Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowblades- Woth a go for half a day?

Poster: A snowHead
We're off to Are in Sweden later on this year and I noticed the rental shop has snowblades listed, which we've never tried (we normally go to Poland and the rental shops have fairly limited choices so that may be normal elsewhere, not sure)!

Anyway, we thought it might be a fun experiment for half a day...but I've seen a lot of negative opinions on here in the past, so all I really wanted to know is, as fairly inexperienced skiiers are we:

a) anymore likely to injure ourselves on snowblades (both of us are fairly non-agressive skiiers, not speed freaks)
b) likely to be able to use them at all, or are they better suited to more experienced skiiers

We're not fussed if we can't/shouldn't give them a go, just thought it might be fun for a few hours on the last day or something!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm an inter. Rented them for 4 days on a very small slope (La Covatilla, northern Spain) when first teaching my children how to ski. No injuries, but I barely felt in control when going quickly down a slope, and they seemed to be hard on my knees - feet go up and down over every little bump and indent rather than the bumps being smoothed out by a longer ski. I didn't feel the need to try them again.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On a training course recently we were put on tiny kids skis, probably similar size to blades, so we could work on balance. Even some of the ex-racers who had been skiing for years struggled with them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BTW, on the positive side, they were perfect for what I wanted, lots of low speed work around nursery slopes and easy blues.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So probably good as a sort of training exercise a bit further down the line, sounds like they may be worth avoiding for us for now though!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pop fact - Snowblading was the "that" in the Meatloaf song.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Triplicate post!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 8-01-17 22:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Duplicate post

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 8-01-17 22:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On a couple of previous holidays we've gone and swapped our hired skis for blades just for the last day / last few hours, at no extra cost. Made a nice change when the weather was a bit iffy and we didn't want to be skiing all over mountain.

In my opinion they're ok in novelty terms, but the fun would wear off quite quickly if you hired them for several days.

They're also useless on the flat!

I wouldn't let your ability put you off hiring them. I think I first tried them on my second skiing hol. They'll feel a bit strange for the first few runs, but that's what makes it interesting...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes. Good fun an for a change. Good for your balance (lean back and you'll fall over). But....whatever you do, don't use poles. Blades and poles is ultimate naffdom.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just no
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't let you ability put you off hiring them, let your sense of self respect and dignity put you off hiring them! 😉

You're better off using the time to get better at skiing.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you want to spend 1/2 day on something similar to skiing, why not hire mono-skis ?
I have used blades for a day, and I also tried mono. I much preferred mono.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I board as well, so mono-skiing doesn't appeal so much, blading looked interesting, although clearly opinion is divided.

That said, looking at the rental prices, where I thought it said snowblades it may actually say snowboard...a couple of glasses of red may have caused a 'reading malfunction' Blush
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah there are two different 'ski rental' pages depending on how you navigate through the site, one definitely does say snowblades so I wasn't imagining it Happy
snow report
The only benefit of snowblades is they are very light and easy to carry when you decide to return them to the hire shop after wasting 15 mins of your life...
snow conditions
Surely being in the mountains on a skiing holiday is all about enjoying yourself. If you want to try Snowblades go for it - ignore what other people think, it is your holiday after all. I actually own a pair of Snowblades and have always had a right laugh on them. At the end of day it is all about getting out there and enjoying yourself.
latest report
Absolutely, I was more worried whether they'd be difficult for us to control as fairly inexperienced skiiers.
snow conditions
Not for me personally, can't see the attraction, but why let the opinion of others stop you?

Think the conditions have a big knock on though, was skiing with a guy a few years back that wanted to try them and the guy in the hire shop advised against it because "it will ruin your knees in this spring snow". Basically I got the impression that bumps on blades are very hard work.
ski holidays
vjmehra wrote:
Absolutely, I was more worried whether they'd be difficult for us to control as fairly inexperienced skiiers.

Depends if you're wearing a backpack or not.

Wink
snow report
Be aware that "Snowblades", properly so called, were the original Salamon product. Very unlikely to be available for hire now. There is now a wider range of short skis which are quite different - heavier, feel much more like skis and have normal releasing bindings. I have used both (unlike some of those commenting whose self-esteem is so fragile it could not survive being seen with the wrong gear wink ). The little light snowblades are indeed hard on the knees and MUST be kept on an edge to be stable - horrible chatter when flat. A top qualified BASI instructor put a group of us (competent skiers( on them one day, to get us carving and more dynamic. Huge fun. NehNeh
snow conditions
Have a pair of SkiBoards ....basically slightly fatter blades....from the US (brand 'summit')

love them, dont care what people think they're easy to use and great fun especially when weaving in and our the trees in the deeper stuff Smile
link to site if you want to know a bit more about them (no i dont work for them Neh Neh ) - https://www.skiboardsonline.com/#&panel1-1

i also have bigger skis Neh Neh some DownSkis - throwdown 89's

take both with me now, wherever i go Very Happy Give them a go, if you want something a bit different that's also just as fun and get those hips into samba mode

snowHead
snow conditions
Mine are the Salomon 99.9cm model with proper ski bindings not the Salomon bail bindings of the earlier models.

Give them a go - you will have a good laugh !
snow report
I don't want to be a party pooper here, but....
1) My wife is a good skier of many years. The only time she's been seriously 'taken out' was by an out of control middle-aged Brit on snowblades, on a wide, empty piste in Zermatt.
2) Try searching online for 'snowblades' and 'spiral fractures'.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
MUST be kept on an edge to be stable - horrible chatter when flat. A top qualified BASI instructor put a group of us (competent skiers( on them one day, to get us carving and more dynamic. Huge fun. NehNeh

This. (Surprisingly because I don't often agree with pam w, ha ha...)

Blades are an extremely good tool for teaching an inexperienced skier how a shaped ski can make their everyday skiing easier. They do teach balance but more importantly they teach that standing on an edge steers a ski (or blade) automatically. No need for a heel flick/ankle rotation, just roll your knees/ankles laterally and the ski turns itself. This is a breakthrough point for most intermediates to get off the 'plateau'.

It may be difficult to accomplish without an instructor to show you but it is possible and easy to self-check. If blades are on an edge, the ride is smooth (good), if they're flat they flick from side to side (bad). People who whinge that they're hard on knees are riding them flat. On their edges I'd wager they're far easier on knees because the shorter length gives less lateral force at the extremities due to the much shorter length compared to a normal ski.

I was put on blades in my 4th week skiing by Phil Smith on a Snoworks course and never looked back. Nearly a 100 weeks later, carving is still my default skiing mode and still brings me more pleasure than anything else... Very Happy
ski holidays
@Raceplate +1

I was about to say more or less the same thing.

I did have a pair of the "Big Foot" type they were a lot of fun but you did have to be carefully of tripping over your toes, but they soon stopped you from sitting back on your heels.

I also had snow-blades and they were an excellent tool for beginners to just right past all that snow plough stuff.

My wife uses a pair of Atomic ETL 123cm skis. They are a proper adult ski and so easy to learn on.
I find them great to use as well.
The advantage of them is they are just a wee bit longer than the blades but with a proper binding, cos the basic non sprung binding were an absolute pain to get on.

Anyway have fun but hide them apart when you go to the restaurant. Razz

What about "Fun Carvers"? I haven't seen any of those in a long time.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Yes. Good fun an for a change. Good for your balance (lean back and you'll fall over). But....whatever you do, don't use poles. Blades and poles is ultimate naffdom.

This!!

I've hired them before to muck around on when the conditions were super icy. Great edge grip so you can carve down icy runs.

Very unstable if you ski flat on them but very easy. Don't even think about it if it's slushy; they stop dead in it.
snow report
Let's just be honest. The only way to use blades is if you're carrying a bottle of jack and a bum-board at the same time.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I tried blades for one day many years ago when they were fashionable and had lots of fun on firm pistes. They probably improved my technique as well. Never used them since but it was well worth trying them out.
latest report
Dug my blades out over Xmas, as was an excellent change of pace for pretty dire snow conditions. On the serious side, they are good for getting your stance right and brilliant if you're with small kids and you need to push them, or pick them up etc

As I found out over Xmas - also useful to help my boarder son on flat bits!

As you can pick up a decent pair for less than €100 if you enjoy the experience pick up a pair and just keep them for a rainy day!
ski holidays
I still have mine, haven't used them for a long time but that's only due to baggage restrictions. As others have said they're a great tool when learning to ski and good fun too. You won't know if you like them unless you give them a try snowHead
snow report
I think we will have to try them out, if we don't like them so be it, if we do, great Happy
latest report
For the love of God, no.

They look totally ridiculous.
ski holidays
We have some from many years ago - the salomon ones i think. We've had some really fun hours on them. I totally agree with what others have said about skiing them flat. Wow, that shake is frightening at speed! Very Happy And also what someone said about slush also applys to deep fresh snow - lots of walking that day! The most fun was practicing our 360's. Might take them with us this year i think!
snow report
Dashed wrote:
The only benefit of snowblades is they are very light and easy to carry when you decide to return them to the hire shop after wasting 15 mins of your life...

It probably takes more than 15 minutes for most people to get the hang of anything. This is not a sensible approach: if you don't have the commitment, don't do it. This is also true for anything new: welcome to old age.

For the love of God, no. ... They look totally ridiculous.
With all those overweight mediocre skiers in bright clothing I doubt you'd stand out much.

Get it done. Let the haters hate.
snow report
I hired them for a day, it may have been before I got full carving skis and I found the short radius turns that I could carve were serious fun. I got in a lift with an instructor that was probably born after I had started skiing and I mentioned how they carved, to which he said "you can't carve blades" his face was a picture when I offered to give him some skiing lessons
snow report
I think they are worth playing with for half a day. As Pam and Raceplate say they are actually good for carving practice - getting a real feel for your edges. In my experience you get most of the benefit of that in half a day.

Also I totally disagree with this:
Quote:

They're also useless on the flat!

They are great on the flat because they are so easy to skate on (one of the reasons to leave your poles behind)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy