Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Phone Ski Apps - Recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Does SkiTracks have a find your friend option? I am thinking of putting this on my daughters phone for while they are at ski school. At least if they was to phone I would roughly know where they are! Not that I am hoping they have a reason to phone. They might also find the app interesting
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bluedusty Ski Tracks doesnt but some of the others mentioned before do.

Also depending where you're off to the resort might offer one, eg the Grand Massif app records and shows friends
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Incidentally, this discussion, like the backpack one, has all happened previously at least once. Just look back to see the thread on Skitracks accuracy in much more detail.
Er, when posting my original query,
I didn't know the names of any ski apps (hence the question wink!! ) - so a search could not have involved the word 'Skitracks'.

Anyway, glad I posted - Skitracks duly purchased and downloaded today for first day of our hol in Aosta Valley. Skied Courmayeur today and quite impressed by the Skitracks results - much more informative than my (broken) altimeter watch Very Happy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
robandliza wrote:
I'm no techno but presumably it can deflate all the above as well inflate then?

It depends how the app works but if you take something like Strava it uses a satellite derived altitude database to "correct" altitudes. GPS altitude accuracy is not that good anyway. Now the problem is that in mountainous terrain if your gps signal is a few meters off that can put you 10 meters down a slope or 10 meters up a slope. Look at the GPS data from phone apps where there is no barometric gps when used in the mountains, you get lots of ups and downs and all those errors are cumulative, they don't cancel each other out.

You can apply a smoothing factor, but what factor do you apply?

Barometric altitude has its own shortcomings but are generally much more accurate.

Still I guess it amuses people say "I was skiing 130kph down that blue".
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Incidentally, this discussion, like the backpack one, has all happened previously at least once. Just look back to see the thread on Skitracks accuracy in much more detail.
Er, when posting my original query,
I didn't know the names of any ski apps (hence the question wink!! ) - so a search could not have involved the word 'Skitracks'.

Anyway, glad I posted - Skitracks duly purchased and downloaded today for first day of our hol in Aosta Valley. Skied Courmayeur today and quite impressed by the Skitracks results - much more informative than my (broken) altimeter watch Very Happy.

If wasn't suggesting you SHOULD have looked at the previous thread, merely suggesting (mostly to others) that if they were interested they COULD look back at the previous thread for more info.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Paradiski Yuge is ok (and great for live lift info) but I found it would stop half way through your day without you realising, which was a bit lame. Nice to look at though, unlike skitracks.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the info @Jenniper
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I dropped SkiTracks for Skitude this season. So far so good, I only wish I could transfer my ST runs to Skitude.

Take care,
BB
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
EarthWindandWater wrote:
@bluedusty Ski Tracks doesnt but some of the others mentioned before do.

Also depending where you're off to the resort might offer one, eg the Grand Massif app records and shows friends

thanks for the info 👍

We are off to Avoriaz on the 21st. Think I will try Maprika then. Cheers again
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I like skitracks too, the only issue that I wish it had a basic edit tool (e.g. Delete a segment) as I often forget to stop it at the end, so I get tracked doing 120 km/h on the Autoroute on the way home.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Whitters, i think you can trim tracks now...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
EarthWindandWater wrote:
@Whitters, i think you can trim tracks now...

Oh yes, via the map. Thanks! Duly updated now
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Got to vote for Maprika again, as well as others as mentioned it also has plenty of facilities to export your tracks to your PC and onto Google Earth if you prefer looking at them on a bigger screen. It is also possible to submit your own map if the piste map hasn't been updated or there isn't one.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
but as you say, it flatters egos

I can't speak for everybody but you've got to be a bit of a knob to have your ego inflated by seeing your days data on ski tracks.

My ego is only inflated when I take on a challenging slope and make a good job of it. That is personal to me and really only I can judge. Ski Tracks or any other app certainly can't record that.

I very much suspect 95% of users just use it for a bit of interest and/or fun. As in blimey I covered a lot of vertical today or blimey, I hit 55kmh - I wonder when that was, while they are having an apres cuppa or beer.

There of course always an occasional knob who likes to self publicise their exploits for ego purposes but I would say it's quite rare.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another vote for Skitracks. Sure, it's not 100% accurate and entirely possible to fool it. (My top speed on all my tracks is 107 km/h, but it was clocked up on the Val d'Isere funnicular railway in the tunnel. it uses the GPS to figure out if you're going up or down to decided whether to include it in your stats, but in a tunnel there's no GPS so it took it as a bona fide result!) As loads of other people have said, it's just a bit of fun, isn't it?

Not sure if the other apps do it, but Skitracks also displays on my Pebble watch (poor man's Apple Watch) so I don't have to keep taking my phone out of my pocket, which is an advantage.
ski holidays
Just wondering if anyone has worked out roughly how much data is used by the tracking app? I am aware that they use GPS which is not data but I presume to use the friend finder both party's will need data on? I can imagine it's a very small amount but just nice to know what data card to get. I am hoping 1gb will be more than enough.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy