Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

192 Bent Cheltler mounting point thoughts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi ,

My friend has just picked up a new set of second gen chetlers (the ones with the spoon like HRZN tips) and can't decide on a mount point. Lots of recommendations on the web about -2.5 from center but, he's a directional skier. "switch" is something you used back in the 90's to pay for stuff to him.

Additionally he likes to drive the shovels apparently and hates tip dive. As such he wants to go -3.5 from center. Has anyone mounted a set here? or has any thoughts on plus'/minus' for doing so.

Any input is much appreciated. He's a reasonable skier, approx height and weight about 6' 1, 90kgs all geared up if that is any use.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used to be a fan of mounting a little back on pow skis, but not anymore. Mount on the recommended line - the sidecut will work better on edge, they'll be more balanced in the air, and slashing the tail out will be more fun.

If he gets tip dive on 120+mm rockered skis then he's doing something wrong.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, i'll try and talk some sense into him. Any one else got any direct experience on the chetler i can bring to the party? even if it's the smaller one or a different year.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have the 2015 Bents also with the HRZN tips but in 185cm. I opted for the rec line mount (2.5cm back from TC). Never have a problem with the tips diving, but this mounting also makes the skis very responsive and easy to turn, perfect for tight forest skiing. As said above, these skis are designed to be skied in a balanced manner and their handling characteristics have been fine tuned for this. Mounting the skis further back is pretty much limiting what they can do; unless you are using them only for charging huge lines such as Alaskan heli skiing I can't see any advantage.

Your friend may need a few days to get used to skiing neutrally though if he has been used to riding the backs of his skis but he should soon start to feel the advantages. Tell your friend that he sounds a little like someone ranting at the modern devils of shaped skis wink NehNeh

I used to have a Nordica Enforcer as my only ski, 177cm and 98mm underfoot. I had it mounted on the 'Ride' line rather than 'Air', but halfway through it's life I swapped bindings for a freeride / touring set up and in doing so moved the position forward 1.5cm. I was blown away at how suddenly the skis became more precise and nimble in confined spaces and once I got used to being balanced on them I was definitely sold. I still use them as a general off piste ski for variable conditions and they charge well Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mounted mine on the team line which is -2.5 from TC, make sure you measure as Atomics marks on mine were way off on my set, they were in different places on each ski... I did a straight tip to tail pull, found TC, marked it and went -2.5 from there. Everything I read said don't go too far back on these.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. 2.5 sounds like the proper choice.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
as above and they ski awesome.192 2014 model fantastic to ski everywere but you do need to ski over the middle of the skis as they are very rockered great fun on piste aswell.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy