Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Currency Exchange at Vancouver Airport Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Folks, Happy New Year. I wonder if anyone can offer advice about exchanging currency at Vancouver Airport - I wouldn't normally exchange at the airport, but I have left over US Dollars which I want to change to Canadian Dollars (no upcoming travel to US on the cards so may as well use it), and obviously don't want to lose out by doing an exchange into pounds first here in the UK.

If all goes according to schedule we have 2.5 hours between landing and then taking off to travel to Kamloops (for Sun Peaks ski area) - does this allow enough time to visit an exchange kiosk in your experience? Factoring in collecting baggage, getting through customs etc?

Thanks in advance for any input Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Guess I should have titled the thread advice needed!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NEVER change money at the airport or ferry terminals. Wait until you are in Kamloops and us a local bank. Airport exchange booths are the biggest thieves since the money changer in the temple!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
NEVER change money at the airport or ferry terminals. Wait until you are in Kamloops and us a local bank. Airport exchange booths are the biggest thieves since the money changer in the temple!

I wouldn't normally use one - this will be the first time. The problem is for this trip we are travelling with a tour operator, so won't have the the freedom to travel into the centre to a bank before going to the resort, it will be out of the airport and onto a transfer coach. We won't need a car in the resort so haven't hired one, and it is something like 45 dollars bus fare - and a ski day wasted - to get back to Kamloops to use a bank, so the poor exchange rate at the airport is seemingly the only option. Given the poor exchange rate of the US dollar to the UK pound it is not worth it for me to change the dollars into pounds and then into CAD here.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with @Old Man Of Lech, you will loose 10-15% of your cash at an airport exchange booth compared to normal bank. The Canadian banks in the resorts will be used to American guests and US$
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Would a decent UK based currency exchange not be able to change directly from US to Canadian dollars??
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
endoman wrote:
Would a decent UK based currency exchange not be able to change directly from US to Canadian dollars??

I wonder.... Thanks for the suggestion Endoman, I hadn't thought of that, I assumed I would have to change it to pounds before converting to CAD. I will check that out.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PowderAdict wrote:
Agree with @Old Man Of Lech, you will loose 10-15% of your cash at an airport exchange booth compared to normal bank. The Canadian banks in the resorts will be used to American guests and US$

Problem is there is no bank in Sun Peaks PowderAdict Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@skidoodle, check the rate your hotel will offer now. Lots of places will take US dollars too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @holidayloverxx that's another option I guess. I didn't want to presume that they would take US dollars in shops etc. I guess if they do they fix the exchange in their favour, which is understandable.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's what I love about this site - not only a straight answer to the question, but also unthought of alternatives come up also. Big thumbs up and thanks to those who have posted so far.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Heard back from the hotel, and while they don't do money exchange as such, they accept US dollars as payment, as do all the restaurants and shops in resort, and there is an exchange desk located inside the pet store. The Sun Peaks website doesn't mention this, just that there are cash points in resort. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skidoodle, excellent!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most shops will take US$ look for the exchange rate near the till. There are cash points we haven't managed to get one to work without phoning back to UK bank and having a rant. Then it will work once then a further rant ...
Now we use a prepaid cc in CD.
Cc works.
Pet shop is at the top end of the village shops right hand side as you walk away from the village centre.
It was last year.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy