Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sharpened edges at Ellis Brigham...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I took my Volkl RTM 81s into Ellis Brigham for a sharpen. Skied a season on them without any sharpen and they were still pretty sharp by the end. But am heading out to Tignes on Thursday and given the conditions lately, I thought it'd be good to get them sharpened before.

Went to pick them up today and the ends towards the tips are completely smooth! I get detuning, but they didn't need it and certainly not extending 20cm past the tips... My instinct is that such an extreme de-tune has taken a fair amount of material off - is this going to reduce their service life?

Haven't checked the tails as I left them with EB so I can speak to the technician in the morning. I'm not 100% savvy on ski servicing, hence why I'm posting here. Can anyone offer their piece? Please be blunt - I'm quite concerned and want the truth. They weren't cheap! Confused I was shocked by how flat the tips were - near 90 degree angle...

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Normally I would expect to see the ski de-tuned from the end of the 'effective edge'. The effective edge of the ski is what you would normally want sharp, since this is the part of the ski forming the turn. Then you would de-tune the everything outside that, to prevent catching an edge unexpectedly.

For some reason manufacturers never want to talk about effective edge so I can't find it on the Volkl site.

Generally speaking, and this is in no way a dig at your decision making, I would encourage you to learn to do your own edges. You should definitely do it more than once a season (a lot more!) and it leaves you able to change the angle. I normally run on 88dg but end of the season I had them at 87 to grab the icey snow a bit better.

You should be able to get a basic edge tuning kit for around about £100 so it's something you should look to do yourself, IMO.
I don't trust ski shops, with the exception of a few. Too many will ignore whatever you say and simply put everything through at 89 or 90 degrees and if that means filing off a ton of material they just go for it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
De-tuned only to end of effective edge, but no further, ditto for tails.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is so helpful, thank you! I service my own skis but am nervous about doing the edges as I've never seen them done before and I'm very much a watch and then hands-on learner rather than a Youtube video learner. It's something I really want to get under my belt, but haven't had a chance yet. My season was in the backwoods of Japan and there wasn't a service shop that would let me see them do it, so missed out on it there.

The effective edge is on the tip and tails - they're a tip&tail rocker ski so definitely ballsed up that one. Kicking myself, but lesson well learned. Thank you, the advice is much appreciated! Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@natasha, http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/2015-06-24-18-47-39.html

do this and then spend circa £100 on kit and you'll be set for life snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@natasha,
http://youtube.com/v/QW-dVUaSZ8s

effective edge defined , 20cm of rocker sounds about normal for smallish rocketed ski , so you might be ok
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy