Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sestriere

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, looking for a bit more insight in to the resort. We are a couple of 50+ snowboarders heading out in Feb with our non-ski/board wives. Any recommendations for runs (for boarders), bars, restaurants, other activities not board related, thinking of the wives! would be greatly appreciated. Also any info on prices for beers, food etc. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
addo1 wrote:
Any recommendations for runs (for boarders)....

I only spent a day skiing around Sestriere last year when we stayed in Sauze D'Oulx so I have no specific recommendations except....
......do not be tempted by the run to Pragelato. It's very flat and not as pretty as I had hoped.
Equally, the run from the top of the gondala (from Sestriere towards Sauze) won't be much fun on a board. I suspect good snow conditions would allow a decent boarder to cut some corners which would make it a lot better
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=128962
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@addo1,

I've only spent a long weekend there but really liked the skiing. Can't really remember enough to be useful about which runs are best avoided on a board - only tend to watch for this if someone in your group is boarding. Only thing I remember as a gotcha was the connection back from Sauze where you CAN ski all the way down to Sestriere but then have quite a hike across town to get to the other pistes. Better to get the lift down and across.

Not sure where you are staying but we stayed in Borgata Sestriere and there is a SUPERB restaurant there - Restaurante L'Antica Spelonca I think. Some of the very best food I have eaten in the alps and food is definitely a significant part of my ski trips.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Am going Sunday, not sure what conditions going to be like but il let ya kno if I find any flat spots!!👎
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks or the replies so far, we are staying at the savoy edelweiss in the centre of town on a H/B basis but will still fancy one or two evenings out as well as lunches piste side etc. @borntoboard, please report back as it will be great to here first hand how things are.
really need to find some things for the wives to do, I know there are buses that could get them/us to oulx or further afield but apart from ice skating in sestriere I am not sure what else there is.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Theres a few shops and restaurants in the town square ,Come the evening its bit of a ghost town thou,if your looking for a bit of evening Apres ski forget it.

But there are one or two bars and restaurants or as we did a few evenings tried other hotels

I would load their kindles up with lots of books
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cheers @wasley, noted on the kindles Laughing they will be quite happy sitting piste-side, if possible, with a nice drink and watching the world go buy or reading. just need a few things to break it up with, anyone used the buses? I was thinking they could bus round to sauze and meet up with us for a bit if we boarded over for a change of scenery. also I know they can go to the top of the friateve gondola as foot passengers, is there a bar/restaurant up there? they did that quite a bit in Austria and enjoyed it. please keep the info coming all snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
read today that they do not prepare the pistes on the Pragelato side and leave it as a bit more of a freeride area, is this correct?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@addo1, The run from Sauze to Pragelato tends to be left as off piste. Obviously that requires fresh snow or it turns into a nightmare! Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from 4 days of blue skies in Sestriere.
Dining and drinking is a bit limited, but Bar Kovo is decent ish for drinks and snacks.
Pinky Bar is OK for Pizza, but otherwise options are limited.
Kappa Bar is supposed to be OK, but we didn't venture in.

As for runs, there are plenty of off piste options through the trees across the resort. If you are feeling adventurous, there is the tour on the back of the piste map which can be done in a day.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks @OTS, what are the prices like?
@letsgetpiste, is that run ok for boarding? ie is it flat or not?

really want to get around the milky way as much as possible but need to avoid the dreaded drags.........I just do not get on with them at all rolling eyes any suggestions of must do runs that avoid said nemesis of mine?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Prices were OK - €5 for a pint, €8-10 for a pizza
Quote:

really want to get around the milky way as much as possible but need to avoid the dreaded drags.........I just do not get on with them at all any suggestions of must do runs that avoid said nemesis of mine?

There are couple of pomas by the side of the stunt park, and in some of the learning areas. The only others are there to get to the very top of a couple of the pistes. I didn't bother with them - but if you want to slide the complete Olympic downhill course, you'll have to!

Great resort all round though - really loved it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cheers @OTS, not too worried about eating out as we are H/B but do you have any recommendations for eating/drinking on the hill? also are there any piste-side bars the are accessible on foot? thanks
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
is there a mid point access on the friateve gondola? if so can this be reached on blue 82 from sansicario side without having to use the drags to get to the top?
snow report
another query! everything I have read seems to suggest that if anyone has an injury in sestriere they will have to pay up front for any treatment and then reclaim off the insurance. is there any way round this? ie does the Italian version on carte niege (snow protection) cover you for medical expenses? I have printed an English version of this off, it is a bit vague but it does mention medical expenses as well as bringing you down from the mountain.
cheers
snow conditions
Just wondering if anyone is staying in Grangesises (just outside Sestriere) or going in the next week or 2 and can please take a picture of the bus stop, please? We're arriving on the 9th Feb and want to plan getting to/from the slopes. We'll have 1 car between 9 of us, should I get another car or just a transfer from the airport and use the bus to and from the slopes? If anyone can point me to the timetable, that would be great! Thanks!
snow conditions
And can anyone recommend a transfer company? We're going Thursday to Thursday so I am hoping that there is someone you can recommend who'd like to earn some money! We're 5 adults, 2 snowboard bags and 4 hold bags. We're flying to/from Turin airport. Thanks!
ski holidays
@tango776, Can't help on the bus from Grangesises... I know there is one... but I can't remember the routes!
However... contact James at sauzeonline or sestriereonline. He will get you sorted for a transfer. Someone with similar numbers to yourself got quoted about €360 return. Might get it for less!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy