Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this a good setup for a progressing beginner?

Poster: A snowHead
I've always used rental boards to date but with 2 trips planned next year and a desperate attempt to fit in a 3rd I'm thinking the time may have come to invest in a board.

I'm 5 foot 7 (and a half Happy, which google suggests is 171.5cm and weigh around 70kg (max weight over the past few years would be 75kg), my boot size is 26.5 (i.e. a UK 7.5).

I was thinking of a 156cm Salomon Pulse with Flow five or Haylo (I can't really tell the difference) bindings in medium, which roughly comes out at around £325 currently, give or take.

Does that seem a sensible setup for someone that rides en-piste only for now, has never set foot in a park and is looking to try and get in a lot more hours in 2017?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get on www.decathlon.co.uk they're selling the 156 Salomon pulse with bindings for £170 all in. Be quick. It's a great board to progress on
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow thanks for the tip, thats amazing value, couldn't turn it down...now I just need to decide on a bag...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go for a wheeled bag and use it to carry all your stuff. as airlines are quite fusssy now with allowances you don't want something too heavy. Again, decathlon do a nice value wheeled bag but dakine seem to the go to brand for board bags
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was weighing up the wheeled bag option, but did wonder if a sleeve bag could be the way forward, as I can put my boots (and anything else) in with my wife's suitcase...

That said if we can cram everything into the 1 wheeled bag it does make sense (unless they get a bit odd over the whole 'you must pack your boots separately arbitrary policy')!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wheeled Dakine bag. No one has ever looked in mine at an airport.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As long as you're under the weight limit it's unlikely they will look in the bag. At end of they day, you pay the airline for an allowance of up to say 30kg so that's what you're entitled to. Your board, boots, bindings won't weigh close to that, and it makes sense to stick jacket and pants etc in the bag for padding.

Wheeled bags cost more but you won't regret getting one
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can see the logic tbh, although most seem to narrow to fit a helmet in, that said, can always stick that in a backpack.

The Dakine Low Roller I presume is the one everyone is thinking of?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah they do a High Roller too, but then the bag itself weighs 5k Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Low roller plenty big enough for one set of equipment. Perhaps go for 165 length version or longer in case you get a bigger board for powder in the future? Should cost you around £80-90 delivered. Google can help you there
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Low roller looks ideal, I suspect I could fit everything except my helmet, which is the only reason I was wondering about the high roller, I don't need all that extra space...but the extra 14cm of height would be useful...hmm...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have the Low Roller and it fits everything nicely but I do put my helmet in my ruck sack for the plane. Some people attach their so it dangles from the bottom of the ruck sack, presumably to bash everyone on the head as they walk down the aisle of the plane, but I find inside the ruck sack works better.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah I think inside the rucksack makes a lot of sense!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I fit everything in my board bag including helmet so I think you're packing wrong. Helmet at top end, boots at tail end, civvy clothes go in my suitcase or cabin bag depending how long the trip is.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its not a question of packing it wrong...I don't own the bag yet Happy

The specs state its only 15cm high however and my helmet is at least a big bigger than that Embarassed

Short term, I've ordered one of the Dakine slimline cases, which will do for the next few trips as we'll have a suitcase for my boots and helmet anyway, but longer term I am interested in one of the low/high rollers, ideally the low roller...but the height seems an issue.

Gainz, do you have the Dakine, or are you using a different bag?
snow report
@vjmehra, I have the dakine roller bag and I also stick my helmet in there.(oooerr) I guess it depends on your helmet. I guess a full face type helmet wouldn't fit but with mine I just fold the strap/ear flaps inside and it fits easily.
ski holidays
Does your helmet not bulge a bit though?

The Dakine Low Roller says it is only 15cm high vs the High Roller which is 29cm high, do you know which one you stuffed your helmet into?

If this thread had anymore innuendo we could start charging...
snow report
Yeh mine is the low roller. There's not much difference height wise between your boots and bindings and your helmet once they are all stuffed in. Even if you don't put the helmet in there the rollers bags are so much more convenient.
snow conditions
@vjmehra, I was referring to @hellboarder post, but yeah it does bulge a bit but not an issue really. I have a DC Claimer board bag and never had a problem packing.
latest report
Ah cool thats good to know, I was worried from the dimensions it would be impossible to cram it all in!
snow conditions
Given the need to protect a helmet from any serious impacts I always prefer to carry my helmet on a flight rather than rely on the airport baggage handlers.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy