Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll or Mayrhofen

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I would really appreciate some advice. We are skiing at half term and unsure whether to go to Soll/Scheffau or Mayrhofen.
We are intermediate skiers, not too bothered about lively apres ski, just some good skiing on easy reds and blues and a warm bed with good food.

Any advice would be really helpful with our choice (We are looking at Hotel Alpin in Sheffau or Hotel Rose in Mayrhofen)

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You will find plenty of good skiing to suit you in both areas. Whilst the Ski Welt including Westendorf is all linked you can travel to different areas in the Zillertal from Mayrhofen,all within 30 min, by bus or train and its included with the lift pass. If that's not your cup of tea the Penken and Ahorn still provides plenty of piste km, but not that of the Ski Welt.
Hotel Rose is within easy walking to the Penken gondola (there is a ski bus if you so inclined) but Hotel Alpin in Scheffau is about a mile uphill from the gondola so you will need to use some form of transport but I cannot help there.
Mayrhofen is a much larger village than Scheffau and has more to do if the weather is poor. Also it's more quieter in Scheffau as a result.
Personally I prefer the variety of skiing in Mayrhofen and the village, but loved the skiing in the Ski Welt.
Off to Mayrhofen again on Saturday.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of Mayrhofen, especially with a 16 year old in tow.

I think Scheffau may be a little too quiet as we will have half a day to kill on the last day before being picked up for the airport.

Still feel torn between the 2 and with crippling Half Term prices, that doesn't make it any easier.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You won't go wrong with Mayrhofen and the Austrians don't rip you off.😀😀
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the interconnecting runs in SkI Welt are a huge advantage. Scheffau is taking the lead at the moment.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also you may find that there are slightly less queues in the Ski Welt. I love both resorts but there is often a bun fight to get on the Penken gondola in the morning (or have I read that this better now thanks to a new lift)? Even so, the larger area of the ski welt means quieter skiing in my experience. The run down to Scheffau is lovely as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aw thanks. Just need to convince my OH to book tonight and skim over the eye watering prices.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@EdYarker, the Penken lift takes 2 mins to get on now even at busy times. Slightly longer if you want a seat.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bennyboy1, Thanks. I thought I had read something about that. A much needed improvement
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If u think these two resorts are eye-watering prices then you are in for a shock elsewhere; these are two of the cheapest resorts in the alps.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The skiing in both areas is Fantastic. I've done Soll 4 times and Mayhofen just the once, 8 Years ago. It was the queues getting onto the Penken and getting off put me off from returning. If This has been addresses and greatly improved I would seriously consider returning.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skilass wrote:
I think Scheffau may be a little too quiet as we will have half a day to kill on the last day before being picked up for the airport.

Should be easy enough to occupy yourself skiing for a morning in any resort Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Finally booked up for Ski Welt. Thanks for everyone's advice. Can't wait. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
madlondoner wrote:
If u think these two resorts are eye-watering prices then you are in for a shock elsewhere; these are two of the cheapest resorts in the alps.

Quite agree - I found both these resorts to be great value and a lot more fun and down-to-earth than the glitzy Swiss and French megaresorts further west. Apres in Austria is always a blast. Always thought runs were steeper in Austrian resorts for some reason Puzzled but Skiwelt and Mayrhofen have lots of very cruisy terrain so both will suit your preferences. Food a matter of taste. Beer universally cheap and plentiful. Can't go wrong Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Penken queues should be history now that the lift has been totally rebuilt. But even if it had 10x the uplift capacity, people will still talk about queues. It'll never shake off that old image.
On the same pass both Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach have double uplift, and all 3 have completely rebuilt or extended bottom stations.
Longest queue I've had anywhere in the Zillertal in the last decade is about 3 gondola cabins, and that was only because I chose an empty one for myself rather than barge in.
snow conditions
I went to Mayrhofen last Easter and will be going to Scheffau in Feb Half Term with my 15 yr old! Mayrhofen was great, the new Penken was no problem at all (if a bit scary!) and the fun park was awesome. The apres ski was superb, starting at about 1pm Wink

Looking forward to Scheffau - the draw of skiing the Ski-Welt was a factor.

See you there
ski holidays
@skilass, You wouldn't have gone wrong either way. Don't miss a day out to the Westendorf side. It is an easy link via Brixen. The three long valley runs from Westendorf 111, KiWest and 11 are some of the best in the area. Beware though, 11 is a proper leg burner (and there is a steep section with an easy diversion) If it is crowded above Sheffau (that means having to queue not skiing straight in to the lift!) then Westy can be less busy. Try Brechornhaus just off blue 119 for lunch. Slightly off the beaten track as it is hidden in the trees.

One warning to be aware of, Skiwelt skibusses are split, Brixental (Brixen/Westendorf and also linking to Kitzbuhel) is separate from Soll/Sheffau/Ellmau. You can't easily get back from the Brixental by bus so allow time to get back up and over to Sheffau side
snow report
@Col the Yeti, I'm off to Ellmau in a few weeks - thanks for the tips about the buses
ski holidays
@dobby, We have stayed on the Westendorf side where the buses are excellent. For some reason the two tourist boards for Brixental and Wilder Kaiser do their own thing and don't link up, even though the ski area is completely integrated. Enjoy your trip - you get the new lift to replace the rattly old railway up Hartkaiser so there should be even better access from Ellmau now.
snow report
@Col the Yeti. Thanks so much. I've noted down your recommendations and will definitely give them a go. I'm new to this site and I love getting some tips from other skiers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy