Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Disposable hand warmers, yay or nay?

Poster: A snowHead
Have used them over the last 2 days in Champoluc & Pila. -10C at the top and really awful cold riding slow chairs in the shade.

For only the second time ever I also bought the toe-warming version - would have had to pack in without them as my toes had got so cold it was misery....Not the most comfortable but felt like lifesavers.

Temperature is set to drop to around -20C here at high altitude... Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Always take them, rarely end up using them but when you need them they are lifesavers. Especially for kids, cold kids=awful time for all.

Make sure you give them a good shake and airing to get them going before they go into a pocket or boot. But not too rough as you don't want them splitting open especially in your pocket. Mind out when giving them to young kids as they can get pretty hot.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Disposable hand warmers? You mean like a nice hot glass of vin chaud or jagertee I assume?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought the rechargeable handwarmer it also charges your phone. 3 heat settings and goes up to 85 degrees and lasts 4hrs on full. Absolutely amazing on a cold day. I'd rather use that then the disposable sachet ones or those gel ones with the clicker in them. They never heat up the same once they have been used.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GorillySticks, Tell me more - where from!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I like the sound of them too. Silly question can you use the foot ones in boot while skiing or do you risk bursting them? May get some for this years trip.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@GorillySticks, I've just bought one of them (not necessarily the same make) and whilst I've not tried it in anger yet the hottest setting is almost too hot for comfort. Also not tried charging the phone yet either.

I had been intending to buy a backup battery for charging my phone anyway so thought I'd give one of these a try as a bit of redundancy.

I bought mine on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cookey-Rechargeable-External-Double-Side-Wrap-around/dp/B01M5IHHJU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1484225500&sr=8-5&keywords=phone+charger+hand+warmer&tag=amz07b-21 though there are a number of different ones available there.

It'll be interesting to see how it gets on but I like the idea of just turning it on when needed and then turning it off again as opposed to the chemical ones which once started cannot be stopped.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
20 years ago I was going to live in Mongolia for a year or so, and went to my local outdoor shop. Told them I would need amazing gloves. Their reply was I would need amazing core insulation; extremities mainly get cold when the circulation is reduced in order to protect the cooling core organs. I'm sure each of us is different, but any thoughts on that?

I remember when a Canadian instructor was complaining of the cold at -25C when I felt fine. I think he was just used to skiing in 3 layers, while I'd read the forecast and dressed to stay warm!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You do need core insulation. When your core starts cooling your body reduces the blood flow to the extremities as that very blood flow will increase the cooling of the core. IE. your body is quite prepared to sacrifice your fingers and toes etc. in order to protect your core organs. That's about when hypothermia sets in.

However just having a warm core does not guarantee warm extremities so you need both!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They're very popular with heli skiers, although these days you'll also see electric mitts etc. At Powder Mountain the guides carry them to give to customers with cold fingers. I conclude therefore that they work. That's a "yay".

I just use warm mitts and never have an issue. So far this season minus 30 has been about the lowest, plus a little wind chill on that.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bluedusty wrote:
I like the sound of them too. Silly question can you use the foot ones in boot while skiing or do you risk bursting them? May get some for this years trip.

I don't think that's a silly question at all, it's one I'd really like to see answered, if anyone knows? Are the foot version of handwamers bulky and problematic or okay?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kittya wrote:
bluedusty wrote:

I don't think that's a silly question at all, it's one I'd really like to see answered, if anyone knows? Are the foot version of handwamers bulky and problematic or okay?

There wouldn't be enough room in a ski boot for the hand warmer ones as they're about the size of a large tea bag, the foot ones are a semicircular shape, around half the size with a slightly adhesive backing to stick on top of your toes underneath a sock.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@gad, thank you. I had a long stare at some in decathlon the other day but really couldn't work out the hows and whats. Reckon I'll take some for just incase.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the info in regards to using them in boots. I may just buy some boot ones then and if the kids get cold I could put one in their fleece etc. I am sure they will be fine as they were ok when we had a -9 and -11 day last year. Only time i really felt the cold was on a long chairlift with a strong ish wind.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In my experience the boot ones are useless. The chemical reaction requires oxygen and there's very little of that in your ski boot. If you get them going for 30 mins outside a boot then the reaction keeps going (just) within a boot but they cool down slowly.
ski holidays
I notice that the disposables last for hours while the reusable (boil them again) last for 30 mins?

Very interesting to hear about the battery charger ones, they sound great - wonder if they're too good to be true!
ski holidays
Couldn't believe how good the tea bag type are. Still very warm after 10 hours. Only cost 50p per hand too! Love 'em!
ski holidays
I didnt like the foot ones either. They rucked up a bit in my boot and were nowhere near as warm as the hand ones.They were however really good in my moon boots for just standing about watching the ski racing.
ski holidays
@Orange200, the reusable ones have a totally different mechanism. They release latent heat of crystallisation - they change state from a liquid to a solid, the inverse of ice melting. In doing so, they release a lot of heat. This change of state happens within seconds, releasing all its heat at once. The resultant solid stays warm (just like bricks in a fire after the fire has gone out) but is not generating any more heat.

In contrast the disposable type are undertaking a checmical reaction - they contain iron filings which undergo an accelerated version of rusting. Instead of taking weeks, it happens in hours due to the presence of some salt and a high surface area. This is also why you don't need to worry if (when in the case of my kids!) you pop the bags and spill them - the contents are salt, iron, charcoal and a filler. Nothing toxic (at least in the ones I buy!).
snow report
Anyone got a linky for the disposable ones? I need more stuff to fill my rucksack with Smile
ski holidays
Kooky wrote:
@adithorp,
Quote:

like carrying tissues at weddings.

Are you related to Boris Twisted Evil

Oi
ski holidays
Sports direct have some but not, it seems, the shaped ones for toes/boots.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/gelert-instant-handwarm00-400048?colcode=40004890

Our local Tesco had hand and toe/boot warmers on their shelves but not on their website.
latest report
ster wrote:
Sports direct have some but not, it seems, the shaped ones for toes/boots.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/gelert-instant-handwarm00-400048?colcode=40004890

Our local Tesco had hand and toe/boot warmers on their shelves but not on their website.

Ta - gave me a clue, got some from Amazon.
snow report
Not sure anyone would need 60 of them but costco have the toe ones on offer http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/little-hotties-toe-warmers-30-pair-pack-759176
snow conditions
@gad, I am pretty sure if someone was selling them in the huts last week they would have made a mint wink
snow conditions
@Kooky, not talking to you

But happy to rub Vic on your chest if needed Toofy Grin
latest report
@Boris, is Vic up for that?
ski holidays
@Kooky, he's certainly up for it

I call little Boris "Vic" you know
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Boris, Little Angel Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Was just thinking I am not sure if the kids jackets have a inside pocket so was wondering how people used them with their kids if they felt cold. For example do they provide enough heat through the normal coat pocket or did you hang them in the jacket somehow? I am sure they are not going to be cold as they were fine last year but just trying to think ahead as the temperature is bouncing around a little.
latest report
As the packet says, they are hand /toe warmers. They dont really generate that much heat to heat a body from a jacket inside pocket, they usually have to be in direct contact with skin, i.e. in a glove or held in the hands, but the toe ones must work through a sock.
latest report
I am not expecting them to get cold as they were ok last year but thought it may relieve a chill if they got one. Suppose all I can do is try them out if needed.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy