Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rossignols or Scotts? I am stuck.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Can you help... I'm really stuck between getting the Sky HD7 and the Scott Reverse. I ski mainly on piste 70%, 20% off piste and 10% park. Which is the best ski for me? I've looked at review after review and cannot decide. Went into a shop and the guy said the Scott's at £400. The Rossys were £425 from the same shop. However, decathlon are selling the Sky for £259 which is making me think... I also cannot decide what length to go for as my current skis are 170 twin tips which need replacing but are old with old tech I think. I need longer skis but not sure how long. 176 in the Scott's and 180 in the Rossys? I'm 5.10 and around 89-94 kg (it's been Christmas remember 😆. I like to ski hard and fast usually.
Any help appreciated! Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good article on ski length here...

http://www.sport-conrad.com/blog/en/ski-length-guide/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
for this price > rossis! although not piste orientated ski
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have reverse -great on/ off piste but not in deep snow!, nimble for park , light love them-max versatile ! for more free ride i use atomic alibi (98 underfoot) similar to rossis sky
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Rossis are longer and 98mm wide. So they will perform well off piste, but the Scotts will be better on piste.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Given where you ski, I'd go with the Reverse.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How did you narrow it down to those two skis to begin with?
I'm not being funny but to be either ski on the basis that it does well in internet reviews is a tad silly.

There are no bad skis being produced by major companies. It costs sufficient money to get a ski to market that nobody is going to put something out there which won't sell. All the companies have their ski testers and their endorsees and sponsored competitors who'll put next years skis through their paces before they go to the factory so by the time you see them in the shops it means that it got enough praise to warrant manufacturing it.

It's easy to look at it and just look at the length and width. What about the stiffness? What about the weight? What about the shape?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What aboutbthe colours?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
What aboutbthe colours?

I got red ones with white dots Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dp, I suppose it was my local ski shop that pointed me to those. Well those for the price anyway. I suppose I meant which would suit me better given my skiing really. Unfortunately price is pretty important to me too. Oh, and colour! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Coltnet,
If you like orange spyderjon might be able to do you a deal on something suitable.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Coltnet wrote:
@dp, I suppose it was my local ski shop that pointed me to those.

If you do decide to buy from your local shop they will mount the bindings for you too (for free).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Coltnet, My daughter skis the sin 7 (last years sky 7) as her off piste ski and calls them the ***** flappy skis............as indicated above not really a piste ski.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zorrac yeah I heard the Sin 7 were poor. Sky 7 has been upgraded and apparently are much the better for it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Oceanic, exactly. Keep costs down etc. Thanks for the guide by the way too. Very helpful.
snow report
@musher, I don't mind what colour etc I get. It's just about making sure they are right for me. Orange sounds awesome though!
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, that's what I was thinking and why the ski shop said about the Scott's. I suppose the though of a bargain at Decathlon is clouding the issue slightly!
ski holidays
@Coltnet,
Take a look at the White Dot One, they sound like your sort of thing. Before Christmas Jon had some previous seasons stock at very reasonable prices.
snow report
I know this will hurt people for me to say this but I really take the vast majority of chain ski shops, and some independents too, with a large pinch of salt. Just because I've met too many people with wildly unsuitable skis who were sold them by a shop that assured them that it was the right ski for them. I also know of people who've bought skis without being even asked about their weight or ability.

Then trying to back up what they say with internet reviews is, again in my opinion, fruitless. Why? Because the opinions of a 6'6" reviewer with 10 years full time ski experience riding well tuned skis that he's chosen to review, on a lovely day with good conditions in a good resort at the right time of year... does not necessarily reflect the needs of a 5'2" intermediate skier who wants something to do all the pistes, whatever the weather, in whichever resorts they go to. Or indeed, the opinions of a skier who is in fact not very good at skiing and writes for their blog which is not a profitable or valued publication it's just a 21 year old hobby skier's ramblings on the internet. These exist too and are not much help either.

I don't want to get boring on this because I've said it before but just test drive everything. £400 is too much money to plough into something which then gives you a sub-par week of skiing because it doesn't reflect your needs. Worse still if you've yet to identify your own needs, and skiing the ski badly makes you think that your technique is duff because you can't identify the flaws in the ski. The way around this is to suck up another holiday of paying rentals, try a new ski every day, and work out what really works for you. It's not just subtle changes - when I first did this, I went from a floppy Rossignol ski to a stiffer, harder Titan and it was like night and day.

Having the ski which properly responds to you is really important. You will hugely limit your capability in the wrong ski.

Call the hire shops in advance too - there are plenty which offer a deal where if you spend the week on rentals and then buy something from the shop at the end, they discount the hire fee from the purchase price. This is a perfect way to find the right ski.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 30-12-16 17:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Scotts.
ski holidays
@dp, thanks for that, I get what you mean completely. Trying the skis in resort is not really something I can do as I will have about 40 kids with me due to me leading a school ski trip. I suppose from the review point is that if it is the same people on the same day or at least similar conditions then at least there is some measure of standardisation, if that's even possible.
snow report
@nickr, why do you say that? Just interested to know why. Cheers
snow conditions
Coltnet wrote:
@Old Fartbag, that's what I was thinking and why the ski shop said about the Scott's. I suppose the though of a bargain at Decathlon is clouding the issue slightly!

Yup, a bargain that is too much of a compromise, isn't a bargain.

Modern skis have become so specialized, that it is reasonably important to get the right ski.

For mostly piste skiing, I personally would be looking at something between 70 to 75 (80 at most).

For a bit of versatility, around 88 seems about right...but no more, unless you start heading away from the piste more often.

....other opinions can and do vary. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy