Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Jacket Suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
So its finally time for a jacket/pants upgrade but im struggling to find jackets/colours i like. Ive got around a 400-500 pound budget for jacket so I should get one thats decent/lasts long. Any suggestions? Ive been wearing orange trowsers brown jacket previously so a change of colour may be nice!

Thanks Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stef88, that's a decent sized budget and all in the range will be good. Arcteryx, Norrona, Patagonia & Sweet are all pretty much bomb proof, so up to you on colour and style.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
still got arcteryx on sale at sportpursuit
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @Dr John, , Ill check these out. Ive also come across the black diamond mission jacket reduced to 400 but its in an orange shade again rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@stef88, yep. New this year (or last), but look very solid to me.

FWIW, I've had my eye on the Norrona for a year or two, but I'm waiting for something to go wrong with my Patagonia. 6 years (approx 18 weeks of fairly energetic use in all conditions, including the floor of a few bars) and still as good new. Dammit.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dr John, which Norrona, the lofoten? Looks nice also Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't comment on the brands mentioned above but apart from the norrona. Got the lofoten shell jacket and the onesie, both top bits of kit. I have also had good service out of my marmot gear, I'm eyeing up the marmot la meije top and bottoms off sports pursuit just now ....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stef88, The Lofoten has lots of happy users on here (I've a couple myself). As you will have seen, the Norrona kit is fairly bright, so you will be enhancing, rather than damping down your orange trousers.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 3-01-17 21:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stef88, yes, Lofoten. I'd go for shell not insulated, personal choice.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anything Goretex - the fact Goretex let them use their fabric is a pretty good indication of quality. And comes with a lifetime guarantee.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Marmot, e.g. Spire, seems as good durability although perhaps not as "fine" as e.g. Arc'tx, but arguably better vfm.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stef88, Norrona Lofoten shell in summer sales is my choice next time I upgrade, currently Sweet Protection Supernaut, great jacket too. Bought the one piece Lofoten last summer, not had enough powder yet to christen it. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I currently have a Lofoten Tamok (Goretex version) on test which I really really - prefer the fit to my own Lofoten now (at least for resort skiing, less sure about touring but we'll see).

BTW the Lofoten will change for next season. I'm not sure how and how much, but I think it will be quite different.

Another to look at is Black Crows - I think they have they best looking outerwear this season (other than the beige).

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 3-01-17 21:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stef88, are you a man or a lady?

Impossible to recommend colour combos without that knowledge
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You could check out the Goretex Scott Jackets from here: http://www.sports-outlet.co.uk/home
snow report
@red 27, haha im a guy. Late twenties. Slim. My previous combo was an orangey (not bright orange) trousers with a brown (with orange zips) jacket. Like it but had it for 5 years and starting to wear. Hence I would like another colour than orange but struggling to find something that I like/works with me rolling eyes

Thanks for all the recommendations, will look into all of these Happy Glad I held the order off for a few more days!
snow conditions
i"m a 57 year old male and my colour of choice is purple, but trying to get a purple jacket or windproof fleece that i like is proving difficult, i dont mind wearing a ladies jacket or fleece if they had anything in my size.
latest report
Some great value on Sport Persuit at the moment. I just pulled the trigger on a Marmot La Meije GTX https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/900948 £250 - down from £420. I'd been looking for about a month or so and found that not all brands are listed in their "flash sales". So type a brand in the search function and you get some additional products.
snow report
Arc'teryx do lots of jackets in Purple. Bright blues look great against Orange, for example Helly Hansen's superb elevation jacket.
latest report
Check out this company www.gearpest.com. They have some great buys in jackets with lots of colour combinations. Also doing a £25 voucher offer to chase away the January blues . Just type 25PND2017 and get £25 off your order total for any order over £100.⛄⛷🎿
ski holidays
@Gufo. That's a strong plug there!! Strange I stay just around the corner and never knew they existed!!

@jzBun. Thats the exact jacket I was eyeing up, they also have the bottoms at £199..... excellent value!
ski holidays
Gufo wrote:
Check out this company www.gearpest.com. They have some great buys in jackets with lots of colour combinations. Also doing a £25 voucher offer to chase away the January blues . Just type 25PND2017 and get £25 off your order total for any order over £100.⛄⛷🎿

Are you related to the owners by any chance?
snow report
I think you maybe hit the nail on the head there.....
ski holidays
I have Odin gear from Helly Hansen. Very good shell jacket (i.e. I stay dry in fairly heavy rain/snow) and uses Helly Tech (not Goretex) so is a bit cheaper than Norrøna gear. The better half skis with lofoten and loves both keeping dry and matching bright colours Very Happy !!
snow conditions
I've never seen anything in sports pursuit which resembles a bargain. Granted I'm an XL
snow report
I've never seen anything in sports pursuit which resembles a bargain. Granted I'm an XL
snow conditions
Ok I think im between these two - black diamond mission or the sweet protection supernaut. I will likely get some black trousers which will match both. Any help as I cant decide Puzzled

Ive actually got orange skis so leaning towards the mission jacket but ive had orange trousers for 5 years previously so a colour change may be nice.

I like the norrona lofoton but its a fraction more and the colours are perhaps a bit too bold for me.
ski holidays
Last year I went for a Hagloffs number (Couloir Pro) in Blue, from Sports Pursuit, excellent value at almost half the RRP.
Been work for approx. 6 week so far, and have to say I'm delighted with it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stef88, Cant comment on the BD one but the Supernaut is a great shell, you'd not be disappointed.
ski holidays
@DanFuller, you cant have looked very hard
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
vipul wrote:
@DanFuller, you cant have looked very hard
Very Happy Very Happy

Maybe I'm too picky Sad
snow report
@stef88, Just a thought, what size jacket you looking for? I have a size L Supernaut (green as above with blue/ green panel on front/ back) really nice jacket that I never wear, I bought it from S&R early last season and its only been worn for 1 week, I prefer my blue one. I'd sell it for a mutually agreeable price (it'd fund a couple of upgrades on my bike!). PM me if interested I could email you photos.
snow report
@Markymark29, ah too late but thanks for the offer/idea!. I went for the black diamond in the end- if it doesnt fit well then maybe I will come back to ya wink . Saw some reviews really rating it saying the hood with respect to peripheral vision was the only small fault they could find. Seems like a very durable jacket that will last for a long time and got it for 400 euros so not too bad for a 600 + euro jacket (think this may be last seasons version but not bothered about that).

Now im on the hunt for a reasonable price pair of black pants - thinking helly hansen velocity for 100 pounds. Dont want too cheap as I like them still to be breathable but I like the fit of my previous helly hansen pants which were probably a similar grade (although now 5 years old). Any other suggestions for good pants around the 100 pound mark or cheaper let me know Happy

Thanks for all the help and at least i know whats good out there to pass recommendations on.
ski holidays
@stef88, No worries....I never ski with my hood up. Sometimes put it up on v cold lifts but I like a 180 degree viz, to see the chargers coming from behind!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy