Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski resorts in Germany

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all - Happy New Year Very Happy

Does anyone know of / can recommend a family-orientated resort in Germany, suitable for a family of beginners (children aged 8 and 5) and driveable from the UK? Considering this for next Christmas so would also need to be snow sure at that time of year. Not wedded to this idea, just looking into options at the moment

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Anniepen, given the situation with snow over the last few Xmas I would recommend either Garmisch or Oberstdorf. They have good snow making facilities and have managed to provide top to valley skiing this winter despite there being exactly zero natural snow. I personally would not book for Xmas in advance any more, but I realise this is difficult with family etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Anniepen, none of the German resorts are really snowsure Christmas week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gämsbock, none of the resorts anywhere in Austria have had any snow this year either! It's 100% artificial or nothing. This is hopefully changing as I type this. I understand the situation in the rest of Europe is pretty patchy as well.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Steilhang, that doesn't make the German resorts any more snow sure! As I understand it, some parts of Austria are doing ok based on snowfall from November. I'd consider places like Zermatt, Saas Fee, Tignes, Val Thorens to be fairly snow sure as they have plenty of high terrain. I saw a good (more extensive) list from Clarky99 on another thread, I'll try and find it.

Edit, here it is:

clarky999 wrote:

Despite the last three years having no bearing on next, if I was planning to ski next Christmas I wouldn't book anything other time off (and possibly flights) before start of Dec at which point you should have some idea of how the season is shaping up.

If you can't do that, choices should include:

- Dolomites, as they don't seem to need any natural snow at all for extensive piste skiing
- Ischgl - cold, snowy, north-facing, high, lots of snow cannons
- Obergurgl - as above but higher (though maybe slightly less snowy and more NW-facing)
- Val Thorens - as above but even higher
- Resorts with a glacier - Mayrhofen/Zillertal, Tignes, Zermatt, Sölden, Saas Fe, L2A, etc
- Saalbach and Schladming as they always seem to be cold and have snow (plus lots of cannons, and being on meadows they don't need much).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 3-01-17 10:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Steilhang, @Gämsbock, thanks - I did think this would be the case but Germany appeals so worth a look at the possibilities I think - will research further but grateful for your insight
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Anniepen, I have skied around Bavaria while based in Munich. The local resorts are fun for a day or two but I wouldn't go there for a week. Many places weren't open at Christmas this year, or were very limited. The locals all head to Austria where the snowmaking is so good that for beginners they will have a good area open whatever the snow at any of the major resorts.

Garmisch has a glacier area which is pretty snow sure BUT

The glacier and the "classic" are different lift passes which is weird and expensive. The glacier alone is pretty small and it is high and exposed, which can be a cold and uncomfortable place for children to learn. One early season I skied there and had to duck into the cafe every ten minutes or so to thaw out because of the wind chill.

It is a town in the mountains rather than a pretty village resort, The skiing is reached by a pretty clunky train which itself is a walk from much of the accommodation. I wouldn't call it family-oriented. There are many families at all the Bavarian resorts at weekends, but they drive there for the day, so there is less going on in the villages.

I don't want to put you off, I have had great days at German resorts, but I would look at going a little bit further into Austria for a family holiday.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Col the Yeti, thank you too, very helpful Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Col the Yeti, to be honest the snowmaking in Garmisch is better than in Austria. Friends were over in Ehrwald a couple of days ago and told me they had stopped making snow, resulting in pistes that were rock hard and full of scared Dutch. I was in Garmisch a few days ago and found the conditions were much better than expected with skiing extending from the top of the Kandahar lift ( start of the downhill race ) all the way down to the valley at both Kreuzeck and Hausberg.
Other friends were over in Ischgl between Xmas and new year. 100% artificial snow, as it is in St.Anton and elsewhere.
I would not ski the glacier in Garmisch unless they have > 3m of snow and all lifts are open. If that is the case then it can be a lot of fun, especially the off piste. I also would avoid any of the Austrian glaciers when there is no snow elsewhere for the simple reason that they are so full you just spend your time standing in queues.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Aside from snow conditions (and presuming they were good) would any of the resorts suggested be suitable for beginners/children? Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Anniepen,
Feldberg is suitable for children and beginners, but I have no idea what snow would be like at Christmas (it was OK last Easter). It looks a bit too green at the moment.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@musher, @Anniepen, Feldberg has been completely green and closed for skiing the last two Christmases at least.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 3-01-17 13:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steilhang wrote:
@Gämsbock, none of the resorts anywhere in Austria have had any snow this year either! It's 100% artificial or nothing. This is hopefully changing as I type this. I understand the situation in the rest of Europe is pretty patchy as well.

^^^^This is not really accurate. There has certainly been snow around here (not massive amounts of it) but the valleys are all white, the trees have snow in the them and there are no white strips tearing down a green field.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang wrote:
@Col the Yeti, to be honest the snowmaking in Garmisch is better than in Austria.

???? Massive generalisation. Snow making at Planai, Schaldming is 100% coverage. The investment and infrastructure within Ski Amadé alone pushes it to the forefront of snow making within Europe.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Steilhang, Don't get me wrong I like Garmisch, and they do a good job of snowmaking. I think if the OP is looking for a resort early season for beginners then it is not the best option. My last trip in slightly dodgy conditions the long runs were in good condition, anyone lapping the Kandahar or over on Alpspitz had a great time but the only real learner area is at the top of Hausberg and that was crowded and scraped.
latest report
flangesax wrote:
Steilhang wrote:

^^^^This is not really accurate. There has certainly been snow around here (not massive amounts of it) but the valleys are all white, the trees have snow in the them and there are no white strips tearing down a green field.
In fact there has been snow on the fields here as well. Just not enough to even think about skiing on. I really wasn't directing this against Austria, given that I spend a lot of my time there ( albeit not at your end of the country ).

Anyway, long story short, I would not book an Xmas holiday anywhere this far in advance. I would wait until the last moment and see what's going. With the conditions of the last few years there are plenty of good deals going and you can always get something last minute if you are willing to be flexible. But I do understand that this is not easy if you are bringing an entire family!
snow conditions
Well off topic I know but more years ago than I care to remember I first put on a pair of skis at Braunlage in the Harz Mountins. http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/wurmberg-braunlage/
latest report
Sauerland
latest report
814man wrote:
Well off topic I know but more years ago than I care to remember I first put on a pair of skis at Braunlage in the Harz Mountins. http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/wurmberg-braunlage/

Although I never skied there, I visited Braunlage in summertime in 1988 and took the chairlift up to the top. At the top was an old derelict ski jump and also from there there was a good view of the very near East German border wall with a watchtower manned by East German border guards! I see the link I've given states that after German re-unification the ski jump was rebuilt and used again for competitions, but it closed in 2014 and is not being replaced.
ski holidays
No-one has asked so I will. Why the insistence on Germany?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy