Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best route from Calais to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We drove Calais to Obergurgl last Easter. Going down on Friday, we drove through France to Strasbourg(no traffic, but tolls and boring), then Karlsruhe, Stuttgart, Ulm, stopping just off the motorway near Memmingen. Next morning over the Fern Pass (we were ok but heed the warnings about traffic, there was a huge queue going north) then (this bit is optional) a small diversion to the Swarowski factory just the other side of Innsbruck and then back and up the valley past Solden to Obergurgl. Easy journey with the only hold ups around Karlsruhe.
Going back we got a 6.00 start to get over the Fern, then back to Karlsruhe and up through Germany past Koblenz, to Aachen, Brussels and the big Leclerc at Dunkerque. Going back again was straightforward, more interesting countryside and no real hold ups - the sat nav had this as the quickest route so that's what we did. Easter isn't Feb Half Term - traffic is a bit less and chances are the weather is a bit better. The odd speeder in Germany worries me less than the Anglo-Belgian racetrack between Brussels and Calais. We took on board all of the good advice on here and then made our decisions based on this advice and circumstances on the day - albeit that we missed the cheap diesel in Lux. We did get an Austrian motorway sticker to go up to Wattens otherwise if you're careful I don't think you need one. And watch out for speed cameras. Obergurgl is great, you'll love it - we had a fun evening at Davids Hutte but I think that's been taken over now
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi gingertonic yep that was the route- with a couple of google map squiggles that avoided some jams- great to drive over a stationary motorway on a little b-road! Stayed at Hotel BB in Metz- cheap and clean and functional with an all you can eat buffet breakfast (160€ for two triples and breakfast for 6) It's a chain that does the job! Also had surpassingly good steak frites at the next door Buffalo grill. Worked out at <15€ a head including beer and wine for me and Mrs Doccam (well me mainly!) and monster puddings for the kids. I'm glad to say we're repeating the experience in Feb 1/2 term Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi
For those of you looking for a supermarket in Luxembourg I can recommend the Belle Etoile at Mamer. Junction 2 having entered Luxembourg from Belgium from the E25. Turn right at the end of the slip road and it's about 5minuts drive down the road. Good range of wine and spirits. Petrol is also cheaper than the motorway
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We drive to Austria every summer and always use the Calais, Reims, Metz, Strasbourg, okay its got tolls but its a great road, quiet with no traffic hold ups, set your cruise control and just sit there all the way to Germany, we dont mind paying for the tolls for the quality and quietness of the road. We stay in the Ibis Airport Stuttgart hotel, literally one minute very easy access from the motorway if that's any help.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Guys, we are driving for the first time to Zell am See in February Half Term. We are travelling late on the Friday but are not sure how far to aim for before stopping overnight and where to try to book...any suggestions? We are a family of 4.... Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@peakesters96, You need to tell us where your start point is to work out how far you are travelling ??? Ideally you do not want to be on the Autobahn stretch between Karlsruhe/Stuttgart/Munich A8 section between 15.00 and 21.00hrs on a Friday, traffic will be bad.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Were it not for the tolls, the Calais, Metz, (Novotel here is fine, not super cheap though) cross the Rhein to Baden Baden, Stuttgart etc is easy, although there are still roadworks on the German stretch.

If you go the Lux route the Ibis budget hotel on the motorway in Lux is fine and very good value and there is a very acceptable Italian restaurant 20metres away.

If you do not mind the tolls and fuel cost, go France. If you need to eat, bear in mind the service stations peter out a bit as you get towards Strasbourg. Gammon and spinach, not bad at all.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Route 2 works for me. Fuelling up in Lux also a big bonus and the price is regulated, so it doesn't matter where you fill up. It's the same price everywhere. Spirits and some booze in Lux also way cheaper than all its neighbours.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Once upon a time I would have recommended a snowtrain - I can remember talking the train from St Anton to Calais. Pleasant and sociable. Champagne breakfast with skiers I had been with during the week on the homeward ferry. What wasn't to like? Actually, train travel is still an option.
Quote:
Overnight rail travel has always been an attractive prospect for skiers, making the journey part of the holiday and adding two extra days on the slopes. The good news is that this is now possible from the UK to Austrian ski resorts, travelling with a combination of Eurostar, Thalys or ICE, and NightJet sleeper train, arriving in Austria only minutes from the villages and slopes of many fantastic ski resorts. The journey involves:

1. Eurostar from London to Brussels
2. ICE or Thalys from Brussels to Cologne
3. NightJet sleeper train from Cologne to the Austrian Tirol

And then ski, ski, ski...!

Read more at https://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/train-guides/eurostar-nightjet#bgCFwqWbTF7Wr1ec.99
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy