Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Phone Ski Apps - Recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
As I like to know how much vertical I've skied (as well as the time wink ) I normally ski wearing an altimeter watch.

However, it's broken at the moment so I want to give a phone app that will do the same thing a whirl.

Any recommendations folks?

Ta.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

I'm a big fan of SkiTracks. I use it outside of snow use as well for recording runs, walks, routes... easy to use. It maps and animates your route if you want to show off in the bar later. Free version is fine as well.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 31-12-16 9:39; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah SkiTracks is good for showing an overall day. I'd take the max speed accuracy with a pinch of salt but for showing an overall day, distances and elevation its really good.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski tracks is brilliant. Some people do take the max speed 'with a pinch of salt', but after much research I think it's a great deal more accurate than we give it credit for (even if not 100%). It's superior in almost every way to an altimeter watch.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski tracks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Definitely check out skiline (www.skiline.cc), most places are part of their system, it tells you which lifts you've taken, distance/altitude km etc. But what is really fun are the ski movies, there is usually a short slalom run somewhere in the resort (they're listed on the homepage), it films your run and uploads it to your account - also has a leaderboard so you can see other peoples runs too! Ski-geek heaven Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And the beauty of skiline.cc is it doesn't use any phone battery life. It's ace if you are just mildly interested in approx what altitude and distance you've skied in a day, rather than whether you have broke your own top speed record.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shiva_71 & t44tomo wrote:
SKILINE!!

It looks nice, but Skiline requires iOS 8 and Skiline 2017 requires iOS 9... bit of a bug for those few of us left on iPhone 4's Confused
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for SkiTracks

Also SkiTracks 1.6 is about to be released which has been programmed with most European ski resorts so you won't have to manually enter where you went... it'll work it out for you. It will also have support for Ski Touring, Cross Country skiing and Dog Sledding.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been a fan of ski tracks for ages now. Never let's me down and gives me all the info I am looking for (and more). Free to use as well
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
letsgetpiste wrote:
shiva_71 & t44tomo wrote:
SKILINE!!

It looks nice, but Skiline requires iOS 8 and Skiline 2017 requires iOS 9... bit of a bug for those few of us left on iPhone 4's Confused

It works off your ski pass not your phone so you can check your stats in an Internet cafe or tablet? in the evening, or PC when you get home.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all Very Happy. I'll check those out.
Quote:
It works off your ski pass not your phone so you can check your stats in an Internet cafe or tablet in the evening, or PC when you get home.
So do you still have to download an app Puzzled Or do you just log into your lift pass online?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use skiline on my PC, though there is also a phone app available. The app is useful if you want to check out what what you have been doing from the middle of the piste or on a lift between runs. With the PC version you just input your ski pass number and specify the resort. Some resorts also have machines which will print a copy of your skiline when you hold your pass near the machine's sensor.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maprika
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Maprika
Pardon mikeycharlton?? Is it in Italy? I think I've skied there... Laughing
ski holidays
Another for Skitracks. Nothing to do with my user name - the app came along later!.

Also some resorts seems to have this on their "app" eg Paradiski Yuge App - But I've not used it yet. Anyone done so?
ski holidays
I think the Crystal Ski Explorer app can do it, I only use it for the "Find a Friend" function...
snow conditions
As with others, SkiTracks works for me. Strava als has a "ski" option but Ive never used it for skiing only cycling.
snow report
@mountainaddict, Maprika flavour pringles are extremely tasty.... Actually I've used Maprika before too and it's a really nice little app. Overlays your GPS (and those of others using it) onto a trad piste map, plus the usual run stats, logging etc etc.
snow conditions
Another vote for Ski Tracks. Started using it after a couple of days of the latest trip.

I would say the max speed was about accurate, 3 days it had my max speed within 1mph of the other days.
snow conditions
What are these like for battery life and data consumption ? I assume they use GPS or Google maps triangulation. I remember video ing my girls, batt died after 3 mins due to wind chill.
latest report
Phone stays in your pocket/jacket so less of a problem with cold.

My phone recorded all ski-ing day (did "pause" at lunch time). Needed a daily charge - but that's all.

Skitracks data consumption is nil as it works on GPS (unless you post images back to Facebook/email etc)
latest report
Maprika
snow conditions
What @skitrack said, ive never hd a problem with battery life...
snow conditions
+1 for Maprika. It's show your position and tracks on real piste maps. The folks @ Maprika keep the maps up-to-date; and you can even send them a map and they will enter it on the app for you. They have some pretty clever ways of overlaying GPS onto 3D drawn piste maps.

In addition, your friends can sign-up as well, and then you can see where everyone is on the mountain.

Does not drain the battery too much; but best to set the GPS update to every 1 minute or so.
snow report
Skitracks, fastest I recorded was 76kmh, that was on the bus, I forgot to pause Laughing
snow report
Are they still a thing? SkiTracks is so 2014. I must admit it has been at least 2 years since I last saw a ski tracks day report posted on FB despite the fact that 99% of my friends ski. Inflated data for speed and gradients to impress those who don't know the place. Boring and quite useless information on number of slopes, miles, lifts, hours etc. If you want an app at least get one which helps to locate your friends on a mountain. It will at least serve a good purpose, not just bragging.
snow report
Depending on where you are skiing FATMAP is excellent.

Bob
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ardoyne wrote:
Depending on where you are skiing FATMAP is excellent.

Bob

I agree, I have Fatmap and it's great (even has the Cairngorms), however it does rather suck the life out of your batteries.
latest report
never summer wrote:
Are they still a thing? SkiTracks is so 2014. I must admit it has been at least 2 years since I last saw a ski tracks day report posted on FB despite the fact that 99% of my friends ski. Inflated data for speed and gradients to impress those who don't know the place. Boring and quite useless information on number of slopes, miles, lifts, hours etc. If you want an app at least get one which helps to locate your friends on a mountain. It will at least serve a good purpose, not just bragging.

You're a barrel of laughs aren't you.

Any evidence that the app inflates the data?

To me it's a bit of fun, interest. If you think it's boring or useless don't bother.

If I want to locate my friends on the mountain I call them. Though most of the time, they are standing/skiing next to me.
latest report
never summer wrote:

Is it a secret?
ski holidays
So 2014??

Yes, in that in 2014 I wanted to know how much vertical I'd skied....and I also want to do so in 2017 Very Happy

Thanks to all for the info.
latest report
@never summer, Rather than an app to locate your friends on the mountain (never heard of Find-My-Friends?) why not ski a little faster and keep up with them? Very Happy

As Layne says, any evidence the speeds are inaccurate? I've tested ski tracks against other apps, other GPS sets, a car speedo and it always seems extremely accurate.
ski holidays
never summer wrote:

Without a barometric altimeter in your phone its going to be inaccurate. You are in the mountains GPS signals get blocked by all sorts: cliffs, ski lifts, trees, terrain. This can give widely inaccurate altitude measurements inflating slopes, speed and vert.

but as you say, it flatters egos
snow report
I'm no techno but presumably it can deflate all the above as well inflate then?
ski holidays
Not sure about GPS on phones but I used to use a hand(pocket) held garmin and I know that the altitude capability was spot on.
ski holidays
Strava could be a good bet - I use it for cycling and there is an Alpine Skiing option. Not sure how good it is at adjusting for lifts/horizontal distance etc
latest report
Does anyone know of a ski app which enables you to see where someone else might be on the slopes in the Alps-i.e. 'GPS combined with piste map' app? There seem to be a few around for US resorts but not the Alps?
Cheers
latest report
davidof wrote:
never summer wrote:

Without a barometric altimeter in your phone its going to be inaccurate. You are in the mountains GPS signals get blocked by all sorts: cliffs, ski lifts, trees, terrain. This can give widely inaccurate altitude measurements inflating slopes, speed and vert.

but as you say, it flatters egos

IPhone 6 and above does have a barometric altimeter. Not that I've noticed the accuracy suddenly changing when I switched from an iPhone 5. As for signals being blocked I think this generally unlikely. Apart from the fact that the mountains tend to be significantly more open than the average UK town (and the speed function in an iPhone works perfectly there), I struggle to see how ski lifts will block the signal. I usually access more satellites in a ski resort than I do in the UK. If spurious position calculations were giving rise to strange speed reading, then I'd expect these plots to show as outliers when you look at a simple GPS plot of the route. They don't.
ski holidays
I should have added that Skitracks MAY be inaccurate, but I've no particular reason to think so and don't believe any of the reasons possible raised so far.

Incidentally, this discussion, like the backpack one, has all happened previously at least once. Just look back to see the thread on Skitracks accuracy in much more detail.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy