Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canadian Conundrum!

Poster: A snowHead
I am fortunate enough to find myself with a free day on a trip to Vancouver at the end of next week. So, my question is should I head for a single day's skiing to:

a) Cypress Hill
b) Mount Seymour
C) Grouse Mountain

Have a car so distance no issue. Could, ostensibly, combine some or all of the above options!

I am probably best described as a strong intermediate skier and starting to enjoy playing off-piste. Have yet to ski double diamonds but would think a single diamond run is ok (as black runs in Europe generally fine).

Very grateful to any snowHead replying

Bonne année
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whistler or if you really want off piste Mt Baker
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, Whistler for a day trip? Bit of a hike surely?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for swift replies, Whistler not quite on for day top plus it's MLK weekend.....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think you need one of the Vancouver snowHead for this. In the meantime if you google "Cypress vs Grouse", or "Cypress vs Seymour" then you'll get hits like this one... (although it does date back to 2007)

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/95091-Vancouver-advice-Cypress-versus-Seymour-(as-a-supplement-to-WB)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@geetee, guess the Vancouver snowHead are currently out enjoying the conditions! Will check that thread and also add a 4th option:

d) Manning Park
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think you'll find that Manning Park is further from Vancouver than Whistler. It looks like Cypress has more terrain that Seymour and Grouse - here is a comparison website...

http://ski-resorts.wanderbat.com/compare/301-308-310/Cypress-Mountain-vs-Grouse-Mountain-vs-Mount-Seymour

Just scroll down for more detail.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowsartre wrote:
@geetee, guess the Vancouver snowHead are currently out enjoying the conditions!

Too cold, too much snow! wink snowHead
(Though I do have to go skiing up Seymour tonight, which is likely to be a little chilly!!)

You can do Whistler in a day without too much trouble, if you can start out early enough.

Cypress does indeed have the most terrain of all 3 of the N.Shore mountains, and is also the most "alpine" like, but also is the furthest - Since I live at the other end of the N.Shore (Mt Seymour), I always think by the time I've driven there I might as well have driven a bit further and gone to Whistler!
Grouse has the next most, then Seymour. All 3 are fun in their own different ways.

I have a season pass for Seymour mostly because it is only 10-15 minutes drive from my house, and my son trains there in the week. I'm not sure I recall skiing there for a whole day though. It was great last week with a ton of powder, and all sorts of little fun places to go snowHead

Grouse is easier to get to if snowing since you park at the bottom and get the skyride (tram) up the hill. It has a few interesting steeper runs.

Cypress is actually on 2 mountains (neither of which are Cypress Mtn!) so has quite a bit more terrain than both of the others.

No real double blacks as such on any of these mountains, but plenty of options for off piste, and ducking through the trees/glades - don't go out of bounds though as the topology of the N.Shore Mountains is pretty unforgiving.

As @geetee says, Manning park is a bit of trek. Hemlock is closer. Not been to either though so no idea what they are like.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What he said. You can do Whistler on the bus for a day trip, but I would do cypress with a car, or grouse on public transport. You can do cypress on the bus too but it's more complicated.

Minus 30 in the valley today, but inverted so still good high up. Highways still sporting.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get up early and do Whistler.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Snowsartre, minor point - Cypress Mountain not Cypress Hill, although both are known to smell strongly of weed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Richard_Sideways,
Minor (pedantic) point. Cypress ski area not Cypress mountain. wink
It's actually mount Strachan and Black Mountain ( and sort of Hollyburn Mtn maybe) - I think all sound better than cypress hill Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I always thought it was Cypress Mountain? Website (and the t-shirt bought when there last time) certainly indicate as such Very Happy

Anyway, from my limited experience I preferred Cypress to Grouse both in terms of terrain and variety, but very much depends what you are after and as pointed out Grouse is a lot easier to get too (I got the bus there last time I was in Vancouver downtown). Never done Seymour.

Also worth considering is what day you'd go, presumably the weekend? Perhaps someone else can give an idea which of the three is busiest with weekend crowds.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for advice thus far. Mount Seymour has a ton of snow and more forecast, but consensus from replies is definitely Cypress hill. Any local snowHead got a view?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm not local, by I'm sitting in the bar at cypress right now taking a rest between the sunny day riding and the floodlit stuff to come. What can I tell you? Great snow, no untracked, but on and off piste all good. Food is Canadian canteen style with no decent coffee: it's not that funky. 30 minus drive from the waterfront Fairmont. Opens at 9, no real netted to get here then although it was soft have. Temperatures,

mild to me, maybe 5 below. Great views of the city. Not busy. Ticket 66 bucks, you can probably do it cheaper if it matters. Good beginner segregation. Looks like the local kids ski school starts late afternoon.

All city hills are in the same area: they get the same snow. There's another storm forecast, for the weekend. If temps stay cold all these places will get it. If you want fresh tracks then you need to ride in it as the city is here, so there is competition. That's also true of Whistler.
latest report
philwig wrote:

All city hills are in the same area: they get the same snow. There's another storm forecast, for the weekend. If temps stay cold all these places will get it. If you want fresh tracks then you need to ride in it as the city is here, so there is competition. That's also true of Whistler.

Sort of...
East (Seymour) tends to get more I believe, but Grouse and Cypress have snow-making to give it a boost.
Anyhow, think you'll be fine with Cypress for a day. If you get some sort of super freaky heavy snow day, go for Grouse as you don't have to drive all the way to the top (note both Seymour and Cypress you have to drive up a designated mountain highway so you'll need winter/M-S marked tires)

If you don't want to drive (or are going at the weekend when it can get a bit busy, esp if it snows a lot more), I think there is a Cypress shuttle bus that goes from downtown somewhere and Lonsdale Quay (Seabus ride to the N. shore).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 6-01-17 3:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Just do Whistler.

Get the hammer down and leave early. It is 2hrs.
latest report
Yeah, the seabus gets to Lonsdale Quay from downtown (right here, in fact: waterfront), and you can catch a bus to either of the bigger hills from there. Been there, done that. The cafe at the bus station is good. I have done that in snowboard gear carrying only my boots - they have lockers at both hills so you can lock your shoes up whilst you ride, if you're careful like me (otherwise they're likely safe enough). No one bats an eye as you stride through downtown Vancouver in ski clothing.

Cypress was excellent today, I rode from first lift at 09:00 through about 17:00. The City people turn up after work, it seems. This was shot around 16:30 I think. Both hills (the one you can see and the one I'm on) are floodlit. I'm about half way from base to summit. Mixed ability here, but there's a very separate part for novices/ families which keeps the speed control all in one place. Pretty much tourist free: they're mostly very sheep like.

That's an unedited camera snap, but it looked pretty much like that to me. If I could have been bothered to take my goggles off (I *never* take them off until I'm done) then I would have shot slightly left of there and you could have seen the golden city. In the morning it was silver. To the right is water too. It's a privilege to ride here in good snow - it doesn't happen that often.

And now for some fine dining and a little city life.

The storm sounds like it's coming sooner than advertised. Currently minus 8 at Cypress base and plus 1 in Vancouver.
snow report
Nice picture! Have to say I nearly stopped on the way home to take a photo this evening as the sunset on the mountains was stunning! Cool

(how do you stick a picture in btw - still not figured it out after many years on here! Embarassed )
ski holidays
Yeah the one day I don't carry a decent camera.... the visuals were great this morning too.
---
Pictures, this is my approach:
  • Put the picture somewhere you can get it with a URL. FB will do.
  • Type any old text then press "preview".
  • Paste the URL in the preview window (doesn't work in the standard box)
  • Wrap the URL with IMG open and close tags
  • Press "preview" again and it's done.
ski holidays
That's one of my favourite views anywhere @philwig, looking right to Howe Sound too is great from the mountain.
latest report
stuarth wrote:
Nice picture! Have to say I nearly stopped on the way home to take a photo this evening as the sunset on the mountains was stunning! Cool

(how do you stick a picture in btw - still not figured it out after many years on here! Embarassed )

Click snowBase (it's next to the Search tab) and then snowMedia Zone - you can load the photo in there and then reference it using the img tags.
ski holidays
@geetee,
Great, I'll give that a go - I'm not down with kids when it comes to all this new-fangled technology lark! wink
ski holidays
@philwig,
So I'll see your Cypress pic and raise you a Whistler pic or two from Saturday - pretty nice up there! (though think you were close by so probably got to experience it yourself snowHead )

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 9-01-17 18:21; edited 2 times in total
snow report
and now I've got the hang of it, here was Seymour last Tuesday
(and yes it was really cold - nearly got frostbite taking this!! Brrrr!!!)

latest report
stuarth wrote:
@philwig,
So I'll see your Cypress pic and raise you a Whistler pic or two from Saturday - pretty nice up there! (though think you were close by so probably got to experience it yourself snowHead ) ...
wink You win.
Saturday I spent no-boarding at Powder Mountain out of a private heli with an old professional buddy. Well I did until he overcooked it: https://www.facebook.com/ken.achenbach.7/videos/10158102064700252/
That's an example of why it's important to never disregard the guide's instructions. It's all good though, no irreparable damage.

--
Highway conditions (Whistler Squamish) were pretty serious last night - in the few hours I was in Squamish eating, 20cm fell there. |tourists on non legal tyres (which is what the hire companies at the airport give them) may find it sporting. This morning I did Whistler to Vancouver and the road was clear from Squamish down, but the hill just before there caused a few traction issues with my own non-legal tyres. I only saw one collision though - a head-on between a truck and some other vehicles.

The Sea To Sky is a cruise if you hit it when it's clear and dry, but the reason Whistler exists is because it often isn't either.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy