Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Gardena- Possible overnight to Austria....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I have like many been obsessing over snow fall....we go next week (14th) to Val Gardena for the week and I am still not seeing much in the forecasts! So here is my question (and please be kind if it seems a ridiculous question) if the snow does not come to Val Gardena area, and despite the great work they do with the cannons, what would be the closest resort in Austria that has had decent natural snowfall that we could drive to (and do one overnight). We are a group whose average ability is intermediate.

Thanks for any advice
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you do go to Austria you will go over the Brenner and there are places you can stop off and there is Innsbruck.
But you won't need any of them. The Dolomites have excellent snow making and excellent snow management.
Don't worry
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree with JohnHSmith . Innsbruck would be the best bet as you have a wide range of resorts to go from there and it will be much easier to get a Hotel for one night than in many of the resorts .
Personally I would not bother for one night, if you are already booked in Val Gardena, as you are in a massive, excellent ski area , albeit with mainly artificial snow now , and the new snow will come at some stage (probably the day you are driving over the Brenner Pass to go to Austria! )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both...its the curse of organising a group trip and worrying that everyone will enjoy it. What you both say makes perfect sense!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@darbyrw,

We're off to the valley on the 20th, this will be my 19th year of visiting the area, often twice a year. wink

Don't worry, it'll be great. I have also been checking and cross checking all available information and I'm happy.

The reason for my confidence? It's cold. The killer is above freezing temps, low temps combined with some of the best snow making facilities in the World will always make for a decent experience regardless of what's fallen out of the sky.

For sure, any snow fall between now and you and I travelling out will be a definite bonus and will certainly pretty the area up.
If you're still around on the 20th, maybe we'll have a beer and you can tell me what a fantastic week you've had. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Arriving on the 21 Jan, staying in Selva close to Ciampinoi gondola, perhaps meet for a beer. Do you have an good recommends for a ski service please; Les Arcs knocked mine about a bit and they could do with a full grind etc.

Cheers
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@darbyrw, within 3 hours drive or so you have LOTS of options in Tirol.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BillyJohnn wrote:
Arriving on the 21 Jan, staying in Selva close to Ciampinoi gondola, perhaps meet for a beer. Do you have an good recommends for a ski service please; Les Arcs knocked mine about a bit and they could do with a full grind etc.

Cheers

Yeah. It's about 50m from your accom. wink

Opposite the ski school, just on the other side of the road, down a steep ramp under the Sun Valley Hotel. Can't remember the name, he does quad bike hire. Haggle him, he'll normally do a full service for around 22/23 Euro, which is as cheap as you'll get one in Selva.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BillyJohnn,

Yep, we'll be in the Kronestrube or Luiskeller below at 5oclock-ish. I'll be in a eye searing green Norrona jacket. wink Three 50yo fellas with Cornish accents. Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 8-01-17 18:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@darbyrw, if you are only into piste skiing, you will enjoy, do not worry. I have been to the area just before Christmas and skiing was fantastic already then.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mollerski wrote:
BillyJohnn wrote:

Cheers

Yeah. It's about 50m from your accom. wink

Opposite the ski school, just on the other side of the road, down a steep ramp under the Sun Valley Hotel. Can't remember the name, he does quad bike hire. Haggle him, he'll normally do a full service for around 22/23 Euro, which is as cheap as you'll get one in Selva.

Alain ski I think, Google fu helped out in the end, but thank you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mollerski wrote:
@BillyJohnn,

Yep, we'll be in the Kronestrube or Luiskeller below at 5oclock-ish. I'll be in a eye searing green Norrona jacket. wink Three 50yo fellas with Cornish accents. Very Happy

I'll try to get there. That'll make four then, ex Newquay boy, although living in Plymuff these days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm in Val Gardana now, the piste are great condition and almost everything is open. We managed 100k today, without skiing the same piste twice and didn't leave the valley (selva ronda was closed at arraba). There is no off piste and it doesn't look very winter like from the resort but you don't notice because much is tree lined.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dklemm wrote:
I'm in Val Gardana now, the piste are great condition and almost everything is open. We managed 100k today, without skiing the same piste twice and didn't leave the valley (sella ronda was closed at arraba). There is no off piste and it doesn't look very winter like from the resort but you don't notice because much is tree lined.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BillyJohnn wrote:
........... although living in Plymuff these days.

Hard luck. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy