Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Vosges

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're thinking about hopping over the somewhere in Lex Vosges for a few days in our Feb holidays as it's about 3 hours from here. I'm not sure where exactly to go though. I have a 5.5 year old who can ski a blue slope alone, a 4 year old who's still working on mastering his snow plow after 9 days of instruction and a husband who's not going to be able to do anything due to a snowboarding accident on Christmas day (lost his binding half way down a run, dislocated shoulder and muscle damage) . I'm comfortable on red slopes after a long gap in skiing. Any suggestions on where to go and where to stay?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MouseInLux, i can't help but i'm sure someone will come along soon with some good advice.
just wanted to say welcome to snowheads Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hello- took family (2 kids, one wife) to la Bresse-Hohneck a few years ago- not extensive by alpine standards but fine for 2kids who were in same position as yours- big complex at foot of 4 drag lifts in nursery area and a fast chairlift up to main area which meant meeting up quite easy- great food by the way! Did get a bit crowded in half term but quieter away from main complex- did get quite cold but a good place to go for a few days- we actually stayed in camping la Belle Hutte as we go in our motorhome- but there seemed to be lots of apartments in this area!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We drove to La Bresse a few (5?) years ago for a quick 3 day snowboard. Arrived there and found a b&b on the main drag through town. IT was half term as well, so not too busy.

Slopes themselves were fine, as above, it's no huge area, but enough to get a few days on the slopes and get the hang of a few runs to then practice your technical stuff on.

Do remember there being one hill top that had 3 or 4 lifts all unloading people onto a fairly small space, which was a bit challenging on snowboard, but otherwise a great place for few days, and an easy drive. Lift pass and hire were cheap too!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
5++ years ago when my friend was living/working in Holland, we met up amd went off to ski in the Vosges area....

La Bresse-Hohneck and also Gerardmere think it was.... he'd previously been working in Paris and making weekend trips to Val d'Isere, the b@stard, and we both really enjoyed it.

La Bresse was much bigger area, but not being so big ( as the big names) is a plus as you have no worries about where to go in a way - just enjoy the snow. Stuck my bank card in an atm type machine and got the lift passes and away we went at Gerardemere... lovely.

I also have memories of lunch at the ski resort cafeteria having a bottle of Cotes du Rhone for 7 1/2 euros... but still doubt myself and think i must be hallucinating that bit - but it was great value.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We took our 2 to gerardmer/la bresse last Feb (aged 7 & 10 at the time), it was great for their first holiday but a bit limited from our perspective.

The 30 minute push-and-shove queues for the lifts in the afternoons coupled with short 10 minute runs down, and some very busy bottleneck/junctions made the afternoons more than a bit challenging - we got into a groove of being out for first lift and leaving lunch as late as possible then letting the kids pootle up and down the nursery slopes for a couple of hours, which you can see from the bar terrace wink

The runs are so pretty too, lots if trees & babbling streams, very chocolate box, the kids should love that.

Gerardmer is a really nice little town, free parking at the main lift area but it gets bonkers busy if you're not in and parked by about 10am.

They do a night ski on the red run which my husband went on with some mates, if you wanted an hour on the red on your own!

Definitely worked well for their first trip (I didn't want to spend a fortune, get there and they hated it) but they are really excited for a ski in ski out resort trip next month!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MouseInLux,

I lived in Luxembourg for some years although it is over thirty years ago now and your user name and the fact that you are three hours away from the Vosges suggests the same.

I did go with friends for a couple of weekends to Gerardmer and it was fine, however the snow is not reliable and it was always a question of looking to see if there had been any new snow in the week and then going at the last minute. I would not suggest planning ahead therefore.

I do not recall any serious queuing problems although they may be long forgotten. If you are going in your holidays you might be better advised to go during the week.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I live in Luxembourg but haven't been down to the Vosges for a couple of years due to the fact that it had just been too warm. The past week or so has seen extended minus temperatures and protracted snow making. Forecasts are that it will dump next week so next weekend will be the highlight of their season in my opinion.

The choices are La Bresse or Gerardmer.

Gerardmer is prettier and a nicer place to stay. Domains is neat and easy.
La Bresse is a touch higher and higher but gets swamped by raucous day trippers from Nancy. So its a case of horses for courses.

To be honest I will be surprised if there is any snow left by mid February.....Both resorts are low and so it may be better to bite the bullet and drive a bit further south.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We're not planning on making a week of it so with 2 small kids it's not worth driving more than that for a few days.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy