Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling all Bourg (BSM) residents and aficionados

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

We have been living down in the Pyrenees for the last 13 odd years (my wife and I are guides and run a trekking/skiing company), and are thinking of a change of view. Subsequently we are after a bit of advice.

We have a young bilingual family all born and raised in France (3, 5 and 7), so happy in the French school system and our business can theoretically follow us about. With that sort of background and family Bourg seems a good choice as a place to live year round. BSM looks like it is within striking distance of work/skiing/trekking in the mountains and is a year round, not too seasonal/expensive place to live.

It would be great to here from any fellow Snowheads with advice ranging from "You crazy fool, stay where you are!", to "its a great place, kids love it and we need a walking guide..." And also have a heads up if possible on which places/villages/areas are good to live in and whether you know of any bargains about that could take a family of 5 (plots, new. knackered whatever but easy access to school/activities or school pickups)

Thank you

snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HPR, GR11, GR10 for summer it is a much better area I think - a very nice area to have for guiding.

I think competition will be harder for you in the Alps - is it just for a change?

Edit: Sorry did not get the headline (not from there) Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bourg will fulfil all your sporting requirements, you can get to Les Arcs from the town centre and the EK is 35 mins, 3V about 45.

However, since the army left it ripped the heart out of the town (about 35% of the economically active population), it is slowly recovering though. It is much prettier than Moutiers. On education my next door neighbour in Tignes refused to send her 11 year old to the 'secondary school' as it is a bit rough. The kid goes to Albertville. Other kids have done well. Others that I know have gone off the rails, badly, as they were freed from their parents in the bubble that is Tignes. This is only a small sample I know but worth a bit more investigation before you launch.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @Hyst, and @chocksaway,

It is just for a change really, we have been here a long time and just fancy seeing a different area. It seems like a good time and not too disruptive for the children at this age.

Does look like I would need to do a bit more investigation.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@in garbure we trust, have you thought about Briancon?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You'd be nutty to change the Pyrenees for BsM. Consider the Hautes-Alpes for somewhere pleasant to live.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@in garbure we trust, we did meet in Bareges.

Like a few have already said think our part of the world will be better for you.

Far far better summer activities and major GR routes etc

Road cycling VTT etc etc.

The likes of Bourg resorts are trying to play catch up with our part of the world in the Sumner.

Just take a look at the amount of TDF stages like you in the Pyrenees we've had.

And friend who is a La Grave guide now moves famille to Briancon as in summer autumn as schools etc really good.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ditto to prefer hautes alpes (Briancon) over BSM.
Much better climate, less expensive, more variety in outdoor sports, mecca for offpiste (Abries etc)

http://youtube.com/v/ptE2kcpCMVw

Walkinng and climbing in the queyras, or ecrins valleys hmmmm
Rafting

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 5-01-17 21:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And know of a superb buiness opportunity for sale that would be right up your street!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, Sounds interesting tell me more!

We did come and have a look at Briancon and Serre Chevalier at the end of last season and liked it a lot. I thought I should look at all the options though so was also wondering about BSM. You are right though it does seem much more industrial/commercial than we are use to.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy