Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpine Vulture Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We were in Paradiski last week and were very lucky to see a Lammergeier circling above Les Arcs as we returned towards Peisey Vallandry. From a distance I thought it was a buzzard but then when we got about 100 metres from it I could see it was huge in comparison! It circled the thermals for a good five minutes above us and we stood in awe. It was truly majestic. I'd never seen one before and the only live vultures I've seen before were in zoos.

A local man confirmed what it was and said that sightings are quite rare but this adult vulture has been seen a lot above Les Arcs. I wish I had my go pro that day but sadly left it at the apartment.

Anyways keep an eye out for them they are so huge and beautifully coloured impressive birds.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jirac18, there has been a nesting pair in the Peisey-Nancroix valley (between Les Arcs and La Plagne) since the early 2000s - stunning birds when you get a close up fly-by!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes I saw it last year above Vallandry - blooming huge! Very beautiful and graceful too. What a treat to see.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did some research when I got home and some sources suggest there are now only 100 breeding pairs in Europe so a real privelage to see one in full flight so close.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very, very cool

And a very cool name!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Spotted before https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=60538&start=160

I'd forgotten that thread but a Google for "Azed" and "lammergeier" returned it Laughing

Have seen them in the Pyrenees but not in the Alps so far.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks@jirac18, will keep my eye out when we're there!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In previous years we have seen them above Palafour in Tignes le Lac and looking out of our chalet in Val d'Isere, (we also saw Golden Eagles). We are always on the lookout for birds. December in Tignes produced no birds of prey for us.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yoda wrote:
Spotted before https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=60538&start=160

I'd forgotten that thread but a Google for "Azed" and "lammergeier" returned it Laughing

Have seen them in the Pyrenees but not in the Alps so far.

If the OP is talking about Gypaète barbu (Gypaetus barbatus) there are 150 breeding pairs in the French Pyrenees and 900 individuals. As for other Vautours, they are more or less common.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The bearded vultures are a success story for the Nancroix valley, we went to a film and presentation in Peissey last year which told of how some adolescent birds from the valley had been re-settled in the Vercour. It was fascinating, and a high point was when the presenter passed around a flight feather from an adult bird, it was flippin enormous!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy