Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worst drag lift ....

Poster: A snowHead
It's got to be @ 1:25 in this old classic...

http://youtube.com/v/pzAn3RYpazk
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What about pyramides at Courchevel .... a bloody long painful drag
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The drag that serves the park at Le Tour in Cham derailed and almost cracked my head open last year. My mate in front of me hopped off at the top of the park before reaching the top of the lift - which you're not supposed to do but everyone does - and the rebound from the spring knocked the cable off the rails which came crashed down on me.

Luckily I was wearing a helmet that day otherwise I think I would have been in hospital. Considered registering a complaint with them, but was happy with their remedial action and ultimately I wasn't injured seriously enough.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think @hang11, wins, but as @ardbroilach, says (albeit I never started til the end of the 70's) any drag with a ten foot horizontal icicle on the pylon makes you shiver. For me it was a poma on the lecht, the last section of which actually left me, as a kid, off my feet and suspended.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I remember a savage drag lift at Montgenevre. We poetically called it the "kick you in the ar*e lift" (back in 1997). It lifted you a couple of feet off the ground and catapulted you up the first few metres. Staying on was a feat to be proud of!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
About 25 years ago I remember a horrible long t-bar in Pas De La Casa that had a dog leg turn about half way up before getting significantly steeper. That was the worst I have ever seen, but with the upgrades in that area I doubt it is still there
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hang11 wrote:
my local hill, Heritage express rope tow at Roundhill in NZ. 1440 metres long, 26-32 degree angle, and you need to throw a nutcracker round the rope and hang on to that to get up there, no buttons or t-bars to hang on to - It's brutal, you crash into the pulleys, pull the rope off the pulleys, break fingers if they get caught in the pulleys, destroy your gloves on the rope etc etc, but so worth getting up there.

I'm sure I read about that lift in a guide book a few years ago whilst thinking - no thanks! Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pomas are designed for a moving start. There is usually a pictorial at the base station illustrating that.

Unfortunately a lot of people these days just stand there and wonder why there is such a big jerk as they go from 0m/s to 3m/a. The key is to eliminate the inertia by skating slightly just on the take up. This is one reason why some snowboarders have particular difficulty with Pomas.

Rope tows also require a bit of technique Which is why most have been replaced by Pomas and T bars. The advantage of course is that you can get off a drag lift. Carnt do that on a chairlift. Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
runkmc wrote:
Sounds just like Cairngorm Madeye-Smiley

Happy Yep the fast one from midway (M1? white lady?) Can't remember, I don't go there now, the organisation of getting up the hill is too bad. Only helped the last time by some common sense thinking by a fellow snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
musher wrote:
About 25 years ago I remember a horrible long t-bar in Pas De La Casa that had a dog leg turn about half way up before getting significantly steeper. That was the worst I have ever seen, but with the upgrades in that area I doubt it is still there

I think it's Espiolets in the Soldeu area, certainly answers to that description. Through trees. I love that one but it's now got a warning on for good/expert skiers only - if you went there after only 2 weeks' lessons it would be horrible.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The worst drag lift is any lift with this bloke in front of you.

http://youtube.com/v/4J4YRsGkEs4

Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any Scottish lift in the local 'slight breeze, with a chill to it'
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Only ever spent one day in Montgenevre and it's some years back now. However I do remember using a long draglift that dog-legged a couple of time at least and at one point was so steep it felt like it was lifting you out of your boots. Also had snow pits dug into the hillside alongside the track. Wasn't sure if they were to prevent you sliding back down the hill into other users if you came a cropper. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 8-01-17 14:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's a T-bar in Laax that is used by beginners and goes up through a sort of cutting. Once someone falls off halfway up (out of sight of the lift operator), they slide down and take out everyone below them.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I remember years ago in Courchevel there used to be a Poma to get you from the bottom of Roc Mugnier into the 1850 system. It had a fearful start followed by a flat area that, in the right conditions, would turn into a sheet of ice. Time after time a punter would be launched into the air only to land on the ice, spin round and fall over.

One of the steepest Pomas I've known is in Albiez. It runs up the steep side of their only black run. Once a French woman in front of me fell over three pylons from the top. She clung on and was dragged sideways all the way to the top. I was most impressed by her strength.
snow report
[quote="altis"]I remember years ago in Courchevel there used to be a Poma to get you from the bottom of Roc Mugnier into the 1850 system. It had a fearful start followed by a flat area that, in the right conditions, would turn into a sheet of ice. Time after time a punter would be launched into the air only to land on the ice, spin round and fall over.

This would be the pair of drag lifts called 'Fruit' now replaced by the aguille du fruit chairlift. If you came off there were no pistes any where near and deep snow to the sides of the uptrack. It scared me so much years ago that i still remember it now.

The Blanchots drag in Les Gets was suitably steep as well - had warnings all over the bottom saying experts only. Dismantled when they put in the new Chamossiere chair a few years ago.
latest report
I think the worst drag lift for an unknown person was the guy in front of me on a drag lift in a resort I can't remember now, but he was happily minding his own business, when the button fell off and the last I saw of him was skiing backwards past me with a look of horror on his face. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
The T-bar lift back to Cervinia from Zermatt. In -15° ... in strong wind.
It. Just. Never. Ends.
When it finally ends, you're only half-way up, because there's a second one you need to ride to get to the top.
snow conditions
Surely the best is the horse drawn lift at the bottom of the Hidden Valley..
latest report
Quote:

the T-bar over on the Swiss side that goes downhill and off camber about half way up

I think that could be the old, long, Barbossine in Morgins, it's gone now, replaced by a chair, thank goodness.

Quote:

In Morgins there is a short little double drag called Teleski Du Culet

This one, however, is still there. Always an opportunity for "yee-ha" at take off.

My worst ever was in Morzine - also now gone - I think it was where the Troncs chairlift is now. It passed through trees and nowhere near a piste. As a relative beginner in 1994, I fell off it half way up and, lacking the skill to ski down, had to walk the rest of the way up in a metre of soft snow at the side. I thought I was going to die. (I didn't).
ski holidays
This can always do with a repost, in this instance the drag itself is perfectly mild, but was the worst briefly for the small child concerned. I'm still sorry. And i did try not to.

http://youtube.com/v/hVmTR9p6IMI
snow report
That'll teach him! Very Happy
ski holidays
I've seen YouTube videos of a drag in Chile that takes you up a near vertical slope, four at a time, at breakneck speed. Doubtless somebody will know it.
snow report
@James the Last, Fri 06 Jan, 17 19:55 on this very thread!
snow report
There's a page 1....?! Embarassed
snow conditions
Quote:

In Morgins there is a short little double drag called Teleski Du Culet

From memory the Ecotis drag lift beside the Culet isn't great either - it has a nasty dog leg left on it.
snow report
Agreed about the drag lift to Cervinia from Zermatt. Foolishly took it as the queue for the gondola was massive. What felt like 2 hours later and im still on the drag lift in high wind and cold conditions. Theres a drag lift in Fornet next to Val D'isere thats pretty damn steep.
latest report
mk28 wrote:
Theres a drag lift in Fornet next to Val D'isere thats pretty damn steep.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it has a very sharp L/H turn in it.....where my Father off-loaded, thinking he had arrived at the top, when we were skiing in a blizzard. I had fun getting him back down again in 2' of powder.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Lutersee T bar draglift at Gemstock in Andermatt is recognised internationaly i.e. by my German telemark friends as the most awful in Europe, it has an exposed ridge, rock solid ice, erratic route and extreamly steep sections including all of the preveous. They took great delight in forcing me on it, and bieng the only Brit, had to go because I was representing my country, never again Shocked
latest report
Seahoob wrote:
The Lutersee T bar draglift at Gemstock in Andermatt is recognised internationaly i.e. by my German telemark friends as the most awful in Europe, it has an exposed ridge, rock solid ice, erratic route and extreamly steep sections including all of the preveous. They took great delight in forcing me on it, and bieng the only Brit, had to go because I was representing my country, never again Shocked

I went to Andermatt for the first time two seasons ago and I was really surprised to come across a lift like that. I have been skiing for over forty years and I thought that more or less all of the really awkward and potentially dangerous lifts had gone. Going up that in a whiteout with a blizzard blowing several times in a day was not much fun.
ski holidays
@Seahoob, @richjp, just to refresh your memory...

http://youtube.com/v/R1OpTa0g_7g
snow report
Quote:

Grevettaz in Les Contamines.

Steep as hell.

It is quite steep. And it has a pretty punch bouncy start at times but not upto Valais's entertaining standards.

I actually think the Veleray drag is worse - more sustained steepness and rather exposed. It goes up a little ridge which can get wind blown and polished and it seems to be a bit steep to get a basher up. Or because it's an expertish area they don't bother. And then the view at the top is pretty airy and not ideal if you feel at all agrophobic. My youngest is not a big fan of drags at the best of times (allthough she is highly competent) she was in tears the first time I took her up and is now on Veleray strike. ALthough annoyingly she'll do it with an instructor to avoid losing face.

But back to Grevettaz my mate had a frustrating / hilarious incident on it. After the punchy start and a little rise it crosses a piste. The lift is one of the few in Les C where queues can be a problem at busy times as it is the only lift serving quite a big bowl. After a 10 minute wait we started up it, my mate in front. When he started crossing the piste I could see a skier standing right in the drag line on the other other side about 40m away looking in our general direction. As we got closer I could see she was in mountaineering type gear, touring bindings etc. You expect a certain level of competence. Surely she'll move soon. But no. When he got quite close he gave her a shout. She looked up startled-rabbit style, made some pathetic attempt to shuffle out the way just as he was steering in the same direction and they end up in a heap. I steer round them with my full "more disappointed than annoyed" headshake. I may have even tutted. When we met up at the top he still looked confused "she said she didn't see me. I did point out that my red jacket and the drag cable and pylons were pretty good signals. She just went quiet after that"
snow report
The Roca Jack in Portillo is OK if you you get off it properly. Those guys should have waited before getting off - they were way too hasty. At first it stops and then the cable relaxes and you drop back slightly. Only then should those on the outside first, let go of the poma. Also, it travels at 25mph. Very Happy
latest report
We watched the second drag from La Rosiere to La Thuile launch an old biddy in exactly the way described in the OP.
For a brief moment she looked exactly like a pendle witch on a broomstick, (except for the yellow coat, skis, poles, helmet, lack of broom, etc). Once she did reconnect, after a brief nano second of dignity, she ate snow. She was struggling to get up, so I took of my skis and went to help her up. My French is pretty poor, but I am pretty sure she was one angry old bird. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Loving the videos. That Andermatt one looks brutal btw.
There is a cow of a t-bar in Trysil. The "mound" at the dismount is practically vertical which I wished I realised when I slipped off on my way up but clung onto with my arms. I was laughing as were my family ahead then I saw the end bit and swore. A lot. I managed to cling on but had loads of bruises on my arms. The next time we used it my then 11 year old got a bit stuck at the dismount and did a 180 to go back down again!! Luckily he released himself and just planted himself in very deep snow before his dad and
Some locals crawled down to rescue him. I can't believe we're facing them again next month Shocked
snow report
@The Flying Snowplough, @dobby, was on that drag last week! 1st 3 pulls took me completely off my feet & I hung on for dear life until I eventually got to the top!! Saw 2 empty buttons arrive behind us - some clearly not as lucky to make it 😀
ski holidays
@Scarletgirl, a few years ago, I was one of the fallen. Daughter learned a few new words that day.
ski holidays
Did anyone ever endure the T bar from the base at Galtuer next to the Almhof? Nothing particularly remarkable about it except that it was exposed and cold, and so flippin' long that it's now been replaced, not with a chairlift, but with a gondola Laughing I have bad memories of my first pair of ill-fitting ski boots and that lift, oh and being made to travel along it with my brother when we were both in our mid teens - not a good combination!
ski holidays
Riding a drag lift without falling off is a fairly fundamental skill, somewhere around day 2 or 3 on skis Puzzled
latest report
That bridge on the Andermatt one reminds me of Sheffield Ski Village.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy