Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your most embarrassing moments.

Poster: A snowHead
Whilst coming up the mountain on a chairlift with my son (about 14 at the time) there was a lady who we ended up chatting with. It was virtually the first time she had come up on a chairlift and was rather nervous about them. I told her as a seasoned veteran there was not a thing to worry about.

We were approaching the last 20 feet or so and started to raise the safety bar, lift the ski tips up and shift ones butt towards the edge of the seat in preparation for the launch out of the seat. My son, who was in a world of his own at this stage didn't bother to lift his skis up which stuck into the approaching ramp like a harpoon with the rear of the skis jamming under the seat and cantilevering it backwards as the cable kept pulling. The result was I was thrown forward and fell under the chair whilst the other occupiers managed to stay in. The operator hit the emergency stop button. Slowly I crawled out from under the seat and up the slope to the normal exit place. I can still hear the laughing behind me during the crawl of shame.... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went to Kitzbuhel in 2001. My wife had just lost about 4 stone that year. I was pushing on a bit in front of her so stopped after taking a corner to wait... and wait...and wait. She finally appeared a bit red in the face, explaining that she'd taken a tumble in the middle of the piste and a nice German gentleman had helped her up. Problem was her salopettes were round her ankles!! Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My embarrassing moment wasn't on skis and not a lot of people witnessed it....so if you lot don't tell anyone, I might just get away with it. rolling eyes

I was staying in a Hotel in the 3V which had a small Pool/Sauna/Jacuzzi. They were doing up their changing area, so we had to hang our clothes on a peg.

After a hard day's skiing, I went down to their "Wellness Area", hung my clothes on the peg and had a very relaxing time, easing my stiff old bones with steam and hot bubbles.

After about an hour, I was suitably cooked and feeling pleasantly tired, in a relaxed sort of way, so went back into the changing room and over to my peg. I pulled on my pants and then my jeans....only to find that my jeans were now 2" too big. In my woozy state, I thought, "I've effing melted in there" (it was very hot after all). I then reached for my shirt....except it wasn't my shirt.

Gradually the fog in my brain started to clear, allowing logic to prevail..."If that isn't my shirt, then these aren't my jeans."... but as I continued following through with this train of thought, I could feel a cold shiver start at the bottom of my spine and work its way to the top of my head, raising the hairs on the back of my neck....if these aren't my jeans, then I'm wearing somebody else's underwear!!!

I think I screamed - one of those unflattering girly efforts - while I continued to shudder at the very thought of it.

I looked left and my worst fears were confirmed. There were my clothes (looking very similar - same brand of jeans on top) hanging neatly where I'd left them. This spurred me into action....not a controlled, methodical sort of action.....but one led by blind panic. Hopping around on one leg like a demented pogo stick, tugging frantically on the other (his jeans were slimmer fitting), swearing silently to myself.

I finally succeeded in removing the jeans...and with a final grimace, flung off the interloping underwear, placed the clothes back on the peg, hoping that their owner would never realize that a complete stranger had worn his boxers.

I was so absorbed in my personal crisis, that I forgot that I might have an audience. When I finally looked round, there were only a couple of kids (thank goodness), who were far too involved in their own business to pass any remarks. I wished them a "Good Evening" in as deep and calm a voice as I could muster and sauntered nonchalantly out.

Telling Lady F was a tactical error, as not only did it nearly cause a conniption, but she thought everyone she knew should be informed.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 5-01-17 21:00; edited 9 times in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fantastic!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's the funniest thing I've heard in ages, @Old Fartbag!!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Handy Turnip wrote:
That's the funniest thing I've heard in ages, @Old Fartbag!!!

Unfortunately, Lady F thought the same!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Fartbag, "conniption". Great word Laughing . Friend of mine often used the expression "hairy conniption" Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah!@Old Fartbag thats the trouble with all this wellness stuff.

My moment was October 1994 in Neustift.

I think I know how to behave in saunas and steam rooms .. that is be a good European and take your kit off.
So I did, nice sauna cooked to a prune.
Showered and dried off and went around to the Jacuzzi which had a couple of young couples bubbling away in it.

I sat there for a few minutes when I noticed that the young ladies straps on their swimsuits were showing.
Then one the guys got up and he was wearing swimming trunks!

Now tell me which is correct, drive on the left or the right?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DrLawn wrote:

"Wellness" my ar$e, so to speak. Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 5-01-17 21:58; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DrLawn wrote:

My moment was October 1994 in Neustift.

I think I know how to behave in saunas and steam rooms .. that is be a good European and take your kit off.
So I did, nice sauna cooked to a prune.
Showered and dried off and went around to the Jacuzzi which had a couple of young couples bubbling away in it.

I sat there for a few minutes when I noticed that the young ladies straps on their swimsuits were showing.
Then one the guys got up and he was wearing swimming trunks!

Now tell me which is correct, drive on the left or the right?

Golden rule - in sauna follow the finnish approach Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mooney058 wrote:

Golden rule - in sauna follow the finnish approach Smile

....being whacked by a small bush?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Old Fartbag,..being whacked by a small bush?

Now that's a whole different forum! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gazzaredcruiser wrote:
@Old Fartbag,..being whacked by a small bush?

Now that's a whole different forum! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Do you have a link? Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
on the same holiday i had 2 moments, neither were embarrassing for me as i am used to the mickey taking, but embarrassing for the other people.....i am a very big boy in the man department and as such i need to wear trousers that are a bit to big for me around the waist to accomodate the extra baggage elsewhere, now as your all aware at airports you have to remove your belts, usually i wear a fabric belt so i dont have to remove it, but on this occassion i had a metal belt so had to take it off, i kept one hand on my trousers to hold them up or they would just fall to the floor, the very nice security girl asked me to move my hands so she could frisk me, i told her if i did my trousers would fall down and i"m not wearing any underwear, she said she didnt believe me and in the interests of security i would be arrested if i did not move my hands, so i turned round to the other people waiting and warned them what would happen if i moved my hands and if they did want to look you should look away now, i moved my hands, my trousers fell down and i was stood there half naked, the security girl shrieked and ran off, the very old lady behind me said you dont get very many of them to a pound, then a very portly man security guard came over and told every one to settle down, i asked him if i could put back on my trousers, he said yes and i went through the scanners, i saw the girl security guard sat down with a cup of tea, so i went up to her and asked if she was alright, she said it was her first day on the job and she never expected to see that, thats when i should have asked her for phone number. on the same holiday which was in arabba, i was skiing down the long blue piste home run when i got stopped by the ski patrol, "do you know its dangerous to ski with things hidden in your trousers" he said, yes i replied,but i"ve nothing down there but me, prove it he says, my mate is now laughing his head off saying the ski patrol man is obviously gay and he just wants to have a look, so once again i let everything drop to the floor and once again i find myself half naked in front of a stranger, the patrol man said thank you and skied off, this is the only holiday i"ve ever had where i have had this problem, and for it to happen twice in a couple of days.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah, right.... rolling eyes
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:

....being whacked by a small bush?

Is that not what happened to Saddam Hussein?
snow report
do i detect a note of cynycism, its all true, medically speaking i have whats known as a hydrocele, and its being operated on this year, no longer will i be teased and ridiculed in the showers after football.
snow report
@compostcorner,

the implausible bits are less your, er, proportions than the fact than
A) given all that you'd chose not to where some kind of undercrackers
B) even more that the ski patrol would stop someone for having a bulging crotch
C) either you or he would think it was appropriate to disrobe beside the piste to settle a nonsensical debate

surely you can do better than that!
ski holidays
Many years ago when I was 18 I thought I was God's gift to skiing. With that in mind I approached a drag lift queue at great speed waiting for the last second to stop in the skiing equivalent of a hand brake turn... However I seriously misjudged it, realising it was going too fast I cut round the back of the large queue, however I couldn't then loose any speed as the snow was rough and icy. So I carried on at full speed straight into the side of the lift operators wooden hut. Both bindings gave and I hit straight into the hut and collapsed in a heap. Looking up I could see lots of people all looking at me thinking the same thing... My 190cm skis were bent up badly 20cm from the tips, which I had to use for another few months and acted as a useful reminder to not be a dick.
ski holidays
Most of mine have started with the phrase "watch this" and ended in various crumpled heaps on the floor.
latest report
I particularly liked the undercurrent of homophobia in @compostcorner post. Obviously all Italians are effette men staring at men's groins looking for an excuse to grope them.
ski holidays
Laughing always something new to look forward to on SHs. Never a dull moment.

I shall add mine. The acute though mercifully brief pain when I hit the ground, fracturing my pelvis, turned my bowels to water.... Embarassed
snow report
Whilst in Meribel a few years ago I thought I would take on the boarder cross course. Having skied over from Les Menuires my friend and I were skiing well and confidence levels were high. Pushing out of the start gate I soon realised that I had bitten off way more than I could chew. Taking the first roller at great speed I tried desperately to stop, in the process I managed to spin round and fall over backwards dislocating my shoulder in the process. A ski school of kids came down just after me and all skied past as though they were on a blue run. Embarassed

Also in Les Arcs one year after a long lunch in the Blanche Muree I managed to stack it into the bank of snow on the side of the piste whilst barely moving. I will never forget some young French kid skiing past me and saying as she went (in French) "It is only a green run you know" !! Again ....... Embarassed
snow report
My friend lost his ski at the bottom of a chairlift in Tignes a few years ago. Not a huge problem, spotted by the liftie and given to someone a couple of chairs behind.

As we got towards the top, I called out to the liftie there that we had a skier with only one ski. He swiftly came out of his hut and looked as if he was about to slow the lift for us (it was one of the older un-detachable ones). Instead, he just stood there watching as I attempted to keep my mate upright and moving forward on his one ski.

Skillfully he skidded under me, pulling me to the ground with him and we lay in a heap in the middle of the exit area. Liftie just stared at us, muttering, left the lift going at normal speed and only stopped it when half the people on the lift behind had nearly joined us on the snow.

My wife, who was on the lift with us, just skied off into the distance as if we had nothing to do with her Embarassed
ski holidays
It was the first night of my very first learn to ski holiday in Pamporovo with 2 housemates and the hotel we were staying in was on quite a steep hill. I couldn't understand why people were gingerly walking down trying not to slip and decided it would be much easier to just slide down the relatively short hill on my feet. Of course I hadn't thought about how I was going to stop and after sliding about 4 feet I'd already gathered too much momentum to stop with any kind of dignity and ended up running head long into a (thankfully soft) snow bank at the bottom of the hill. Lesson learned Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@narbs, In fairness, your good lady wife was correct in her action. Not only did she clear the disembarkation zone to allow the next chair to exit promptly, but her rapid exit reduced the taint of shame associated with your pileup to a minimum for her, and save your feelings from hearing her laughing her back bottom off.
latest report
Hooning into the area at the bottom of a chairlift in Hemsedal. Light was very flat. Just about to put the anchors on when right ski hits a three-feet high pile of snow. Left ski doesn't. Right ski stops, left one doesn't, projecting me face forwards into said snow pile, winding me and covering me in snow. Roll onto my back to take a breath to see wife and two kids taking photos and hear lots of cheering from those in the lift queue.
snow report
handbag wrote:
It was the first night of my very first learn to ski holiday in Pamporovo with 2 housemates and the hotel we were staying in was on quite a steep hill. I couldn't understand why people were gingerly walking down trying not to slip and decided it would be much easier to just slide down the relatively short hill on my feet. Of course I hadn't thought about how I was going to stop and after sliding about 4 feet I'd already gathered too much momentum to stop with any kind of dignity and ended up running head long into a (thankfully soft) snow bank at the bottom of the hill. Lesson learned Madeye-Smiley

Many years ago, I was with a group in a Chalet in Alta. As we were sitting down having afternoon tea, there was a loud rumbling noise from outside, shortly before the front door was knocked completely off its hinges and one of our group tumbled through head first, in a clatter of skis and poles.

In his wisdom, he thought it would be cool to make a dramatic entrance, by skiing down the wooden steps leading to the front door...and that he would be able to lean forward, press the door handle down and ski seamlessly through into the chalet. Well he couldn't....especially on 2m skis.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's a lift in Deux Alpes (on Cretes, IIRC) where the piste runs almost directly underneath the chairs as they depart the station. As I approached the area where I expected to stop to join the queue, I realised here was a whacking great area of slush and mud in the way.
I panicked, slammed on the brakes, caught an edge and went head-first into the puddle, to the great amusement of the people on the chairs a few feet overhead.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@narbs, In fairness, your good lady wife was correct in her action. Not only did she clear the disembarkation zone to allow the next chair to exit promptly, but her rapid exit reduced the taint of shame associated with your pileup to a minimum for her, and save your feelings from hearing her laughing her back bottom off.

She's still laughing about it now, believe me Smile
snow report
Skiing in Banff (Mt Norquay) I managed to fall off the lift whilst reaching back to pull the safety bar over. Because of this my arms were above me and "held back" during my fall (I'm told 6-10ft) so I managed to truly face plant into the mound of snow the lift operators had accumulated over the past weeks. I guess it was a good job it was there. There was a great deal of laughing from everyone on and around the lift as I had to pull myself out of the mound and return to get on another chair. This embarrassment was only compounded when, having caught everyone up for the end of ski school slalom race, I managed to split my skis either side of the first slalom gate and once again find myself face first in the snow. Very much enjoyed the week and if you can't laugh at yourself you really aren't cut out for skiing.
snow report
We drove to Flaine to ski for the day. I got out of the car to ask the people in the lift pass office about parking charges. I waved My OH on towards the carpark. However he could not reach for the ticket at the entrance being in a right hand drive car. I took the ticket for him and passed it through the window before walking on behind the car...at this point the carpark barrier came down and whacked me on the head Embarassed Sad This did have to happen at the one point in the week when I didn't have my ski helmet on and it was very painful. that was the end of my day skiing in Flaine Sad
snow report
@narbs, That has also happened to me before. How do they expect people to ski off on one ski? rolling eyes
ski holidays
I shall have to omnit some names and organisations here, but sufficed to say after years of repping on uni trips I have witnessed some sights...

Learning when & where to recount these sights to people should always be taken into account. A few years ago a certain university gathering in the alps was attempting to improve its image with the governing body of uk student sport, unbeknownst to us the head of said organisation was in resort that week and with our chief of race for lunch that day, when asked what we had all been up to last night I may have recounted incensed that there were a few people having intercourse on his bed my chum had taken it upon himself to place is gentleman's parts on all crockery in the flat and urinate in the dishwasher...

I noticed everyone else giving the me the shut the hell up face a touch too late...
snow report
@snowymum, same way snowboarders do every time the get off a lift?

@lordf, if that chum was@compostcorner, then he could've done the all the crockery and pans in one pass, and possibly a cereal bowl in the next chalet over.
ski holidays
Here goes. A catalogue of moments in Soldeu, 2014.

1. Day 1. After about 3 hours in resort we had collected the lift passes and any hire equipment for the group and decided on a few beers. After 1 or 2 I decided to go and explore the area and went for a walk. As I went to cross the road, on a crossing, the driver of a parked car decided it was a good time to reverse to get out of the space he was in. He reversed into me but luckily I managed to side step out of the way and avoid too much damage (unlike the rear windscreen wiper of his car which did help me stay upright and also served as part of my anger outlet as he decided to drive off without checking I was okay)

2. Day 2. After an uneventful morning skiing, we stopped at a cafe for drinks and cake. The weather was good so we sat on the patio and one of my mates and I went to the bar/ counter to get our order. On the way out i managed to find the ice patch on the decking and after a cartoon like moment of flailing legs, I ended up on my a@#£ on the floor. Cue a round of applause from my group and muffled giggles from everyone else.

3. Day 3. We went to the hotel restaurant for breakfast as normal. As I finished started coughing. Im not sure what caused it but couldn't really do anything about it. I got back to my room to get my gear together and coughed some more. As I let go of a particularly fierce cough I pretty much got stuck in one position. My pack had gone into spasm and the pain was unbelievable.

After one day the skiing element of my holiday was over. I had to spend the rest of the week listening to the rest of my group telling me about how the weather was brilliant and the conditions were the best the had ever seen.

Not really embarrassing but a little cringeworthy when people were asking what I had done to injure myself. They clearly expected some off-piste tales but had to make do with my story of a mad german in an Audi, some ice and a coughing fit!!
ski holidays
just to clarify a few points about my completely true story......i dont wear underpants because i cannot find a pair that fits properly, if they fit around the waist they are usually to small to fit the rest of me in, or if my bits are nice and snug it means their to big around the waist and they just fall down, boxers are a complete waist of time as everything just hangs out the sides. the piste patrol man did stop me but i cannot confirm that he was gay. my friend who i was with actually took some photos, but i"ve lost touch with him, but knowing him their probably floating about on the internet somewhere. anyone know where i can get a decent willy warmer.
snow report
@compostcorner, no idea old boy, but you can get pipe lagging down at Wickes for about £2 per metre.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 6-01-17 16:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Tmi, whether true or not
ski holidays
@bustergonad, sounds terrible, hope the operation works.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy