Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guess a ski area Part 1

Poster: A snowHead
Bringing to new page:

My guess:

Winter Park, Colorado.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thelem, Thanks for copying to the new page.
Unfortunately not Winter Park.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Park City Mountain Resort
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheapski, Not Park City either.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like there is an airstrip which is dead on to the angle the picture has been taken at off the side of the highway
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The terrain looks a bit like Death Valley. Mammouth perhaps?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It looks like Utah. Brian Head, although I think the valley is the SLC valley so maybe somewhere off there.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, Brian Head and that's Highway 15 heading up to SLC in the distance.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philwig, Yep, Brian Head.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brian Head, a fine place, I escaped from awful Las Vegas to ride there. I didn't think the locals had really met English people before. I stayed in some mom & pop place where they had pizza and weak beer. I was probably the only snowboarder on the hill. My last winter trip there was around 1995, with snow conditions good but no fresh tracks.

Gimmie a minute.

Try this. An oldie from the late 1970s, using the imgBB source for the 1st time, 35mm probably originally Kodachrome 25, scanned to digital in the late 1990s.

host gif online
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Obergurgl
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Right continent, and not all that far away as the crow flies... but wrong side of the border.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Madonna di Campiglio
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Livigno ?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Andalo?
ski holidays
Arrabba?
snow report
@denfinella, correct. That's impressive.
Probably the area at the top of the main lift from the village.

https://www.paganella.net/it/mappa-piste
snow report
@philwig, it was a very lucky guess.

But there are a few clues: north facing given the lack of snow on the opposite slope; a big, low valley to the east; probably Italy because of the clues you give in response to the Obergurgl guess, and in particular, it was mostly likely a resort which has a long history of UK visitors. Andalo is almost always mentioned on SHs by people reminiscing about old school trips! Laughing

Can someone else go?
latest report
@denfinella, I have been to Andalo but didn't recognise it from that photo at all! So you did really well to work it out!
snow report
I have to say the most enjoyable part of this thread is reading @denfinella's investigations. Most impressed.
ski holidays
denfinella wrote:
@philwig, it was a very lucky guess.

But there are a few clues: north facing given the lack of snow on the opposite slope; a big, low valley to the east; probably Italy because of the clues you give in response to the Obergurgl guess, and in particular, it was mostly likely a resort which has a long history of UK visitors. Andalo is almost always mentioned on SHs by people reminiscing about old school trips! Laughing

Can someone else go?

Good analysis, and that's why I have that shot.

Here's another, from a different place and time. I guess I shall have to give clues. The snow conditions here
were radically different, as was the century and the technology. The snow here was about 50cm fresh and in the depths of winter; the
Andalo shot was late season and mostly bulletproof.
ski holidays
Is that mount Olympus?
ski holidays
No, interesting idea though.
snow report
I have never been just saw it on top gear and had a look at the resort after and it reminded me of it.
snow report
philwig, Sasquatch Mtn.
snow report
@Bones, Correct, called Hemlock when that was shot.
latest report
[Philwig] Never realised it was called Hemlock before, quite like either.

Have a go at this, this was first day after one of the biggest storms of the season in the area, and the drive was worth it.

snow conditions
Fernie?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No clue really, looks North America and Rockies proper.
Maybe Idaho or Montana, guessing Red Lodge?
ski holidays
Beaver Mountain ?
latest report
Not Fernie, Beaver, or Red Lodge

Klammertime, along the right lines.
snow report
Bones wrote:
...Never realised it was called Hemlock before, quite like either. ...
Bit of a secret spot. I knew a guide who used to work there, else you'd just drive past I suppose. I haven't been for a year or five, but there was a bit of a technical approach in a 2wd hire car on a huge fresh dump, but all good anyway.

It's as close to you-know-where as some rather better marketed place but when that was shot I had fresh tracks all day when the crowds had nothing fresh.
Tends to be warm and wet though compared with further inland/ north.
Harrison Hot Springs is my favoured place to stay, although it's all the sort of space where breakfasts are better than evening meals.

New image guess... dunno, it looks north western, but not somewhere I immediately recognise.
Whitewater?
latest report
Whitefish?
snow report
Doen't look like Targhee. Maybe Schweitzer though I'm sure lake is bigger and query steepness
snow report
Big Sky?
snow report
Ok so looks like you are skiing a north facing slope but I reckon the picture was taken late afternoon so you are actually skiing a east facing slope (sunlight is just around the corner). It is Bridger Bowl
ski holidays
Charlieehr, Not Big Sky, - but it is Bridger, early afternoon, by accounts around 1pm. Over to you, again Toofy Grin

Dave of the Marmottes, Interesting comments about Schweitzer as we plan to visit at some point, and Whitefish too.

philwig, Cheers for the insight on Sasquatch Mtn, typically now more our sort of place,we dont need marketing hype and happy to have fresh tracks all day, with refills if possible.
latest report
Jumping in as it has been quiet - and I have a "fresh" photo to share that was taken on Friday Afternoon - clue over Austria

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 14-12-20 0:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@extremerob, beautiful photo! It looks very much like Saalbach-Hinterglemm in the foreground, with the link to Leogang beyond and the new runs down from the Zell am See ski area at bottom right.

It might also be interesting to do: what other ski areas are visible in the photo? I can see a few...
snow conditions
@denfinella, spot-on - your turn
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy