Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this too damaged to be repaired?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been offered a board very cheap that is my size etc but it has what looks to me, as a complete noob, to be really bad damage

Would you buy a board like this?

I've been told it can be repaired for 20€
But I've also been told if I do get it repaired that the repair will probably come apart within a few minutes of use

Anyone got experience with repaired boards?
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd take it if freebie to use in the fridges, plastic or uk slush, but I don't think I'd pay more than a few quid for it - token gesture.
The scrapes mid board are repairable and as a nube, you'd not notice much, but the gauge by the edge looks real bad
though hard to tell without anything for scale. I had a board in similar condition, but not quite that bad, fixed up by
one of the highstreet majors and they did a belting job. Cost ~ £30 if I recall.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If the metal edge is not damaged then potentially the damage could be prepared.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The edge looks OK, it looks like the damage is down to the core, depends on how its been repaired, you need metal grip to bind to the base and then Ptex over that. If its been repaired with just a Ptex candle it will come out as it won't bind to the core. A decent shop should be able to fix it, the secondary repair should be fine with Ptex.

The scratches are just wear and tear.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've had worse repaired by Spyderjon; a whole section of missing edge. and exposed core.

How much is "very cheap" and how much is that board worth, in good nick, second hand?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for everyones replies, all good info I'll beart in minf in the future.
He's just sent me another pic and there are more holes, so I'm not going to buy it, I wouldnt even want it for free haha
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Holes that size are easy to fix, it would worry more about any edge separation which is neigh on impossible to see from the photos. I've repaired much worse on my own skis but there was no edge damage, I've also binned skis with far smaller holes which had caused massive edge separation.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As long as the only damage is that the base has ripped away and exposed the core/inside edges, then I wouldn't have an issue. Easily repairable, and if the repair does fail, easily repairable again.

In my experience, if there's any damage to the rail (bent, cracked), or any warping or delamination (coming apart) of the layers whether due to water or impact, no repair will hold for very long. Others will have different thoughts to mine there, but I'd never buy anything with any deformity.

Can't give you a value just by looking at that one pic though! What make/model/year for starters?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy