Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Refresher ski lessons - which is best?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have noticed that I seem to have become more nervous and less good at skiing! I was a typical English intermediate (4/5 weeks) then had 7 years off (kids !) and now we have had two ski holidays with kids and I have become more nervous each time! It hasn't helped that each time the snow wasn't great, slushy or icy. We are going again beginning of March, Pila, kids are booked into ski school and I want some tuition. ⛷

is it better to have 2 hours private lesson on day 1, or is it better to spread out the tuition to say 1 hour per day for couple of days. Husband is a boarder so can't go together.. could even do ski school with others for 2/3 days. 🤔
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hils68, 1 hour is hardly enough for the instructor to observe your technique, get up a lift and then do a couple of drills. I would opt for a 2 hour block, and preferably 2 or 3 of them or go with the group
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had a refresher session last year in Soll & opted for a 2hr one. I went on day 3 - spending day 1 (a short day by the time we'd got our ski is' lift pass etc sorted) & day 2 finding what ski legs I still had by doing a few runs & identifying which ones I had greatest difficulty with. Ski instructor then concentrated on what I wanted to do. Felt much more confident for the rest of the week - definitely worth it & am thinking of doing the same again this year. The main thing for me on my holiday is to enjoy it as much as I can & the more confident I feel the more fun I have 😀
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
IMO. The first day or two should be spent getting your ski legs. Then I'd do a 1x2 hr lesson, which will give you stuff to work on for the rest of the holiday.

Another option might be 2x1.5 hr lessons (if available) on day 2 and 4....and arranging to meet up the mountain on the second lesson, if possible, which saves a lot of time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Hils68, 1 hour is hardly enough for the instructor to observe your technique, get up a lift and then do a couple of drills. I would opt for a 2 hour block, and preferably 2 or 3 of them or go with the group
+1
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hils68, If you are anywhere near (say 2 hours of) an artificial snow dome (fridge) then I would book some lessons there and get your ski-legs back at less cost than on holiday.They will give you technique in your own language and you can still take lessons on the holiday. Yes, 2 hours is best.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fridges are not cheap. I was quoted £440 for a 4 hour private by the snow dome yet st Anton private tuition for the same time came in at €240
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DanFuller wrote:
Fridges are not cheap. I was quoted £440 for a 4 hour private by the snow dome yet st Anton private tuition for the same time came in at €240

+1, also in a fridge the slopes are barely long enough to work on much stuff, plus a lot of the so called instructors are pretty poor from what I've seen, granted they will be some good ones, but there are a lot who can't ski very well let alone teach.

Fringes are good for a quick session to get your ski legs back pre holiday or to learn as a complete beginner.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
t44tomo wrote:
... also in a fridge the slopes are barely long enough to work on much stuff ...
In which case you're probably doing it wrong wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
t44tomo wrote:
... also in a fridge the slopes are barely long enough to work on much stuff ...
In which case you're probably doing it wrong wink

Or put another way, it's much easier to learn something if you can follow an instructor or vice Versa down a 500m run than 160m.

We're all normally doing something wrong, that's what keeps you instructors in business. 😉
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd vote for some private 2 hr lessons, but I'd also add some fitness training if you don't already do it in the two months before your holiday.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy