polenta is one of the few utterly repulsive things to come out of Italy.

+1
latest report
foxtrotzulu - my thoughts exactly but I have to say that when in the Aosta valley we had utterly delicious food, we stayed in a little hamlet at the top of the valley up from Champoluc in a small locally owned and run hotel where grandma did the cooking and her pasta was amazing, it was always a first course unless we specifically asked for it as a main which we did quite often as it was soo good.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Quote:

The meat part is delicious, but the polenta is an acquired taste that neither of us has acquired.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 10-01-17 14:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
If you can get hold of decent genepi (e.g. not green but a golden colour), that's definitely worth a try. There's some very good ones available in the AO valley.
latest report
An easy (temporary) solution would be to download the Google Translate App.
Download the Italian library so you can use it off-line.
Point your camera phone at the menu then press the little camera icon.
The menu will be translated (almost) for you.

The app will also be a good idea if you really need some help, such as in the event of a slope accident, as you can just talk into your phone and it will speak out the translation (and Italian to English). But to do this don’t forget to download the Italian library. To do this set Italian as the language you mostly use on the app settings.
latest report
Very good polenta is very good. All else is devil's spawn.
ski holidays
I'm not sold on polenta, few bites and I'm stuffed!
Any pasta is good
Most of the food is amazing but some stinkers too.
I had a pasta with what I can only describe as the taste of an old trout fishing bag, each bite was like eating fish eyes, I don't think the Chinese would eat this! Apparently it was roe from some river fish, all the rage in foodie circles.
Never again, ill stick to my trusty Google translate app
snow report
@mountainaddict, Anything you order in Italy will be 10 times better than anything in the UK Happy Italians have a palate !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All I'd say is, don't get too hung up on how the menu is laid out. You don't have to have every course, so if you just fancy a bowl of pasta, just have that.
ski holidays
.....and 100 times better than in the culinary desert know as the Netherlands
ski holidays
Italy makes the best food on Earth.

Use Google Translate in app or browser.

Or shout and point.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

How can you say that about the nation that gave us cheese & ham toasties and caramel stroopwaffeln? It's not as if they're the home of bland cheese ..... oh ..... hang on
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, if you see it try Stinko, it's pork shank in sauce, (well it was when we had it last year )
ski holidays
Quote:

Where else can you get really good pickled herring. I try and change planes in Amsterdam purely to have pickled herring
snow report
the lard from ard with walnuts and honey is just that...not good.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, We are off to Pila again in a couple of weeks and there is a Restaurant we have been in numerous time over the years still confuses us too. However, we still seem to get fed in there and they just bring whatever we order without blinking.
As said above I am surprised French does not work though as just about everyone in Pila does so we can muddle through.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Where else can you get really good pickled herring. I try and change planes in Amsterdam purely to have pickled herring

Sweden is good for pickled herring. I have never heard of dutch herring so I must investigate. Thanks for the tip
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Northern Finland. Loads of stuff like that. I love it but my wife almost reaches at the mention of it!
ski holidays
Netherland, where they bring you milk to drink with your sandwiches at lunchtime! Hello we're not school kids, mind you at least they bring it cold, not some little bottle that's been left out in the sun until morning break.
snow conditions
Where's the update? Hopefully no starvation yet.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy