Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stranded in Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We will be going to Cervinia late Jan 2017 and we are hoping to get over to Zermatt at least once. If we get stuck in Zermatt (eg weather closes in) what are our options?

One thing we could do I guess is find a nightclub that stays open as late as possible ( Broken Bar Disco ), stay there till 3:30 ish and then mooch around till the lifts open.

Does anyone know if these places would let you in with ski boots etc or would we need to pack a change of shoes ?

Thoughts anyone ? ( yes i know its a stupid idea but, if all else fails, is it feasible ??? )
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a lot of mooching!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@smithadr, I'm sure getting stranded in Zermatt is rare. More likely to get stranded in Cervinia as the top lifts there are more likely to close in poor weather. So choose a day with a good forecast and make sure you are at the top of Trockener Steg by about 3.30 to get back in time. If the worst happens, there are plenty of B&Bs in Zermatt.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having done Cervinia a few times, if stranded in Zermatt the general consensus was to seek out 'cheapish' (it's Zermatt) digs. A taxi back was rumoured to be in the 4-500 Euro region.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@smithadr,

I wouldn't worry about it. I appreciate mountain weather can change rapidly and unpredictably but the people who run the lift system are really good. If anything they are overcautious in not opening the link if there is a risk they will have to close it.

Most (almost all?) of the stories you will hear of people being trapped on the wrong side are when they have missed the last lift. The last lifts to get back over are on the internet and are posted at each lift station. Don't miss them and the chances of being trapped are very, very low indeed absent some force majeure like a lift breaking down (as one did in Cervinia in December).

In five years of spending a fair chunk of the season out there I can only once remember an occasion of them asking visitors from the other side to head back early because of an unexpected turn for the worse in the weather.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hotel Bahnhof in Zermatt has dortoir accommodation (45chf+5 for a sheet liner), which is what a lot of Haute-Route ski-mountaineers etc use after finishing the route...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've done it the other way round and stopped over in Cervinia.
We took the skis in for a service and the boss recommended a hotel (must have been his brothers)
He also lent us some walking boots (probably his sisters rolling eyes )
We were not stranded we did sort of plan it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy