Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada here I come, even if it is cold

Poster: A snowHead
Just filling in time till I catch two coaches to Gatwick then two flights and another coach to Silver star, arriving about 34hours from now. The snow is looking good,
http://www.skisilverstar.com/my-mountain-info/mountain-conditions/webcams
But the temperatures are as low as -24'c this week Shocked
My first time in N America, meeting up with my brother.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Nothing wrong with cold temperatures if you have the right equipment, and keep moving, the problems come if you have to stop for any prolonged period. We had -34C (with wind chill) on Asahidake, and apart from the odd cold hand didn't suffer unduly, mainly because we were boot backing between runs.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Best thing for frostbite is to stop at a Shopper's Drugmart and get KT tape. Place on cheeks and nose.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't worry about it - it's cold but typically only really cold at particular elevations. Today it's much warmer than the last day or two.

Don't have any exposed skin. You can buy stuff to cover up at the resort if you don't already have it.

Don't over tighten your boots, and waggle your toes to make sure the circulation's good there.

Silver Star isn't that large and there are strategically located huts etc where you can easily warm up as and when needed. I'd say conditions in the Okanagan should be pretty epic at the moment.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've "only" experienced -20C in Norway (and looks like I'll see it again this week in Åre). I stayed out too long on the first morning and my feet were like blocks of ice when I took my boots off at lunch. Quite considerable pain as the feeling came back, but no lasting damage. After that I stayed out for max one hour stints.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've used those toe warmer teabag things which stick onto your socks when I was in Banff in -25c, seemed to work well, also stopped frequently in various huts to warm up.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tangowaggon, Enjoy the trip. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I skied at Åre when it was -24c but no wind. It did not feel as cold as skiing at Glenshee at -10c with a strong wind.

@tangowaggon, Have a good trip
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tangowaggon, seriously cold, particularly if you get significant wind. Take care, find out what the locals do to cope, and let us know how you get on.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tangowaggon, I've been floating around the NW for 4 weeks and it's been BRUTAL!!! So come prepared of at least be prepared to bend the plastic for some bits of extreme weather gear. I had to repair a plastic airline fractured in the cold . . . I got frostnip in my fingers in less than 3 mins and my propane torch wouldn't light to warm the ends to let me make the joint. I really can't emphasize how much trouble you can be in if things go bad so make sure you have a proper survival pack with you at all times.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sat at Middlesbrough bus station at the moment, it can only get better from here Very Happy
I normally run quite hot but the extremities still get cold and when it gets bad in Europe, the hood on my jacket goes up, tucked ito the top of my goggles and my scarfe tucks into the bottom of my goggles to cover all skin. I look like a knob but why change the habit of a lifetime rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I guess it depends on the individual.

I ride here a lot, never had any issues. I've felt colder in Yorkshire. Your mileage may vary.

Don't expect to walk around much in jeans and without a hat, but it's no big deal. I spent all afternoon. Out there pouring with sweat today. Lots of sun, windy, not particularly cold.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yup; I don't think it will be that cold this week. -24C seems pessimistic for the low
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are currently in the Okanagan at Big White(out) and have been since before Christmas. It was colder before we arrived, since we have been here it has been only single figures below freezing, the temps appear to be on the slide again though -14 today, with wind chill down to -25. It has also snowed pretty much every day so we are skiing fresh pow. We have a 7yo and 9yo and they are not yet complaining of the cold.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tangowaggon wrote:
Just filling in time till I catch two coaches to Gatwick then two flights and another coach to Silver star, arriving about 34hours from now. The snow is looking good,

I think untamed double black diamonds will be r8ght up your street.
snow conditions
tangowaggon wrote:

you passing through Vancouver Gary? Whistler would be right up your street.
snow conditions
@tangowaggon, enjoy the trip. If it is really cold, just view it as an excuse to eat more - the body will generate a lot of heat if required, so long as properly fuelled! I'd echo the earlier comments about toe warmers (and also suggest hand warmers). They don't keep your digits warm, but they help keep the blood circulating, which keeps them tolerable. I found taking my boots off at lunch breaks really helpful too, though on a couple of days, it took a few minutes inside until the plastic warmed up to bend enough to let the foot out!
ski holidays
[quote="cameronphillips2000"]
tangowaggon wrote:

you passing through Vancouver Gary? Whistler would be right up your street.[/
quote]
sat in Gatwick at the moment flying to Kelowna via Calgary , apparently we are going to Kicking Horse as well to call in on my nephew for a couple of days. It made me chortle as the Canadians described -16' to -24' as "cool"
snow conditions
Those hand warmer/ toe warmer tea bag things are ok if you really need them.
If you are outside in the hot tub and its -30 then Its a good idea to wear a bobble hat.
ski holidays
[quote="tangowaggon"]
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:

you passing through Vancouver Gary? Whistler would be right up your street.[/
quote]
sat in Gatwick at the moment flying to Kelowna via Calgary , apparently we are going to Kicking Horse as well to call in on my nephew for a couple of days. It made me chortle as the Canadians described -16' to -24' as "cool"

Are you flying the Westjet one out to Kelowna. Little plane that makes quite a descent at the last minute........... Laughing
snow conditions
@rogg,
yep, that's the one, on the ground waiting for the shuttle. Its quite tame compared to flying into Queenstown NZ
snow report
Eldorado is not the run to do on a freezing cold day, watch out for the bumps at the bottom of it turning left before them is better but not always obvious. People keep hitting the caution sign and taking it out.
snow report

I survived the first day of -19'c, only had to stop once to warm my toes up but the skiing is a breath of fresh air compared to European skiing, there is something for everyone here, from a good number of steep and narrow unpisted black and double black diamond runs to well groomed cruising runs.
snow report
Shh shhSh.
Next thing you will be telling people about the lift queues.
If its still this cold in a months time I am off to costco for a big pack of toe warmers.
At least the skating pond is frozen.
snow report
tangowaggon, looks as we remember the place - looking forward to getting back there this Feb, and skiing some of the new terrain that's been opened up Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
The arctic stuff is supposed to be blown out by a storm on Saturday/ Sunday. It's inverted though, so should be warmer higher up. The snow's a bit squeaky - not the fastest with these temps.
snow conditions
philwig, quite like to hear that squeak at times Toofy Grin
latest report
I love squeaky snow, same noise as when you pack a good amalgam filling snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
joneski wrote:
Shh shhSh.
Next thing you will be telling people about the lift queues.
If its still this cold in a months time I am off to costco for a big pack of toe warmers.
At least the skating pond is frozen.

What lift queues? ....oops! I took a lift today, I was the only one on it! Plenty of runs that I was the only one on them. My brother had gone to the airport to pick up his wife.
latest report
Top tip, but maybe too late for you is the DryGuy boot covers
https://www.amazon.com/DryGuy-BootGlove-Boot-Covers/dp/B000MTRX9U?tag=amz07b-21

may seemcrude but do a great job at coping with the days when it gets to -30 before you even include the windchill... and a Dissent balaclava works well for the head...

Last -30 experience it was only the fingers that suffered thanks to the above bits - now have a 3 glove system prepared just in case(!) ... one pair of 'lobster' mittens i have is a somewhat looser fit so perfect for on top of a glove liner with a light arcteryx spring skiing glove between the two. Should do it wink
latest report
I skied spirit bowl yesterday, (double black diamond) really good but a few twigs showing and white elephant today which is just single black but bumps from top to bottom, again, it's great to have some genuinely challenging piste skiing.
latest report
I think I may have a problem. My biggest concern over this trip has been staying with my brother and his wife for 18 days. The SIL is mrs angry, embarrassingly rude,
even worse than my brother who is bad enough! I'm struggling with the atmosphere already and two weeks to go Shocked I may need an escape plan Sad
ski holidays
tangowaggon wrote:
I'm struggling with the atmosphere already

You will be if they read this. Shocked
ski holidays
SameSun hostel if you get desperate and need to move out. I haven't stayed there but mkght be worth a look.
latest report
tangowaggon, Go hire yourself a vehicle and head off somewhere for a few days, finding some cheap accommodation.

Revelstoke, Sun Peaks and Big White are all within 2 hrs drive. Head down to Rossland ( 4 hrs approx. ) and ski Red Mtn and Whitewater for some variety, easy to find somewhere to stay. Plenty to do in 2 weeks. It may cost you more than you thought but well worth it while over there.
latest report
I endorse what the others have said, take a bit of time out and end your trip back with family, that way you get great skiing and keep family unity.
snow report
If you dont want to hire a car you could catch a shuttle bus to the airport then from there a shuttle to one of the other resorts. There are buses between resorts you will have to ask in customer services. Some of them are designed as day trips some to accommodate people moving to a new resort. We have used them to get from Sun peaks to Silver Star for a few days and from there to Big White for a couple of nights then to the airport.
snow conditions
@tangowaggon, they may be thinking the same about you too! Everyone should get a break. Do what The others suggest and do a mini road trip
ski holidays
Is the exchange rate hurting more than the cold yet?
ski holidays
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Is the exchange rate hurting more than the cold yet?

Too right it is! Silver Star is hardly a major resort but prices are higher than the likes of La Plagne , even in the mini mart in town it's £10 for 6x 330ml beers, my brother did a food shop in Vernon where it's cheaper but still spent £400! /$600.
I knew the pound is down against the euro a little bit but didn't realise how badly it had collapsed against other currencies, presumably the euro has collapsed too.
There is a plan with bro and sil to go to Kicking Horse for a couple of days but this will mean accommodation and pass to pay for in addition to everything else.
Paid £18 for lamb shank on a bed of mash with 6 green beans the other night in a place with torn vinyl seats, it must have been a very young lamb, there was more meat on a chicken leg. We complained and got a free desert but will be eating in from now on. Live n learn
Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy