Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Königstour, Hochkonig - Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I have just been looking at the Königstour in Hochkonig, Austria and was wondering if anyone can comment on how difficult the reds are that you need to do?

The reason for asking - I am a early intermediate skier, more cautious than most, and that is holding my progression. I still love to spend a day out on the slopes, Blues are great, but Reds can be very varied - some are great, others can ruin a good days skiing by knocking my confidence and sapping my energy!

Thoughts from those that have skied in the area welcome?

For those that are intrigued as to what the Königs tour is:

http://www.hochkoenig.at/en/winter-holiday-salzburg/ski/koenigstour.html

http://www.hochkoenig.at/pdf/HK_pistenpano_en.pdf

Cheers
Kev
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Red 21 into Dienten is not an easy red at all, it is fairly steep and narrows in on the bottom pitch. Also gets a lot of sun so get get very slushy in warmer weather.

Hochkonig is one of my favourite areas and heading back in March, staying in Dienten.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can only recall one tricky red and to be fair conditions were not ideal when I skied the Königstour. May well be the same red 3offthetee has mentioned.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just done the konigstour today. Piste conditions weren't perfect but all our group had no problems. There isn't much difference between the red and blues and the pistes are generally very wide.
If conditions are tough ( not much recent snow) then it may be tricky but not too difficult.
When it gets tough, stop and take a picture, the alpes don't get more beautiful
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have skied the Konigstour quite a few times and the run that @3offthetee refers to is indeed the trickiest part of the circuit but in the current low temperatures I think that it will be quite manageable.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, great knowledge and good advice.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It will be a really fun day out; as you mention that some reds sap your energy just try to plan your skiing so that you let your skis do the work and ski in a relaxed manner, you can always have a few short hut stops if you need a breather. The tour circuit is truly stunning, with all the fresh snow fall there should be no icy sections to worry you for some time Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi All

Just an update for posterity, we made it to Königstour. Parked in Muhlbach (gorgeous drive up the valley), skied as far as Dienten and decided to turn around at that point - Red 21 did look daunting to us. Did a couple of runs around Blue 1a on the way back - a relatively wide and not too shallow blue so good for practising on. Skied 25km in the day and both agreed it was a good trip out from Schladming.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We ski the Konigstour several times a year always starting at the Aberg end as we base ourselves in Maria Alm. We are all confident skiers and so tricky to put ourselves in the 'boots' of an early intermediate on these slopes. However, from our experience and watching may others do this we would say snow conditions will be the key to how straightforward the tour is.

We have skied before Xmas when the snow is mainly manmade/hardpack and even icy. In these conditions the bottom 100m or so of the 21 into Deinten is often very icy as well as being steep and narrow so is probably the least enjoyable part of the tour. In addition the 19 down into Hintermoos in these conditions can be very icy (especially in the afternoons if the sun has melted the surface and then it has refrozen). This will only affect you if you are starting at the Muhlbach end as from Aberg this is the first slope. Personally I always prefer the 10a run down into Hintermoos and would take that rather than the 19 if open. Other than this I would say than even in poor snow conditions the Konigstour should be fine for an early intermediate.

We have skied the tour in February with great snow and it all slopes have been fine.

When we have skied at the end of the season the sun quickly turns the 21 into Dienten into large mounds of sugary snow (even before noon). These can be testing but great fun!

My advice is to look for the edges of the pistes as you often find the best quality snow 'left' in these areas.

It is a beautiful tour, lots of good cafes (I can recommend the Hochmais Alm on the 29 down into Hinterthal).

Enjoy it!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know the original op has been there done it by now but for anyone else looking to do the tour I concur with all that's been said about 21 into Dienten
It is well worth the effort though as the slopes on the other side afterwards are great as are a load of the huts

In all our years of going to Maria Alm I've never stopped at the Hochmais Alm, so that is one to tick off next month

I can also recommend Scheppal Alm on 1a into Muhlbach for lunch

If spending the day on Aberg, do take time to try the Grostl at Wastlalm on Red 23. I'm salivating at the thought of it now
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
By the way, anyone know if the run from Natrun to Aberg is open this year?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is as of today but is the typically the first to shut catches the sun so much. It is the '9' Sonnbergabfahrt run I believe.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another fan of the Hochmais Alm here.

Looking forward to trying the new Die Deanterin on Burgalm in March.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dking2001 wrote:
It is as of today but is the typically the first to shut catches the sun so much. It is the '9' Sonnbergabfahrt run I believe.

Thanks and yes, very rarely open although we did have one year when it was open all week but it was in pretty poor shape by the end of it, and it didn't open at all last year. It was particularly mild last year mind
It's a nice little warm up I find
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
3offthetee wrote:
Another fan of the Hochmais Alm here.

Looking forward to trying the new Die Deanterin on Burgalm in March.

It looked very smart from the chair when we were there at Christmas but it was always in the shade so we did not try it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy