Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wax and edge hire kit?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're off to Austria in a couple of weeks, and hiring kit as we always do. This will be our 8th or 9th week on the slopes.

I'm wondering whether it's worth taking kit to improve the edge on a hire board. 2 reasons...

I'm keen to try to really tighten up my carving on this trip.

I've sometimes really suffered getting edge grip on icy conditions.

I'm sure both of these can mostly be solved with technique, but equally a decent sharp rail will surely help with a bit of grip.

So how good an edge does most hire kit have on it by mid season? Are most shops pretty reliable, or is it fairly likely to get something with a dull edge?

I haven't been away with anyone with their own kit to do a comparison in the past.

I've been working with timber for most my life, so can easily clean up an edge and could easily chuck one of the simpler diamond stones in my bag.

Bonus question: How sharp is sharp? Can anyone quantify it? Smile

Jess.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
so a friend of mine did his university mechanical engineering degree on the "sharpness of a knife" I sure a copy could be arranged if you are really bored.
Most hire shops service kit between each hire - an edge won't last a week in hard conditions so just ask for a mid week service.
Sadly a service is not as easy as a you imply.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BigSouthernJesse, It really depends on how much you pay for the rental, at least that is the way it works with skis. If you rent top end equipment you will probably be offered a free service or a free board swap(s). At the budget end you probably won't.

Equipment will (should) be serviced by the shop between each rental.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Charliee wrote:

Sadly a service is not as easy as a you imply.

Remove any dings standing proud of the edge
Flat back the bottom face flush with the board base
Flat back the side face at 90° (or with a 1 or 2 degree bevel inboard if required)
Remove the burr and take the arris off.

What else should you do to renew an edge?

I will ask if they will do a midweek service if we are having an icy week. Deffo easier to let them play with it whilst I have a beer!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Charliee,

Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass. Have enough navigation and weather forecasting theory reading for work at the moment thanks!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy