Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skier dies in La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
I hardly ever post on this forum - I just read the weather and bits and pieces but I keep noticing that this thread is going on and on and on.

Am I only the one that thinks it is in really poor taste to be having these tit for tat spats on a thread about a poor man that lost his life? Spare a thought for his family and start a new thread to have your one upmanship arguments on.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Skikitten1972,
Quote:

Am I only the one that thinks it is in really poor taste to be having these tit for tat spats on a thread about a poor man that lost his life? Spare a thought for his family and start a new thread to have your one upmanship arguments on.
You aren't alone, but I think you are in a pretty small minority. The point was raised recently, and as others pointed out the discussion moved on a very long time ago from discussing the La Plagne incident. For someone who probably joined this thread very recently it might appear strange but if you had been here throughout then you would appreciate that, like most threads, it's a conversation and conversations do switch subject quite fast. I honestly don't see how anyone, even the poor chap's family, is likely to be offended by a heated but utterly abstruse argument about pole tapping and the like. Like you, I dislike the one-upmanship that develops in some threads and is usually fomented by just a few people, but I don't think that's really an argument to try and preserve certain threads as a shrine to those who have lost their lives on the slopes or elsewhere.

Personally, the threads that I find irritating are the ones that start with news of someone's death (on-slope or off) and are then followed by half a dozen comments like 'Our thoughts and prayers are with them'. Chances are that the posters haven't prayed for years and probably won't spare the poor victim a second's thought after they have pressed 'enter'. There also seems a mad rush to be first to post news of someone's demise. In some ways, you have to ask yourself what the purpose is of posting news of a skier's death if it isn't to discuss it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tankerdriver wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/EtjSTjKiIxU

I see near misses every year, this is an example caught on film where there was a collision. Practise the code, stay within your limits and be wary of others around you.

Interesting video. Skier who causes the collision would seem to be 100% at fault with no mitigating circumstances.

What amused me though was for what seems to be a safety video it also contained the following features:

1. Snowboarder isn't wearing a helmet - Personally I have no problem with this but it's a little surprising in light of the context
2. One of the safety notices shown warns skiers to beware of distractions - the boarder seems to have a pair of music headphones on!
3. GoPro is mounted on a nice pointy stick with plenty of jagged branhces sticking out
4. t the end, the boarder follows 'best practice' by calling 'On your left' as he comes through, but in my view he is passing people far too closely and much too fast
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The video also had this priceless comment attached by a viewer:

"I slammed into a little girl last season she was laying around trying to detach her snowboard on the down side of a jump. I managed to crash in a way where I took most of the impact rather than her but I was so pissed."
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nelly0168 wrote:

Reads to me as -

"No drama mate, it's all down to personal choice - but that's not going to stop me telling you why your choice makes you seem like a dumbass putting yourself in danger and inconveniencing everyone else on the mountain. Did I mention that you are also an idiot not wearing a lid commuting to work on a bike path? But, hey, again......your choice, jeez you helmet Nazis need to take a chill pill"

Obvs a degree of artistic licence, but perhaps time to jump off that high horse?

I wrote "that's only my opinion" literally to mean "that's only my opinion"

In my opinion, wearing a helmet is unquestionably the right thing to do, because it protects a part of your body that really doesn't like getting bashed.

I also think that we all have a duty to minimise risk to an acceptable level, in order to not unnecessarily occupy the emergency services on the mountain.

However, it is only my opinion, and until it is a law, we all have a right to make the choice.

No passive aggressiveness. i openly said that I don't understand why anyone would choose not to. Therefore it's not passive, because I said it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
The video also had this priceless comment attached by a viewer:

"I slammed into a little girl last season she was laying around trying to detach her snowboard on the down side of a jump. I managed to crash in a way where I took most of the impact rather than her but I was so pissed."

Ah that's one circumstance where the poster might actually be in the right. There is a bit of a problem in the US with kids going into terrain parks and not following the rules or etiquette - hence they should only be accessed from the top single entrance where large warning signs are posted. Of course not all parents recognise this and are apt to let their kids in through the side to "have a play".

Chances are this guy didn't spot properly and was in the wrong but he might just be in the right if the kid didn't enter the park from the top.

On safety grounds alone I don't think the park is any place for the principle of skier in front can do whatever the hell they like to apply.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave of the Marmottes, I'm not sure there's any reason in the world to assume the kid had entered from the side, but even if they did then surely the principle remains that it's up to the poster to make sure the jump was clear.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@foxtrotzulu, Just saying we don't know before we hang the guy - I've seen it happen kid skis into park from side and decides to have a little rest on blindside of big jump. Jumper who is following all reasonable protocols i.e. has observed previous jumper clearing the landing area has to mid-air bail because of kid.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, Just saying we don't know before we hang the guy - I've seen it happen kid skis into park from side and decides to have a little rest on blindside of big jump. Jumper who is following all reasonable protocols i.e. has observed previous jumper clearing the landing area has to mid-air bail because of kid.
Which would be the equivalent of somebody jumping out from the trees on to a piste. Hard to blame an unsighted skier who comes down the piste and collides with them as they leap on to the piste without checking that it's safe to do so. Ditto somebody who lands in an unsighted zone that somebody has wandered in to from the side.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
@Layne, I'm always amazed at how people that don't wear helmets feel the need to comment on those that do.

Very much much the opposite! The amount of self righteous knobs that comment to me about not wearing a helmet, my SIL is the worst but she is the type that walks into the middle of a piste and sits down underneath a brow to put her snowboard on!
I have no doubt at all that IF my head hits something hard as a result of a crash or collision, a helmet will reduce or prevent an injury but I utterly hated having a helmet on when skiing so I don't bother.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tangowaggon, as I subsequently clarified, the two aren't exclusive. Just because I pointed out that people comment on helmet wearers doesn't mean that I pretend it doesn't work the other way too. I'm equally baffled that people like dp feel the need to comment on those that don't wear them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skikitten1972 wrote:

I thought the same, but as mentioned, it mostly happened organically and, in places, lead to some interesting points. Sure most of it is schoolboy mudslinging, but that's forums for you.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Proposed addition to the rules. Keep your views on the wearing of ski helmets to yourself unless asked to give an opinion.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rule 85 - If you aren't going to wear a helmet ensure you at least have fabulous hair

(that's me & Grandma sunshine lidded up for starters)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Grandma Sunshine wrote:
Proposed addition to the rules. Keep your views on the wearing of ski helmets and rucksacks/backpacks to yourself unless asked to give an opinion.

Slight amendment.
ski holidays
dp wrote:
swiftoid wrote:
@dp, other than a helmet what protective items do you wear when skiing? Back protector? Wrist guards? Padded shorts?

Me personally... Helmet , back protector , gloves and boots. And goggles.

Shouldn't you wear arm protectors as well, just in case you hurt yourself shoving other people out of the way?
ski holidays
dp wrote:
swiftoid wrote:
@dp, other than a helmet what protective items do you wear when skiing? Back protector? Wrist guards? Padded shorts?

Me personally... Helmet , back protector , gloves and boots. And goggles.

Shouldn't you wear arm protectors as well, just in case you hurt yourself shoving other people out of the way?
ski holidays
Really??

You got up at 8am to contribute that?
latest report
Can't believe how this thread is still running.

No doubt someone on here will be suggesting the sad victims of the Italian Hotel tragedy should have been wearing helmets and transceivers before they went to bed rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy