Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunday change overs in Italy?

Poster: A snowHead
We are looking into going skiing on the 19th February (children are still at school, so no flexibility with the week we go). I have a prior commitment on the Satuday, so we couldn't fly then, but there are still some reasonably priced flights to Milan Sunday-Sunday.

Does anyone know what the change over day usually is in Italian resorts? Our TO's seem to be Sunday, but if we book flights we will be DIYing it.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@annaa, TO's are often Sunday, but hotels booked DIY might be different. Dolomites seems to be Saturday. Probably choose a resort and have a look before you book.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I regularly ski for less than a week in Italy over school half term and have no difficulty in finding hotels which will take a 5/6 day booking so day Sunday to Sunday should be fine. Typically the smaller hotels are more flexible, pick a few resorts then use google maps to identify where the hotels are, then it's just a case of firing off emails to those you fancy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @HellsBells and @OldDog. We have mainly skied France and I really have no idea about resorts in Italy, particularly from a DIY holiday perspective.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Smaller hotels in smaller resorts or away from the lifts will usually accommodate shorter or irregular bookings.

Well-located apartments will usually insist on a Sat-Sat booking, but maybe it would still be cheaper to rent one for the week (arriving a day late) and get a hotel in a non-ski location on the way back to Milan for the final Sat night.

You could probably do the same with a hotel that insists on Sat-Sat bookings but would accept a 6-night booking within that, do 6 nights Sun-Sat in resort and the final Saturday night on the way back to the airport.

Do you have a resort in mind?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm doing a Friday-Friday the previous week for half-term in the Dolomites. I found a B&B down the valley for the first night, then 6 nights in an apartment nr to all the lifts. The kind owner even discounted the weekly rate to take account that we won't be there for the final Fri night.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @luigi - that sounds encouraging! I have mainly been looking at the Aosta valley as a start, but as I am much less familiar with what there is in Italy, I'd welcome suggestions Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Annaa, we are staying in la Villa (Alta Badia, Dolomites) and eventually found a hotel with a Sunday changeover day. Almost all hotels were a Saturday though. Interestingly we are going over half term but from 10th-19th Feb and staying in Venice from 10th-12th.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Our hotel is Pensione Camoscio for your reference. I think hotel stores in San Cassiano possibly did a Sunday arrival too and it looks like a very nice hotel.

You may find you struggle to find accommodation in the Dolomites area though around half term as most of it appeared to be booked up by the summer!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have a look at MountainSun who have a chalet hotel in San Cassiano. Sundays are the normal change-over
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
San Cassiano from Milan? Aosta much better option (2 vs 5 hour transfer)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
San Cassiano from Milan? Aosta much better option (2 vs 5 hour transfer)

You're right, of course - Embarassed
I didn't see the OP mentioned "Milan" but I did see someone else had mentioned the Dolomites.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="annaa"]We are looking into going skiing on the 19th February (children are still at school, so no flexibility with the week we go). I have a prior commitment on the Satuday, so we couldn't fly then, but there are still some reasonably priced flights to Milan Sunday-Sunday.

Does anyone know what the change over day usually is in Italian resorts? Our TO's seem to be Sunday, but if we book flights we will be DIYing it.

Thanks[/quote

In our experience searching for self catering accommodation in the Corvara area they have all been saturday change over day, when the flights were sunday to sunday resulting in us missing the first day, and having to book a night In Innsbruck/Munich on the saturday night.

Also - please be aware that car hire in germany/austria is a given with regard to winter tyres and hiring snow chains whereas in italy it's not always the case.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi @annaa, if you want to travel on Sunday the best bet would be just call the hotel/TO direct and ask if they can do it. Most hotels will be OK with it.

We do mainly Sunday change over throughout the season in Italy, also some Sats (but mostly Sundays).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone. Have decided to see what we can find in either Pila or La Thuile as ski school (which we want for the children) in both these resorts runs from Monday to Friday, so we are hoping there will be a greater Sunday to Sunday availability.
ski holidays
Crystal ski holidays via Turin are on Sunday, so you should be okay with a DIY to Western Italy resorts
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy